Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I am a 34 year old science professor and I have been teaching at my current institution for five years. When I started I was married, I got divorced and was single for a few years, and now I am 18 months into a very serious relationship. I have had many attractive female students over the years and several of them have even attempted to flirt with me. Do I notice? Yes. Does it make me uncomfortable? Sometimes. Do I ever seriously consider a relationship with a student? Never. Would I ever have inappororiate physical contact with a student or give a student special treatment? Never.

I would imagine my feelings represent the overwhelming majority opinion of young faculty members in this situation.
I shall quote these wise words. They're exactly what my psych adviser told me when I was an undergrad and he was teaching at a women's college. He and I got to be pretty good friends over the years (I was a nontraditional student by this point and was 33 years old when I graduated, he was in his 50s).

This man isn't interested in the OP for anything but attractive scenery and hopefully the quality of her scholastic abilities.

I have no clue what on earth any of that has to do with math, but pretty much everyone who attends college takes at least 1 calculus class and is required to pass it. I suck at math and I took and passed Calculus 1, so it doesn't take a mathematical genius to pass Calc 1. I have a Master's in English, but I'm not going to harass people on a message board and ask them to conjugate irregular verbs, for crying out loud.

Thread closed.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:04 AM

101 posts, read 212,895 times
Lightbulb Hot single professor?

Firstly I have no idea why I am so attracted to professors, but I have learnt that swaying someone off their vows is a restricted airspace for me even with clearance so to say. But the flight school regulations do not forbid student-professor relationships last time I checked, but strongly discouraged it.

Recently, being a bachelorette, I have met some students from both genders that may be a good prospect for having a relationship with, but what caught my interest the most was my aviation professor. He is tall, blond and very cute. He is also an excellent professor in his mid-twenties. Since he is a flight instructor, I have heard from his students that he is definately single and from his Facebook page, there were no photos with him and any women. Also, he does not possess a wedding band

I have been suspicious since the first class that he may reciprocate my feelings. Some signs that have caught my attention was that:
1. He was walking around the students, helping them out one by one. It wasn't until he got to me that he started stuttering and fumbling over his words. However with the other students his speech was confident and fluent
2. After class when I talked to my friend about employing the grumpiest flight instructor that would turn out the best, the professor cut into the conversation to join us.
3. I sit across from my professor and when he was explaining the lecture slides, heenoticed I was concentrating intently on him and his face started to go red.
4. Yesterday in class, he was staring at me when he thought I wasn't noticing, such as when I put my head down the desk to do work. He immediately averted his gaze when I caught him staring. When he was explaining crosswind components on the white board, he continually looked in my direction. Later, he was staring at me when the class was at work, but when I caught him staring he did not look away this time. And when I looked up again he was still staring.
5. After making a joke in class, he looks to see if I was laughing as well.
6. When students handed in their assignments, his tone was confident and casual. But when he got to me, he thanked me in a significantly softer and quieter tone.
7. His body was facing me the entire time I was in that class in a wide venue.

The class has noticed his attractiveness and the girls are all over him, as far as asking him for coffee or wearing provocative clothing as well as flirting in which he politely refused all. I do none of the above but thank him for his time teaching us and making conversations about crash accidents od flying. But what do you think?

Old 08-28-2014, 03:09 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Is this the same instructor from your previous threads or a different one?

Old 08-28-2014, 03:31 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
He wants to sleep with you...at least.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:46 AM

It's a different professor (T_T) As stated that was the CALCULUS professor.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 AM

Yeah. Not this one though. This guy is single.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
You are over the girl already?

No doubt he wants to have sex with you and he might be married or in a long term relationship.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:23 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Is this a legitimate school you are attending or is it a brothel?

There's a new set of people in provocative clothing every week.

I'm not anti-socialization, but wouldn't your educational dollars go farther if you went to your classes to, you know, LEARN how to fly?

Are there no college bars where you can meet romantic partners who are NOT your instructors?

Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Leave him alone. He's doing his job and you are making it difficult for him.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:33 AM

Well thing is the girl has a boyfriend and I have decided not to sway them off their relationship. I know you are trying to discourage a potential risk of getting both my professor and I expelled, but I want the truth and opinions, and NOT assumptions he is married, etc. His FB profile states he is single and has no ring. I said many times and emphasized this but why are you whiteknighting in forcing the allusion that he is married when he is not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships