Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:30 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
That's a huge income discrepancy there. He either makes pennies or you're rich.
lol! no to the former...I'm an emergency medicine doc...unmarried, no kids...live well below my means...etc.. I save a lot .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 01:31 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
So which one is it? Do women want traditional roles were the man pays for everything and he is expected to be "the man" and we treat the women like damsel in distress, OR are men and women equal and women can do anything a man can do, like the feminist tell us. So therefore woman should be expected to carry their own weight?
What feminists, who, where.

First of all I don't believe that women today don't share in the dating expenses. The majority of women on this thread do.

Some of you guys that constantly complain about women not paying and equate this with equality don't understand what is meant by equality. You also don't seem to mind that in nearly every other aspect of relationships or when the dating evolves into more that women still fall more into that traditional female gender roll. Taking a backseat to your job or interests, domestic duties, taking a mans name in marriage, sacrificing career for child care and such.

Why cant you find a happy medium. We can be equal and different at the same time.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM

92 posts, read 101,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe. But what's the difference between paying for a coffee date, and going gallery-hopping? A coffee date is virtually free, anyway. I think a lot of women are interested in dates that are fun, and allow for conversation. Some may expect a dinner, but those aren't the ones you'd want to date ultimately, are they?
Why wouldn't he or a man want to date a woman who expects a dinner date over a coffee one? Different strokes, different folks. I'm an early 30's woman and never had any man not want to take me on a date or date me long term because I suggested dinner at an expensive restaurant for our date. And I've been in long term relationships, so some men do want to ultimately date those types of women. I think it's wrong to judge based on what we think is the correct way to date.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulblueskies View Post
Why wouldn't he or a man want to date a woman who expects a dinner date over a coffee one? Different strokes, different folks. I'm an early 30's woman and never had any man not want to take me on a date or date me long term because I suggested dinner at an expensive restaurant for our date. And I've been in long term relationships, so some men do want to ultimately date those types of women. I think it's wrong to judge based on what we think is the correct way to date.
I was responding to a specific poster who repeatedly complains about women expecting the guy to pay, or having shell out money for a date. You should see the types we get here! I think all women like dinner dates, but I also think it's good to be flexible, and not take anything for granted.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:36 PM

92 posts, read 101,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was responding to a specific poster who repeatedly complains about women expecting the guy to pay, or having shell out money for a date. You should see the types we get here!
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
lol! no to the former...I'm an emergency medicine doc...unmarried, no kids...live well below my means...etc.. I save a lot .
That's awesome! I'm not rich, so I've dated guys who made half my salary, but not much less than that.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:39 PM

31,040 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
That's a huge income discrepancy there. He either makes pennies or you're rich.
Thats what I was thinking. I have only dated a couple of higher level management types that have out earned me. Large inequity of that kind is not a good thing from my experience.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:44 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
Quote:
That's awesome! I'm not rich, so I've dated guys who made half my salary, but not much less than that.
Aww, thank you .

It's a tough balance, dating-wise. He's had to, and still continues to, resolve many issues within himself concerning my salary and our relationship/dating life. I often time believe he feels like less than a man b/c I earn considerably more than him. But I'm pretty humble about my salary and really never suggest that we go somewhere or do something expensive (well, except for our anniversary, his bday, etc). In general, I do try to allow him to do things for me b/c I know that's what makes him happy and gives him confidence.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Thats what I was thinking. I have only dated a couple of higher level management types that have out earned me. Large inequity of that kind is not a good thing from my experience.
I think I agree with you. I think it complicates things when one person is WAY better looking than the other or if one person makes a lot more than the other person. Both situations can work, but more often than not it will lead to problems.

I dated a doctor, who in my opinion was very nice.. however she never invited me out, always chose expensive restaurants and never paid because I was the one who asked her out.. If I tried to do something cheaper she'd turn her nose up.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:47 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I hear what you're saying, but it seems a lot of women its all about "equality" when its convenient for them and then run back to tradionial dating roles when its convenient to them as well.
So avoid those women. Just know it doesn't make us feel bad or want to change when you make accusations that don't apply to us personally in the first place. Nor are we going to tell other women what to do. So I am not sure what the point is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships