Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 04:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I do think there are more women who don't get approached then are accounted for. They don't post online.

It doesn't help that there's many female posters here who regale stories of being approached by 100s of men in their heyday and having their choice of dates from all types of high powered professionals.

As usual, the truth is somewhere in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I'm with you, I haven't seen any posts where a woman claims that she is or was being approached frequently "in her hey day."

I'm pretty sure I recall at least one post where a woman complained about the nature of the approach. (Disrespectful, lack of regard for boundaries, etc.) My memory is very vague about this though.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about me. He hates me and has me on ignore. I did used to get hit on all the time. I don't refer it to my "hey day" or anything. I was living in the city and working in a position where I interacted with a lot of people. But I don't really know what that has to do with anything… I mean - I'm not sure why that matters or what that has to do with this thread at all… Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I'm with you, I haven't seen any posts where a woman claims that she is or was being approached frequently "in her hey day."

I'm pretty sure I recall at least one post where a woman complained about the nature of the approach. (Disrespectful, lack of regard for boundaries, etc.) My memory is very vague about this though.
You don't recall any posts about female posters saying they used to get approached frequently when/as they were single?

Three or more of them have already posted on this very thread.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 PM

377 posts, read 620,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, you do. You see that here on C-D, too.
If it does happen, it doesn't happen anywhere near the frequency men are told this. I could also imagine most of this would be coming from men who tend to lose out in the dating game either way. From what I've observed, most women sympathize with a woman who has a hard time finding a man who passes her checklist of requirements and go out of their way to encourage them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wrong again. But somehow, I doubt you care. Oh well. :/
Please enlighten me.

Last edited by Astute; 04-27-2014 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If it's the person I'm thinking of, last I heard was that she's now in a happy relationship so she no longer even has the problem. lol
She thought she was happy in a relationship, but the guy dumped her. So last I heard, she's planning to go back to school, I think.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
I don't think so. The vast majority of women will always have some men chasing after them, regardless of their relative attractiveness. Even the user she mentioned has said she has strict preferences that she refuses to waver on. That's fine, but it further demonstrates the fact.

You never hear people telling women to lower their standards when she can't find her perfect man with the perfect looks, career, education, etc.? No, instead she receives a pity party and comforted by being told she just needs to wait a little longer and he's just "around the corner". While a man is easily put in his place and repeatedly told to lower his standards if he complains about not finding the perfect woman.

The equivalence in the issue is that certain women may have trouble attracting the men they want (attractive men), while certain men will have an insurmountable time attracting any woman. However, such women are always free to lower their standards as there will always be men pursuing them. The same is not true for the latter group.
I actually was not completely disagreeing with this.

What I was saying is that some women get approached much less.

I do think some women get approached none. But it's rarer. I think the major beef is that certain guys just do not get attention from any women. So, they have to stick their neck out 100% of the time.

But you know, whatever. It's just how the game is.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
You don't recall any posts about female posters saying they used to get approached frequently when/as they were single?

Three or more of them have already posted on this very thread.
The more you know...

Old 04-27-2014, 05:12 PM

Now just to be fair.

On the females getting the shaft side, here is what I have seen.

I have seen women who might be average or below dating guys who aren't that into them. And those guys hit on their hotter female friends while they are going out with them.

I have seen that a SH*TLOAD. I've seen it a lot. Guys are really sleazy.

But those women usually have a chance to go out with guys who wouldn't do that to them and pass. See it all the time.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:29 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
I have noticed that just like in real life, on this forum, people feel and see pretty much how and what they want to about relationships.

People that have their own life experience and friends that live a similar lifestyle will be convinced that their behavior is the norm.

There really isn't a norm. But most people will sell their life experience as normal or proper or how they think things should be.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:33 PM

377 posts, read 620,060 times
Quote:
I actually was not completely disagreeing with this.

What I was saying is that some women get approached much less.

I do think some women get approached none. But it's rarer. I think the major beef is that certain guys just do not get attention from any women. So, they have to stick their neck out 100% of the time.
I don't think there's anything we disagree on. It was more of a misinterpretation on my part.

Quote:
But you know, whatever. It's just how the game is.
Yep.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:55 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If you were a woman, the misogynists would stand out more to you.
I think there's a tendency for women here to overuse the word "misogynist." Just because a guy doesn't think women are "sugar and spice and everything nice", doesn't mean he hates women. Lots of us get our views about the dating world from objective observations we've made, and we don't see any point of sugarcoating these realities.

I do appreciate the women in this forum who try to get us men to have more optimistic views of the dating world, but those of us who are analytical realists just don't buy into the tripe.

Last edited by const_iterator; 04-27-2014 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships