Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So is Casey Anthony cute or creepy? lol
She's ugly, not sure what some guys see in her. I'd rate her about a 4/10, that's generous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:56 AM

663 posts, read 778,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
IMO the word creepy is thrown around quite a bit.

If you want creepy, Facebook is where it is cultivated and consumed.

Yes agreed.

Any ugly guy with very little friends and "likes" a hot girl's suggestive photo will most likely be labeled a creep.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I think you guys get the creepy feelings by how you think about a situation or what you tell yourselves. No event says its good, bad or creepy. Its only that way when you tell yourselves it is. Change how you feel about it by changing how you think about it. I have a friend who has the thousand yard stare, if you didn't know him, it can be unsettling. But he is a ptsd vet and has an eye condition. I learned that by getting to know him and asking questions. He wasn't evil or creepy.
Creepy is inherently a combination of things objectively designated by culture as creepy and personal interpretation. One person thinking something is creepy isn't negated by another person disagreeing and the reason something designated as creepy exists or is happening (e.g. blank staring) doesn't negate that designation.

So your post is both true and not true. Yes, how someone reacts to/interprets something can contribute to them feeling it's creepy but yes, there are things that are creepy independent of that as dictated by culture. Changing the way you personally feel about them doesn't negate that "universal" creepiness.

It doesn't matter that the vet has an eye condition and suffers from PTSD. That doesn't negate or invalidate someone's interpretation of the way that he looks or behaves as creepy. It just means his creepiness doesn't stem from him actually being a creep.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Creepy is inherently a combination of things objectively designated by culture as creepy and personal interpretation. One person thinking something is creepy isn't negated by another person disagreeing and the reason something designated as creepy exists or is happening (e.g. blank staring) doesn't negate that designation.

So your post is both true and not true. Yes, how someone reacts to/interprets something can contribute to them feeling it's creepy but yes, there are things that are creepy independent of that as dictated by culture. Changing the way you personally feel about them doesn't negate that "universal" creepiness.

It doesn't matter that the vet has an eye condition and suffers from PTSD. That doesn't negate or invalidate someone's interpretation of the way that he looks or behaves as creepy. It just means his creepiness doesn't stem from him actually being a creep.
yes. My idea of creepy is someone who is intelligent enough to be aware of the social norm, yet go against it because there is something wrong with them, or off (antisocial/hostile). Usually people know when to look away, when not to stare, and to soften their face to fit in socially or not scare people.

I have been around those who have Asperger's and other disabilities, and you can tell right away that they have a disability so you can dismiss it. But there are others out there who want you to feel intimidated. In fact, they get a kick out of it or else why would they do it? They are predatory/antisocial by nature and seeing that it makes you uncomfortable, fuels them so they do it more.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
yes. My idea of creepy is someone who is intelligent enough to be aware of the social norm, yet go against it because there is something wrong with them, or off (antisocial/hostile). Usually people know when to look away, when not to stare, and to soften their face to fit in socially or not scare people.

I have been around those who have Asperger's and other disabilities, and you can tell right away that they have a disability so you can dismiss it. But there are others out there who want you to feel intimidated. In fact, they get a kick out of it or else why would they do it? They are predatory/antisocial by nature and seeing that it makes you uncomfortable, fuels them so they do it more.
I've read quite a bit on this issue back when I was being stalked. Yeah, some people do get a kick out of making you feel uncomfortable, creeped out, etc. It gives them a sense of power perhaps.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:39 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post

But who is responsible for the feelings, the vet or the person feeling creepy?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,271 times
The scariest people throughout world history and perhaps the "creepiest" have, or had the ability to charm the masses. Many are, or were former politicians and world leaders. Some folks here who are being described as "creepy" are probably just people with irregular social skills, or lack human interaction on a regular basis. Most of us think we can spot a truly creepy, and or weirdo, and often we can as it is obvious, but it's the ones who can deceive with perfection that you really need to worry about.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
The scariest people throughout world history and perhaps the "creepiest" have, or had the ability to charm the masses. Many are, or were former politicians and world leaders. Some folks here who are being described as "creepy" are probably just people with irregular social skills, or lack human interaction on a regular basis. Most of us think we can spot a truly creepy, and or weirdo, and often we can as it is obvious, but it's the ones who can deceive with perfection that you really need to worry about.
Yeah, a lot of the worst creeps can slide under the radar so to speak.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
I find this creepy:

Old 04-07-2014, 02:28 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
No woman has ever been creepy that I can recall.

The only type of woman that has really 'turned me off' is like the homeless, wino, toothless type. I mean, even then, I'm not above hanging out with them and shooting the ****, but it's a turn off in terms of romance.

Here ya go

JB Fanvideo - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships