Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 PM

214 posts, read 382,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilkin View Post
Sounds like he was serious about the idea of marriage, saw your negative (from his point of view) reaction, and only said he was kidding because of that. He may be wondering now if he's wasting time in a relationship which may not have a long-term future, and it will definitely be a while before he'll bring up the topic again. If you're not ready to marry him now, that's fine, but it would probably make him feel relieved to hear it's a topic you could see revisiting in the future.
I would like to be married to him someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missnoname View Post
So tell him, 'I know you were just joking and all, but I kind of think I would like to be married to you someday.'

Old 04-23-2014, 06:56 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missnoname View Post
He'll ask you again in due time. Meanwhile, those conversations about kids-someday, etc. will provide the buildup. Why not take a walk through a nice residential neighborhood, and fantasize about what kind of house you two would like someday? Take turns pointing out your favorite features of one house or another. I love looking at architecture!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 PM

532 posts, read 550,395 times
A guy knows after a few weeks to a month usually. By six if he hasn't at least told you how he feels, you're a hobby.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In fact, I'll go you one further. If you've been dating someone for six months and you can't decide whether you want a deeper, fuller relationship, then you need to just go ahead and bail. It's better that way.
Absolutely....6 months and you aren't sure if she is your girlfriend? Get out....she ain't!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In fact, I'll go you one further. If you've been dating someone for six months and you can't decide whether you want a deeper, fuller relationship, then you need to just go ahead and bail. It's better that way.
Not sure what you are saying here. One cannot be content to just be in a relationship with someone, as is, without getting married? Me and my guy are in as "deep and full" as we can be, but we have absolutely no desire to marry. You think we should bail?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Of course he meant it, why else would he say it? Hopefully your reaction didn't scare him off from asking again some day. It sounds more like you were spooked at the idea of marriage and maybe not as committed to the relationship as he appears to be.
I don't blame her. He doesn't bring up the topic of marriage in the form of a discussion, doesn't ask, doesn't allude to planning for it in the future. Rather, he blurts out "let's get married", completely out of the blue. It's not her reaction that's inappropriate, it's him blindsiding her with it.

She's not spooked about marriage she's startled that the way he brought it up came out of nowhere, and was conveyed in the form of an impulsive decision he'd made on his own without even consulting her. If you haven't been talking about the future and are only at 6 months of dating, I'd be more surprised that he's surprised by her reaction.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
I wanna marry someone now and haven't even gone on an official date yet.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:13 AM

211 posts, read 266,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I wanna marry someone now and haven't even gone on an official date yet.
Unless this is a girl you've been good friends with for at least a few years, this is just absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Property View Post
A guy knows after a few weeks to a month usually.
I don't think so, that short a time and I don't even know her middle name, let alone if I want to marry her. 6 months isn't that long unless you were already good friends. I would say minimum 1 year, longer if you're younger and/or lack relationship experience.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
Unless this is a girl you've been good friends with for at least a few years, this is just absurd.

I don't think so, that short a time and I don't even know her middle name, let alone if I want to marry her. 6 months isn't that long unless you were already good friends. I would say minimum 1 year, longer if you're younger and/or lack relationship experience.
I didn't mean "ask" them to marry you in a month. I meant "knowing" she "could" be someone you would/will marry. Of course the guys who date for "tail" and "fun" won't ever feel this way. They're still confused after stringing some gal along ten years. Are you my girlfriend?? They aren't even sure.

Everybody else is not usually with the same one 1-6 months if she is not your type or she has struck out all possibilities of being in a long term relationship with. I'd rather be single than have to sleep out in the garage and hide in the basement. I can tell if I want to go past a "first date" or not on the first night as well. If not, there won't be a second date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships