Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I'm curious, why the scare quotes around "study"?

The article was written by a faculty member at a well-known university with a Ph.D., not some random self-proclaimed relationship expert blogger. There are a lot of dubious things that get posted on this forum, but this isn't one of them.
*sigh* apparently you didn't get the sarcasm, did you? How many threads are out there about "studies"? So what that the person has a Ph.D? Most professors have them. The point is that this thread is no different than the umpteen threads that have been created and closed.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
People used to read Playboy?
I read it for years. Hacky punchlines aside, it really does (or did, anyway; I haven't seen it lately) have good articles. There hasn't been much reason to get it for the pictorials in the past couple of decades, since you can see anything you want online.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
People still read Playboy?
For the articles? If so that would be a first.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
The bottom line is that any man who maintains or defends a double standard is a self-loathing, misogynistic ahole.
so women are excluded from your scorn? or were their double-standards just not worth mentioning?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM

73 posts, read 87,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And are you okay with a woman thinking that you're not marriage material for the same reason?

Why wouldn't I be? People are free to form their own opinions.

But I'll let you in on something that makes this whole "double standard" faux outrage moot: The women who've inquired about a "number" are not put off by a high count. Some even like it.

Look up the term "preselection." It basically states that women, being the highly competitive and social creatures that they are, see a high "count" as a sign of a man's prowess...i.e. "if a lot of other women have wanted him, there must be something good there."

Old 04-23-2014, 03:44 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
*sigh* apparently you didn't get the sarcasm, did you? How many threads are out there about "studies"?
That was my point, actually. Scare quotes usually mean a person is being sarcastic, i.e. you don't consider this article to be legit. I was asking if that is what you were attempting to communicate, and if so why you believe that.

Quote:
So what that the person has a Ph.D? Most professors have them.
Exactly-- and I'd far rather read articles by professors and/or Ph.D.'s who are experts in the field they are writing about than the random clickbait garbage blog posts which make up the overwhelming majority of what gets posted here and on the internet in general.

Quote:
The point is that this thread is no different than the umpteen threads that have been created and closed.
And my point is that it IS different than most of those, and refreshingly so. I generally expect anyone who is a fan of Jon Stewart to have a little more intellectual curiosity and interest in being well-informed than you are exhibiting here.

Thanks again for the article, Nila. Ignore the haters.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Used to be that getting fiction published in Playboy was a major feat.

To the question at hand, which was??? Oh, yeah.

**** shaming probably has a minor impact on the number of women who take part in activities that might get one labeled a ****. Those same activities have a disproportionate impact on the chances a woman will get a disease (higher male to female transmission rates) will be harmed physically, will get pregnant, or will not enjoy the sex (compared to a more substantial relationship). Still, the concern about one's reputation likely has some impact.

To the extent that **** shaming happens and matters to women, it shrinks the pool of women interested in slutty (used descriptively, not judgementally) things. That's bad. Stop it.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:01 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
That was my point, actually. Scare quotes usually mean a person is being sarcastic, i.e. you don't consider this article to be legit. I was asking if that is what you were attempting to communicate, and if so why you believe that.

Exactly-- and I'd far rather read articles by professors and/or Ph.D.'s who are experts in the field they are writing about than the random clickbait garbage blog posts which make up the overwhelming majority of what gets posted here and on the internet in general.

And my point is that it IS different than most of those, and refreshingly so. I generally expect anyone who is a fan of Jon Stewart to have a little more intellectual curiosity and interest in being well-informed than you are exhibiting here.

Thanks again for the article, Nila. Ignore the haters.

Whatever. If you need an article or study by someone with a Ph. D about this topic, a topic that always ends up in bashing, then knock yourself out. I never made any negative reference to you or the OP. The comment was in general about the TOPIC but apparently you don't seem to get that. I don't need an article to inform me about s*ut shaming. If you do, that's pretty sad.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyWarhol View Post
I've been with a fair amount of women, not sure exactly, but somewhere between 75-100. Some were LTR's, some STR's, some flings, some ONS.

I have no problem with promiscuous women as people, but I'd never consider an LTR or marriage with one.

Having that much "experience" (ahem) with a large variety of women, the promiscuous ones are NOT the ones a guy wants to settle down with.
Underlined is the part I can't relate to. I don't want an LTR or marriage at all, but if I did, I don't expect I'd have a problem with a promiscuous woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And are you okay with a woman thinking that you're not marriage material for the same reason?
Hopefully, he is. I would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
But-but-but he's a stud!

Around 100 people? With those figures, an STD or a few illegitimate kids hanging around the place are inevitable.
Posts/assumptions like this are the female version of s**t shaming towards men.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:16 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Here is the thing about these double standards. They exist for a reason, and should be embraced by men as well as women. They exist as a testament to differences between men and women. Differences in the way we think, communicate, love, work and exist together. Differences in needs, wants and a long list of other things that separates men and women. Feminist brainwashing in recent decades has succeeded I nhaving you believe nonsense of how men and women are the same and equal. We never have been and never will be. Thanks to this brainwashing, gender tensions today are at all time high and many young men and women struggle with dating.

Men are too feminine and women are masculine, which creates many incompatibilities. It creates sexually neutral relationships which are doomed from the very get go. We are not the same, and we are not even equal. Get that out of your head, and maybe you'll start seeing the reality. WE have different standards and are judged by different rules. This is the way it is and it is never, ever going to change, because its based at the very core of who we are. So tune out the feminist drones that continue spreading this destructive nonsense. Ladies, close up your legs and be selective about the men you sleep with. if you don't, you WILL be judged for it and rightfully so. Don't end up like your single aunt who now lives with 7 cats and is angry and bitter at the world. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships