Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:38 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I can and do know how.

But this post didn't ask about men. It asked about the WOMEN.
This additional info makes a big difference as to how to interpret your earlier post.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,872,263 times
I cook, I don't care. Cooking isn't anything high on my list because I eat out 7 times a week.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 PM

23 posts, read 39,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know where you get this. In a world of almost equal pay, women co-provide. When there are two earners in the house, there should be two cooks. Or one of the earners can cook, the other can clean up from each meal. It's not a big deal.
And btw, women do approach and initiate. Not all women, but many do. Men complain, though, that they're not interested in the women who approach them. :/
Co-provide? One person is the breadwinner, the other person is the beneficiary of living with someone who has more than them.

I've never seen/read/heard a man complaining about being approached. And, I'm not saying that women should approach... it's just... if most women believe in 'gender roles' when it comes to getting the ball rolling towards a relationship (and dating up) it would seem weird that they no longer believe in 'gender roles' when it comes to cooking and cleaning.

So far, men in this topic don't seem to mind getting the short end of the stick. I guess this is attitude is why modern females feel comfortable abandoning their end of 'gender roles.'

Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,427,520 times
I feel the same way about them as I do men who don't take the time to learn basic skills

Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,018,560 times
I can make scrambled eggs, instant oatmeal, and make cold sandwhiches. Anything much beyond that is a nope. I HATE to cook. I hate being in a kitchen, I hate pots,pans, measuring...the whole works. Its my husband's kitchen. I on the other hand keep up (or try) the rest of the house, the dogs, the bills, cars, yard.....Need I go on? In short, he can carry his "*# in a kitchen and make dinner. Its not going to happen if left up to me. I'll run to the grocery store and have some steamed salmon made for me if he's too tired, and thats fine. I did the same thing before we were married too.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,572,387 times
I could care less and on the occasion she does try to cook, I'll helicopter her to make sure she's doing it right anyhow, so I might as well do it myself. What she lacks in cooking skills, she compensates for with other attributes and qualities.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,769,580 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

If you want to go back to the 1950's you can.

And by the way I can cook.

But this shouldn't be the deal breaker.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-13-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,492,959 times
It's so individual....I don't see how blanket statements can be made. I dated for years a man who LOVED to cook. He enjoyed the whole process - it would be taking something away from him to sit and have it done for him. My aunt is the same way - unless they are sick or something, they want to be in the kitchen whipping up their creations.

I for the most part do not cook much, so this worked out well for me :-)

For the short period of time that a man actually supported me to stay at home, I still worked, in the sense was that our strategy was to 'take turns' learning business ideas so that we could both eventually not have a boss.

I learned to cook the things he liked. My days were not as long and hard as his. Simple respect and consideration.

If the tables were turned, it would be simple respect and consideration to learn to cook for me.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim71new View Post
Co-provide? One person is the breadwinner, the other person is the beneficiary of living with someone who has more than them.
ok, you need to clarify your OP, again. You said in a world where there's equal pay.... Now you're talking about one breadwinner + one beneficiary per household? Most households these days have 2 breadwinners. What planet do you live on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim71new View Post
I've never seen/read/heard a man complaining about being approached. And, I'm not saying that women should approach... it's just... if most women believe in 'gender roles' when it comes to getting the ball rolling towards a relationship (and dating up) it would seem weird that they no longer believe in 'gender roles' when it comes to cooking and cleaning.
They do here on C-D. They say the women who approach them aren't the ones they're interested in.

You're missing the point. Quite a few women don't believe in gender roles for getting the ball rolling towards a relationship. Gender roles are kind of over for a significant segment of the population. Women approach. Apparently they're just not approaching you. In case you hadn't noticed, it's the 21st Century, and both genders are approaching, both (or neither) are cooking and cleaning. This isn't universally true, but it's a strong trend.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,607,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
But this shouldn't be the deal breaker.

How can you tell a man what should and should not be a deal breaker??

It is his choice??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.