Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,193,932 times

Advertisements

If you think entitlement is a problem among socially awkward nerds (who women don't give the time of day to anyways) then it should be considered an EPIDEMIC among attractive young women whose entitlement actually affects the opposite sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 AM

957 posts, read 1,060,282 times
I work with some engineers that are total morons. One of them is probably 260 lbs and completely out of shape. He's kind of a mental midget when it comes to anything other than his job.

He makes fun of overweight women and thinks he deserves to date attractive women. He's an a-hole that thinks he's a nice guy who gets put in the friend zone.

He seen me out with a woman who was a little thick but good looking. She had the rugby player build.. More muscular and tall than fat.. I think she's hot!

He made fun of me for dating an "amazon" woman. What the ****? You're an sloppy entitled nerd, and you're calling me out? I just avoid him for the most part. Hopefully he grows up.. He's pretty young still.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What I've heard a lot from my geeky female friends is that there's a subset of geeky dudes, who, rather than thinking it's cool that a woman is into the stuff that they're into, get defensive and make the women prove that she really likes comic books or video games or science fiction, grilling her with questions and calling her names. So instead of making a connection, they completely put women off.
This is a good point, and I can definitely vouch that it happens a LOT.

I could go into a long, boring diatribe about why I suspect this is the case, but the point worth noting is: that kind of behavior is dumb, and I have no sympathy for anybody who c**kblocks themselves in such a way.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 AM

257 posts, read 713,379 times
As far as guys going overboard checking if girls are really into whatever geeky subjects they claim, I generally separate them into three types.

The first type are the ones who will actually badger and push the girls away, because they like feeling superior in this area, and basically act like it's the geek equivalent of an all-boys club.

The second type do it because being a little geeky is now generally seen as more mainstream and cool nowadays, which is fine, but they feel irritated and deceived when women claim to be significantly more geeky than they actually are, so they have less in common than expected. For example, I've seen quite a few ads from women on dating sites promoting themselves as huge geeks, when they actually mean something like they might play a half-hour of Mario Kart every month or so.

The third group are the ones who are so excited about a woman really sharing their relatively niche interests that they may inadvertently come across as overwhelming.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Written by a geeky guy.

(Warning, the title of this blog post contains an ancient anglo-saxon word that every 6 year old knows, but that might be NSFW, depending on where you work.)
I am a geeky guy. I was bullied all my life and I won't even lie, it made me dislike and distrust people as a whole. To this day, I hate the people who bullied me.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Well, obviously it varies for different guys. But I notice a lot of men writing, recently, about how the adults in their lives encouraged the idea of entitlement to women, as a future reward. There's that famous Cracked article, for example, that gets posted here every so often
I grew up believing every woman was out of my league. I have never been entitled to a relationship because I was never taught how to start one with a woman.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:18 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:

There's a big conflict between geek values of excelling at stuff, and the traditional role that says women should not be too smart or best guys at... well, anything, if they want to get laid.

I've NEVER heard this, and disagree with it most strongly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-30-2014, 03:13 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilkin View Post
As far as guys going overboard checking if girls are really into whatever geeky subjects they claim, I generally separate them into three types.

The first type are the ones who will actually badger and push the girls away, because they like feeling superior in this area, and basically act like it's the geek equivalent of an all-boys club.

The second type do it because being a little geeky is now generally seen as more mainstream and cool nowadays, which is fine, but they feel irritated and deceived when women claim to be significantly more geeky than they actually are, so they have less in common than expected. For example, I've seen quite a few ads from women on dating sites promoting themselves as huge geeks, when they actually mean something like they might play a half-hour of Mario Kart every month or so.

The third group are the ones who are so excited about a woman really sharing their relatively niche interests that they may inadvertently come across as overwhelming.
Excellent post. Regarding the "second type": I read a study recently that indicated that "women play video games more than men". I know that statistics can be twisted to prove a variety of points, but there is NO possibility that one was true, so I looked into it.

It turns out that they included Facebook games like Candy Crush, Angry Birds, etc., and that the body running the survey wasn't factoring in console games (why they didn't do this baffles me, perhaps they were intending to do a study only on computer games?)

Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Excellent post. Regarding the "second type": I read a study recently that indicated that "women play video games more than men". I know that statistics can be twisted to prove a variety of points, but there is NO possibility that one was true, so I looked into it.

It turns out that they included Facebook games like Candy Crush, Angry Birds, etc., and that the body running the survey wasn't factoring in console games (why they didn't do this baffles me, perhaps they were intending to do a study only on computer games?)
In response to the second point, many PC gamers don't really consider either console or smartphone games real games, and thus people who play them real "gamers." While I find the elitism a little irritating, there is a point there that swiping away at Angry Birds for 15 minutes is not the same as sitting down to an hour of Starcraft 2 or League of Legends and seriously competing against other players. Truth is that most busy adults simply don't have time to do the latter, though that is changing as Esports comes into its own as a serious arena.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:46 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've NEVER heard this, and disagree with it most strongly.

Well of course anyone with any sense disagrees with it most strongly .

But I am surprised to hear you have never heard of the idea, especially on this forum where so many guys say they would never marry a girl who makes more money than they do, etc.

For an idea of how prevalent it is in our culture, take a look at the studies that show how the very same girls do so much better in math, if they are moved to all-girl classes. Suddenly they don't have to pretend to be dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships