Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'd go for it.

Get her number, talk to her and meet in a public place. Why live in fear? How are you ever going to get a quality girl if you don't even think you can attract one?

Sorry, you have already flunked this thread. You have no standing to comment.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Last evening, out of the blue, I got a message from a woman on a mainstream OLD site; she said she wants to meet me. She lives a couple hours from me and wants to host. Whoa, that's a first. I've received a few dozen or so unsolicited messages, and have had abut as many conversations, but this was the first message expressing a desire to meet me.

So the next step of course is to read her profile. Has diverse interests and experience including several foreign languages, STEM, and more. Only one pic, and she is knockout gorgeous in just the precise way for which I had always hoped. Whoa.

I'm thinking this could be a scam, but I can't think of anything I have that she woulld want in a scam - my kidneys? Maybe she liked my profile and wasn't horrified by my picture.

But even if this is entirely legit, I can not imagine how this could possibly ever go anywhere. Perhaps with a career comparable to hers, but not at all with a crummy dead-end job.

What do you all make of this?
i know a (female) anesthesiologist -- who in her case is very wealthy, and makes much more than a typical doctor -- who married a local bartender / weed dealer with a high school degree.

reason being, i think, because the guy in question is a lot of fun, he is cool, and other cool people like him. they party really hard for people their age.

my point is that you shouldn't make assumptions about this.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:37 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Meh. I dunno. I'm white collar and date mostly blue-collar guys. Though they generally have some sort of skilled trade and a career path. Here's my thing about this chick - she's a few hours away, yet she wants YOU to come to her. Sketchy. And inconsiderate. You don't have a car - why didn't she propose meeting halfway between you or swinging by your town?

She asks to meet on the first email. VERY sketchy. I dunno, call me crazy, but (as a woman with some shreds of self-preservation) I don't think that's something a woman would do. You want to get a feel for a guy first - profiles lie, but a series of emails can be VERY revealing. I dunno - guys on C-D, have you ever had a woman ask to meet in the initial email?

At best, she's an inconsiderate weirdo who thinks you can be summoned at will. At worst, you'll wake up in a bathtub full of ice and missing your right kidney.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you particularly hot? Do you have something really interesting in your profile?

I would say exchange a few emails first. Make her work a little harder and find out more about her.

And she may not show up in your thread of profile visitors because she blocked that function (I think most sites let you do that).

But still, I do suspect a scam. Admittedly, that may be just because it's not how I would operate. It just sounds off though.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
First, I don't do online dating anymore.

I am seeing someone in a LDR for the last 8 months. We met when I was unemployed and she didn't care about that. Those are the type of women I'd prefer to meet as I do not want to be bought, nor do I want to buy anyone. I take care of my own business and that's how it should be.
To say I strongly disagree with the thread title would be an understatement.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Meh. I dunno. I'm white collar and date mostly blue-collar guys. Though they generally have some sort of skilled trade and a career path. Here's my thing about this chick - she's a few hours away, yet she wants YOU to come to her. Sketchy. And inconsiderate. You don't have a car - why didn't she propose meeting halfway between you or swinging by your town?

She asks to meet on the first email. VERY sketchy. I dunno, call me crazy, but (as a woman with some shreds of self-preservation) I don't think that's something a woman would do. You want to get a feel for a guy first - profiles lie, but a series of emails can be VERY revealing. I dunno - guys on C-D, have you ever had a woman ask to meet in the initial email?

At best, she's an inconsiderate weirdo who thinks you can be summoned at will. At worst, you'll wake up in a bathtub full of ice and missing your right kidney.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you particularly hot? Do you have something really interesting in your profile?

I would say exchange a few emails first. Make her work a little harder and find out more about her.

And she may not show up in your thread of profile visitors because she blocked that function (I think most sites let you do that).

But still, I do suspect a scam. Admittedly, that may be just because it's not how I would operate. It just sounds off though.

No i don't think I'm hot, but apparently some like my profile; about 10% of the women (late 40s to late 50s) who viewed my profile have initiated contact. If I were in, say, my 30s, I don't think I'd get one-tenth as many messages.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Sorry, you have already flunked this thread. You have no standing to comment.
No, it was the thread that failed.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
No, it was the thread that failed.
This. Either go out with her or don't go out with her-- no skin off our nards either way. If you choose not to, however, don't create threads complaining about how she probably wouldn't like you anyway because of your job. Who cares? If that's true, fine one who will or find a new job. Complaining about it on the internet accomplishes nothing for you.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Last evening, out of the blue, I got a message from a woman on a mainstream OLD site; she said she wants to meet me. She lives a couple hours from me and wants to host. Whoa, that's a first. I've received a few dozen or so unsolicited messages, and have had abut as many conversations, but this was the first message expressing a desire to meet me.

So the next step of course is to read her profile. Has diverse interests and experience including several foreign languages, STEM, and more. Only one pic, and she is knockout gorgeous in just the precise way for which I had always hoped. Whoa.

I'm thinking this could be a scam, but I can't think of anything I have that she woulld want in a scam - my kidneys? Maybe she liked my profile and wasn't horrified by my picture.

But even if this is entirely legit, I can not imagine how this could possibly ever go anywhere. Perhaps with a career comparable to hers, but not at all with a crummy dead-end job.

What do you all make of this?
If I was still doing online dating I would never fall for this.

Pass in a big way.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Easy way to elimate her as a possibility. Have her send you some more pictures of herself. It could be she had just one because she stole it from the internet. But you're right, do a lot of checking and if you do, meet in a public place and with a friend with you.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
The whole thing seems fishy to me too... although most scammers don't want to meet right away. They want to chat forever, give you some sob story, and tick you into wiring them money. But I would still be wary. You could always meet her on neutral ground (but don't go home with her and always watch your drink or have a friend there like others mentioned).

For what it's worth, I am white collar myself and tend to prefer blue collar men. I grew up in a blue collar, working class family, most of my friends are blue collar (or are like me, white collar and came from working class families) and it's just where I feel comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships