Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
There are two big cities each 2-1/2 hours from here and I go to StL quite often, but I'm out of the dating pool due to health reasons right now but I feel great so going kind of crazy here. Waaah! I need a FWB! LOL, JK. Seriously though, I did think about doing the FWB with my dance partner but realized he is in love with me so decided not to.
Sometimes, I think things can't really be as bad as I've come to espouse. Then I read things like that. Thank you for reassuring me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM

543 posts, read 534,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
According to posters here who tried both the free and paid dating sites. There really is no difference in quality of people you meet. Most said they see same people who also are on free sites.

Depends on the person really how they choose the right person. Honestly before I met my husband on POF, I already am feeling hopeless and thinking it's a waste of time. I really was ready to give up my search.

So really, I can relate to frustration online seekers felt. Been there.
I've been on POF and am currently on Match. I haven't met anyone; but going by the search results so far, the women on Match are a definite step above the trailer park skimmings over on POF.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie071tone View Post
Why are there good looking men on PoF...
well, at least when I was casual dating on POF, (I only stayed there for two weeks) I met TONS of good looking guys. I never looked for a serious relationship, but surprisingly, I found several guys who were extremely intellectual.

I have to say free dating site is much better than paid site like match.com. Reasons are simple.

1. Free site attracts more people, dating for the most part is really just numbers game.

2. People on match.com (and this is just my own gross generalization) can be a little bit on the "desperate" side. Perhaps should learn to loosen up and relax more. You are not going to find the love of your life on the first online conversation. I have so many guys on match.com asked me the strange question, "Do you see marriage in your future?" Duh, a little too fast, don't you think?

Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 PM

579 posts, read 762,123 times
My male friends have had a lot of success on POF if you are looking strictly for random sex.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 PM

543 posts, read 534,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, at least when I was casual dating on POF, (I only stayed there for two weeks) I met TONS of good looking guys. I never looked for a serious relationship, but surprisingly, I found several guys who were extremely intellectual.

I have to say free dating site is much better than paid site like match.com. Reasons are simple.

1. Free site attracts more people, dating for the most part is really just numbers game.

2. People on match.com (and this is just my own gross generalization) can be a little bit on the "desperate" side. Perhaps should learn to loosen up and relax more. You are not going to find the love of your life on the first online conversation. I have so many guys on match.com asked me the strange question, "Do you see marriage in your future?" Duh, a little too fast, don't you think?
HAHAHA. Maybe someone needs to tell that to the women out there in the OLD world, so as to knock some of their entitled egos out of the sky.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Yeah, I think In many ways, online dating resembles offline dating — the resulting relationships are no different. It's simply the process itself that's altered. You have met desperate people, people with entitlement issues offline, you will meet those same people online. So I don't get why there is a stigma associated with free dating site.

I read an article online and it says that the most successful online daters have the least expectations. Two people might join the site after ending long term relationships and moving to a new city without many friends. They both used the site to meet more people and go on more dates, while using their limited free time efficiently. It makes a lot of sense.

I have a girlfriend who signed on match.com and she started talking to this guy, and after only 5 conversations and two dates, she expected him to remove his profile online. She's a great girl, but I can see why her approach is a little bit on the "desperate and controlling" side.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
Quote:
Why are there good looking men on PoF...the ones who say they are looking for a relationship? I would think some lady would snatch you up real quick if you're as nice as you say you are.

Also, why do all the men say on their profiles that they want a woman who is intelligent/can hold a conversation? I would think those things would be assumed (and not need to be stated). Are there that many stupid women running around that men need to say they want someone intelligent? Unless they really are looking for a rocket scientist..don't most woman have common sense/intelligence and can hold a conversation?
Being good looking for a guy, isn't the same as it is for a girl. A good looking guy still has to have something to offer besides being nice to look at. It's definitely an advantage, but an average looking guy that's educated with a decent income is more in demand, than a good looking guy that serves tables or drives a forklift for a living.

As for your other question........
Most women can't hold a conversation from the perspective of a man, and the ones that can, aren't looking for the type of men that are on free dating sites like POF. After meeting one bimbo after another, some guys throw it out there that they're looking for someone that's not stupid, but that's a lost cause on POF LOL

Old 04-19-2014, 07:34 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Why are there good looking men on PoF...the ones who say they are looking for a relationship? I would think some lady would snatch you up real quick if you're as nice as you say you are.

Also, why do all the men say on their profiles that they want a woman who is intelligent/can hold a conversation? I would think those things would be assumed (and not need to be stated). Are there that many stupid women running around that men need to say they want someone intelligent? Unless they really are looking for a rocket scientist..don't most woman have common sense/intelligence and can hold a conversation?

Here's a fun catch: How many people (men or women) do you know that describe themselves as "not intelligent"?

It's like the women's profiles that say "no cheaters, players, etc." Nobody is going to look at either of those profiles and think to themselves, "Hmm, I probably shouldn't message them because I'm stupid/a player/etc."

Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Here's a fun catch: How many people (men or women) do you know that describe themselves as "not intelligent"?

It's like the women's profiles that say "no cheaters, players, etc." Nobody is going to look at either of those profiles and think to themselves, "Hmm, I probably shouldn't message them because I'm stupid/a player/etc."
hahahaha

Old 04-20-2014, 03:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Being good looking for a guy, isn't the same as it is for a girl. A good looking guy still has to have something to offer besides being nice to look at. It's definitely an advantage, but an average looking guy that's educated with a decent income is more in demand, than a good looking guy that serves tables or drives a forklift for a living.

As for your other question........
Most women can't hold a conversation from the perspective of a man, and the ones that can, aren't looking for the type of men that are on free dating sites like POF. After meeting one bimbo after another, some guys throw it out there that they're looking for someone that's not stupid, but that's a lost cause on POF LOL

Seems like income is really important for a lot of women. Some women doth protest in denial too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships