Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 02:49 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Or they don't want to feel like they are the ones doing all the work or showing all the interest. Mikala said it best, it really does work both ways.
No where did I indicate otherwise.

Of course a woman can "help" she can give you the "green" light type signals to help a brother out.

Assuming of course she's interested in him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 02:51 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

At the end of the day you have to differentiate yourself from the next guy. It's the same in all aspects of life, you want something you have to go out and compete same goes for finding jobs and getting promotions at work, you have to be just a little bit better than the next guy.
Another problem with the theory that men have to compete for women is that implies that nearly every women has tons of guys chasing after them no matter what the woman in question looks like. It's something that many of the women here would disagree with so which is it.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:53 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Another problem with the theory that men have to compete for women is that implies that nearly every women has tons of guys chasing after them no matter what the woman in question looks like. It's something that many of the women here would disagree with so which is it.
You're splitting hairs here.

I'm starting to see CPG's point.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:

Everyone competes for everything. When my husband asked me out, I assumed he was dating other women (he was), and I wanted to be the one he chose. Not that I changed anything about myself, but I wanted to be the best me and wanted him to like me better than the rest.

When we interview for a job we are competing with other applicants. When I was in school I was competitive to have good grades and be towards the top of the class.

It's work to be noticed.... but that's the only you do get noticed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Everyone competes for everything. When my husband asked me out, I assumed he was dating other women (he was), and I wanted to be the one he chose. Not that I changed anything about myself, but I wanted to be the best me and wanted him to like me better than the rest.
Do you really consider that a competition? What if he didn't pick you because you guys didn't click? Would you have become someone else or done something you usually would not have done just to win the competition?

And honestly, I don't believe that everything in life is a competition. Sure some things are, the job market is, but not everything in life is a competition.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:25 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Do you really consider that a competition? What if he didn't pick you because you guys didn't click? Would you have become someone else or done something you usually would not have done just to win the competition?

And honestly, I don't believe that everything in life is a competition. Sure some things are, the job market is, but not everything in life is a competition.
Well, if you say that men have to compete for women.... I'm just demonstrating it IS a two way street, but you seem intent in your beliefs, so I won't bother you with any other thoughts.

Of course he could have not picked me because we didn't click, or I could have not chosen him because we didn't click.... see how that works?

Of course I wouldn't have become someone else, you know.... like I actually said that in the post.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Well, if you say that men have to compete for women.... I'm just demonstrating it IS a two way street, but you seem intent in your beliefs, so I won't bother you with any other thoughts.

Of course he could have not picked me because we didn't click, or I could have not chosen him because we didn't click.... see how that works?

Of course I wouldn't have become someone else, you know.... like I actually said that in the post.
Actually I agree with you. I said it in an earlier post to Chow. It's a to way street.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Hahah they don't invite you to their place.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:12 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think that's one of the things all these young guys on here bitching about women and they feel like shouldn't have to put in work or effort and if all things are equal, with woman having their own money and careers and blah blah, the thing is is that men still have to do most of the chasing.

They don't like when I say this because it contradicts everything they've learned...

At the end of the day you have to differentiate yourself from the next guy. It's the same in all aspects of life, you want something you have to go out and compete same goes for finding jobs and getting promotions at work, you have to be just a little bit better than the next guy.

We live in a compete free society where everyone gets a trophy.

The real world doesn't work like that.
Quote:
This whole post bears repeating, though the advice will probably go unheeded. /shrug

Prepare for a very big shrug because I saw no advice what so ever just nothing but a platitude appealing to this forum and the "status quo".

Yes Chow your constant bitching about young people and piped response about "everyone got trophies like that means much.

The only thing these guys need to know is that they don't need to chase anything. If they feel a girl isn't feeling it they can drop it just the same as the ladies can it is not rocket science. The job market analogy doesn't hold from this very forum despite some people being adamant about their ways dating seems pretty flexible that its a pretty big pull to call it a competition unless your trying edgy for effect.

Your description of the real world is almost as delusion as this suppose group of guys your bashing.

But please do take this response as "striking one of my nerves","pulling hair","not getting it" or whatever way to make yourself feel good rattling the the chains of people on the internet.

Whatever amount of advice that is in their is too buried in vitriol masquerading as "tough love" for me to take seriously no matter how much anyone wants to give you a pat on the back about it.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:15 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,812 times
On topic if he is defensive over a usually simple yes or no question then your warning blinkers are completely warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships