Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What, at a minimum, does "date" mean?
Have casual sex with 3 5.00%
Have ongoing sex with 4 6.67%
Enter into a potentially permanent relationship with 12 20.00%
Go out with as a couple, without sex implied 37 61.67%
Just hang out with, maybe sometimes as a twosome 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

When you are asked (such as in this forum, or on OKCupid) "Would you date someone who . . . ?", what are you thinking of when you answer?

I've "dated" lots of women whom I never had sex with, never had any prospects of sex with, never had any inclination toward sex with.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-20-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 04:20 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
I picked: "Enter into a potentially permanent relationship with"

BUT...if it's "I'm going on a date with this new girl, hope it goes good", then I choose "Go out with as a couple, without sex implied."

Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,629,348 times
To me "dating" is a catchall term meaning trying to get to know someone else in a romantic sense.

To some people it's a euphuism for doing the bone dance.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
I grew up in an era when "dating" meant Boy asked Girl if she'd like to go to the movies/go to the school dance/go for a Coke/etc. There was no indication that anything more than possible hand-holding, or an arm around, or maybe a goodnight kiss on the front porch. But it seldom led to a life-long relationship, it was just a way of getting to know what the opposite sex was like so when the time came, your choice might be better informed. Kind of like research.

Boy was obligated to pay for Girl's admission to the movies or the dance, or to treat her to the Coke. Boy hoped that his cash outlay might rate a little smooch, but Girl was in no way obligated.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:21 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
My definition has always been going out/hanging out/spending time with the person that you are romantically interested in, except there is no commitment. No sex.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I've "dated" lots of women whom I never had sex with, never had any prospects of sex with, never had any inclination toward sex with.

Well, that makes you friends. You don't date friends.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-20-2014, 05:23 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Man ask woman out.Has plans.Man picks up woman in a car.They go to planned desination.They do small talk get to know each other.Hang out again if it goes well. Maybe kiss later if mutual attraction.Date more if things are going well.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
This is a great thread! I love seeing the wide variety of answers!

In the specific context the op asked about, I would be thinking. 'Date seriously, explore the possibility if marriage'.

IRL, I have heard it used in the context of no relationship, and probably no sex: 'Oh, we are not a couple - we're just dating'. It only applies to the first few weeks after meeting someone.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:46 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Man ask woman out.Has plans.Man picks up woman in a car.They go to planned desination.They do small talk get to know each other.Hang out again if it goes well. Maybe kiss later if mutual attraction.Date more if things are going well.
Pretty much.

Sometimes the two people have sex, sometimese they don't.
Two people can say they dated, regardless of whethor or not they were intimate sexually.

However, IMO&IME, whenever someone speaks of someone "they dated", it typically means they hooked up. For most people I know, it is possible to date without hooking up, but typically, when that happens, the two people don't spend that much time together, and one most likely isn't talking about someone they went on one or two dates with in which they didn't spend the time to get to know them.... unless the other person did something so memerable that the story is worth telling, "One time I dated someone that....." with some weird/crazy story to finish the sentence.

But really, it is ideal to not worry about how someone defines the term date. Some people date hundreds of people throughout their life, and if I assume that such a person slept with every person they dated, then

Old 04-20-2014, 05:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
This is a great thread! I love seeing the wide variety of answers!

In the specific context the op asked about, I would be thinking. 'Date seriously, explore the possibility if marriage'.

IRL, I have heard it used in the context of no relationship, and probably no sex: 'Oh, we are not a couple - we're just dating'. It only applies to the first few weeks after meeting someone.
However, I have known people that use the term dating as a veil to hide the relationship status. That way, they can bring anyone around they are dating to their friends/family, and without the announcement of boyfriend/girlfriend, no one knows how serious dating is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships