Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:23 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,773,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post

The other thing that I'm curious about is why do some people look at a profile repeatedly but never even say hello, or wink/whatever? I'm not talking about clicking on one and then realizing you've already seen it. I'm talking about checking one out every day for over a week.
Oh, I can answer this!

I used to do it when I did OLD.

For me it pretty much "is" realizing I already saw it. I just can't remember faces is all it boils down to. I would click on a profile and read it and think, "nah, I am not a match for him," and move on. Next day I would search, click on the profiles and realize that I had actually just looked at the same profiles the day before... I completely forgot their faces. And yes, sometimes I would do this 2, 3 days in a row (although never for a whole week... never checked out the site that much.) I literally just didn't remember the person's face. Usually after making that mistake 3-4 times I remembered though.

I also think some people like to window shop. It's kind of creepy, but it happens. They like the way you look and just keep looking at you but never say a word. Like a guy who might stare at you from across the room and never says a word and quickly gets up to leave if you walk up to him. Except online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM

589 posts, read 636,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
They like the way you look and just keep looking at you but never say a word.

I'm dealing with that now, but also add to it, giving my female friends dirty looks when they talk to you. It's so immature and a turn off.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:57 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,431,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilkin View Post
Now, from a guy's perspective, detailed emails to everybody he's potentially interested in does add up, I know from experience. I still don't agree with resorting to one-word messages, but I understand why they'd do it better.
(I just chose that response one to quote to get back on this subject).

I have been on and off the OLD sites for the last 4-ish years. I tend to put up profiles and delete them rather quickly; I think the longest I've had one up is 3 months. Now, I'm not saying this holds true for everyone by any means, but in my experience, the one-word messages are the ones that quickly seem to lead to "so do u wanna hookup?" if they lead past the first exchange of "hellos."

Responded to the one-word message the other day. Message 3 from him was "wanna fool around?"

Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,775 times
New to online dating, which would you guys reccomend is the best site? POF, Match, Eharmony, etc. So many to choose from lol.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,812,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
What Timberline wrote. Again, I'm not being snobby nor am I suggesting the pool of matches I am getting are better than something like OKCupid or POF simply because they pay for it. It just means they are more serious about it.
Whoa, whoa, whoa....By what criteria are we judging the 'seriousness' of people on any online dating site?

Because if a date says "I'm not looking for something serious" I just assume it means "I'm just not that into you." I don't think it means "If I were really serious I'd be looking on eHarmony.

I don't think i've met a slew of men on OK Cupid who aren't seriously looking for a relationship. It think I've met a slew of men who were not the guy I was looking for.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,779,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight11 View Post
New to online dating, which would you guys reccomend is the best site? POF, Match, Eharmony, etc. So many to choose from lol.
Craigslist
POF
OKC

Old 05-22-2014, 03:43 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,431,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Craigslist
POF
OKC
Depends on where you're located. I'd avoid the fee based sites. They are notorious for displaying fake and inactive profiles as active users to entice members to keep paying.

In this area, CL has a reputation for primarily being used by married people looking to have lunchtime affairs, POF is a "cesspool" and OKC is somewhat okay for the 30's and 40's crowd, as long as you're willing to be patient and don't actually expect to meet your life partner-it's a dating site but very few find it to be a relationship site.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,197,218 times
Agreed. Avoid the money sucking sites, like e harmony, and focus on the free sites, but either way beware of the fake profiles and scammers. Men and women both do this.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,567,555 times
I had to test the POF waters as an experiment and it's kind of interesting, there's some decent looking women on there. Kind of learning the ropes, some woman who appears to be real wanted a "meet" already but it spooked me and I logged out. I guess it's pretty common to put someone on hold for a bit and think about it?

Old 05-24-2014, 06:35 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,714,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I had to test the POF waters as an experiment and it's kind of interesting, there's some decent looking women on there. Kind of learning the ropes, some woman who appears to be real wanted a "meet" already but it spooked me and I logged out. I guess it's pretty common to put someone on hold for a bit and think about it?
Not really but it happens I guess. Just tell her you're still new at this and you spooked if you still want to see her. The main diff I've found with POF and OKC is that the folks on POF are in much more of a hurry to meet and see if there's anything there--I don't know if it's a lower tolerance for wasting time or a lower tolerance for writing messages back and forth, but I prefer OKC. Got a date on Monday with one I really like so far, based on his emails anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships