Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times

Advertisements

I second the volunteering idea. A local teen shelter will have kids there who would love to have someone come in and help them bake cookies, make crafts or just hang out. And there are still dogs to be walked and cats to be fed at the Humane Society.

Or else maybe take a cruise.....I would opt for that if i didn't have a child at home.

I think there are more people out there than you would guess who are in the same boat as you. Maybe check out a local meetup group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
There is nothing wrong with staying home by yourself. Volunteering is a nice distraction, sure, but it's not for everyone. If anything, maybe you can lie to your family and tell them you're doing volunteer work just to get them off your back. Unplug the phone. Get the fire going. Have some food around. And just spend the day alone. It's okay.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:20 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
Have you considered a grief counselor? i am sorry..I cant imagine how hurt you must be this time of year...please be well and take care of you.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:27 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Often times I choose to be alone for the holidays and I am far happier spending my time doing something I CHOOSE than being with others because of trying to please them or because how it looks. Sometimes I choose to work over holidays, and feel good about making money that I can enjoy at my leisure doing things that bring me joy. Sometimes I treat it (the holiday) as just another day, and do what I would ordinarily so as not to pressure myself to do or be a certain way. I find it helps to do things that are very pleasing to me, so how do you pamper yourself? What kindnesses large and small can you do for yourself that are gentle, kind, loving, and sweet? Those are personal to you. For me it's good books, quiet time, good take-out food, and being very, very gentle on myself. Some years it's been a stack of videos or going to the movies several times a day. So do things that are easy for you, undemanding, pleasing in some way, even if it's quiet time, or R & R. By all means if you don't feel like being around people then don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships