Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times

Advertisements

Awkward moments are funny as eff if they aren't done by me, and would probably cause me to like her more because it gives her more humanity in my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I'm also curious about examples of awkward moments. And I'm wondering how the OP came to the conclusion that they have become unwarranted deal breakers for so many people in the last few decades.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Its hard to answer without an idea of what an awkward moment is in this context. Are we talking about long conversational pauses, or accidents? Or are we talking about when someone reveals something they feel is light hearted or harmless, but reveals something about their own self or character to the other person which they do not like.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 AM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
So you state that a person who could be denying himself/herself a great & fulfilling relationship yet your last relationship that had more than a few awkward moments didn't work work due to compatibility issues. Perhaps the person who isn't willing to dismiss awkward moments isn't being shallow, self-absorbed, narrow minded or all three but cluing in on some potential compatibility issues shown by the awkward moments. The person could be or couldn't be a great & fulfilling partner and some people may see the awkward moments as showing more of the person couldn't be the partner they want. In my opinion if one is dissuaded enough by the awkward moments to reject the person then it's more likely that the person couldn't be a great & fulfilling partner.

In my opinion you post seems a bit of the giving a chance mindset and I don't do such as I find it tends to work out horribly as I see it as not actually wanting the person but giving them pity hoping it'll work out.

Also in my opinion it may be suited to judge a person based on those few occurrences if one is seeking a partner they actually desire as that would entail judging if the person is worthwhile for such. I'm a bit unsure why it seems so many people are against being judged for their behavior/words/actions in dating when I find the point would be to judge whether you want to be with the person.
You don't seem to understand what I am saying. I am referring to just a few awkward moments early on (i.e. a man or woman being noticeably nervous on a first date, making a joke or saying something that might be funny to someone else but not their date, a long pause or two during a lengthy conversation, or like someone else on here said, burping accidentally in front of your date).

The truth is that there will almost always be a few awkward moments early on when dating someone. Unless things continue to be awkward after the first few dates, my view is to always give a woman a chance. Because what matters to me is true compatibility & chemistry and I really don't believe at all that a few awkward moments early on are any kind of indicators as to potential chemistry or compatibility issues.

The problem with your mindset is that you think it is ok to judge someone's value as a potential partner based on a few awkward moments, even if everything else goes just fine on a first or second date. However, it isn't, because your type of mindset is the type that severely limits your options when dating and significantly decreases your chance of finding the right person. I am not going to limit myself or potential miss out on meeting the woman that God put on this earth for me just because of a few awkward moments early on.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I have noticed that, during the past few decades, it seems like many women and some men seem to think that a few awkward moments during the early stages of dating a person are complete deal breakers. The problem that I see with that is that a person could be denying him or herself a great & fulfilling relationship with a particular person just because of a few awkward moments early on. I have noticed that young women especially trip out over a few awkward moments more so than young men do.

In my honest opinion, I think that those people out there who are willing to overlook a person or dismiss them entirely as a potential partner over something ridiculous as one or two awkward moments, are people who are either shallow, self-absorbed, narrow minded or all three.

In my last relationship a year ago, there where more than a few awkward moments early on, but the main reason that things didn't work out between me and my girlfriend was the fact that we both realized that we didn't have very many things in common and NOT any of the awkward moments that happened early on.

I honestly think that men and women both need to stop tripping out so much over a few awkward moments and realize that early on in a relationship, those moments are going to happen and not to judge a person entirely based on those few occurrences.
Haven't read any replies yet but I think people expect to much...of themselves and their dates. They want to put their best foot forward and look/be the most attractive they can to the other person. They need to relax and learn to laugh at themselves sometimes. Awkward moments can happen in ANY situation but I think people tend to worry too much about it., especially in dating.

I suppose it would depend on the awkwardness of the situation too. It could be something small and funny or something disgusting and NOT funny. I agree with your second paragraph.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
This sounds like the beginning of an Onion article where very personal and specific events are generalized by the author for comedic effect. What are these awkward moments you speak of? Without any concrete examples, you really don't have a point to make. I do know someone who insists that he needs three years time before his true quality can shine through. He constantly rails against the unfairness of first impressions and how shallow it is to judge based on limited contact. However, the reality is, life is short and time is precious. Even if we risk making a snap judgement based on something superficial, people aren't willing to devote more time just to prove themselves wrong.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
In my experience, I find that if the woman is attracted to you, awkward moments are more forgivable.

Now, I'm not saying you have to be good looking so do not take it that way. I'm saying that there has to be a strong connection of some sorts. Maybe I'm talking about chemistry.

Let me say it this way, just because you are good looking does not mean that she is attracted to you.

This is as clear as I can make it I suppose.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
This sounds like the beginning of an Onion article where very personal and specific events are generalized by the author for comedic effect. What are these awkward moments you speak of? Without any concrete examples, you really don't have a point to make. I do know someone who insists that he needs three years time before his true quality can shine through. He constantly rails against the unfairness of first impressions and how shallow it is to judge based on limited contact. However, the reality is, life is short and time is precious. Even if we risk making a snap judgement based on something superficial, people aren't willing to devote more time just to prove themselves wrong.
I gave a few examples in my last post and made a pretty solid point. You obviously have no reading comprehension skills. Also, when you speak of people who are willing to get together with someone based off of shallow reasons because "life is too short," that isn't the majority of people. In fact, those few people who do get with others based on shallow pretenses are the ones that end up wasting some of or all of their best years on someone who is either abusive (physically, emotionally, ect.), distant and only wanting one thing out of the relationship (i.e. sex), or overall, isn't their true special someone.

Your posts fails to make any kind of relevant point (except for the fact that a small amount of people in this world make dumb, rash decisions to get with someone and then have it all fall apart later).

Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
In my experience, I find that if the woman is attracted to you, awkward moments are more forgivable.

Now, I'm not saying you have to be good looking so do not take it that way. I'm saying that there has to be a strong connection of some sorts. Maybe I'm talking about chemistry.

Let me say it this way, just because you are good looking does not mean that she is attracted to you.

This is as clear as I can make it I suppose.
Great post. I agree and yes your point is pretty clear. I am a good looking guy (however, I don't boast about it) and I never expect a woman to like me based solely on looks. If that is the only reason that she likes me, then I don't want to be with her because that is shallow and doesn't represent a true connection/chemistry.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,567 times
It's people's nature, there is nothing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships