Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 15,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Just based on this paragraph above (especially the bolded part), it makes me wonder about the validity of this thread.
Why? It's just an observation as to why she is struggling financially. She is neurotic and a little insecure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:33 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StutteringJohn View Post
I have--believe me! I am also cheap -- I didn't need student loans when I went to college and (grad school -- twice). I just lived at home, worked a part time job and did without. I still do without.

It's tough to date someone for 15 months and not be attached though. It's tough to watch someone you care for struggle.

I also don't like being approached as a cosigner. I think finances should be a boundary unless you are married. We have talked about getting engaged, but since it's not a done deal, I don't want to get stuck with any ties here.

Thanks everybody for echoing what I have already been saying to myself in my head.
This thread just gets worse! Dude, wake up! This isn't someone you should remotely be considering getting engaged with. My guess is that she's using you as a life raft (consciously or unconsciously--it doesn't matter). Heed the multiple red flags waving in your face. Being attached isn't a good reason to marry someone. You kind of implied it yourself--you can get attached to anyone you're with for a certain amount of time. Choose a more together object for your attachment next time.

How'd you end up being with someone like this for 15 months, anyway? You needed the sex and a warm body? Dude, look before you leap, next time. You have a brain, as well as a d1*k. Use your brain. It sounds like you brain's gotten all fogged up, or something.

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StutteringJohn View Post
Why? It's just an observation as to why she is struggling financially. She is neurotic and a little insecure.
And she grates on people's nerves? Just seemed like an unusual way to describe an SO, that's all.

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
When she is out the door and your paying back thousands the cost of a hooker multiple times a week wont look so bad anymore.
Hadn't thought of looking at it this way... but seems legit.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM

14 posts, read 15,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This thread just gets worse! Dude, wake up! This isn't someone you should remotely be considering getting engaged with. My guess is that she's using you as a life raft (consciously or unconsciously--it doesn't matter). Heed the multiple red flags waving in your face. Being attached isn't a good reason to marry someone. You kind of implied it yourself--you can get attached to anyone you're with for a certain amount of time. Choose a more together object for your attachment next time.

How'd you end up being with someone like this for 15 months, anyway? You needed the sex and a warm body? Dude, look before you leap, next time. You have a brain, as well as a d1*k. Use your brain. It sounds like you brain's gotten all fogged up, or something.
This is the smartest thing written here in a while as I have had this feeling for a long time. Don't get me wrong, we make a very good team together when her emotions are in check. But they often are not and I do get the feeling sometimes that I am the life raft. But she really works hard at making sure we stay together and get closer to each other, so it's not all about being a life raft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
And she grates on people's nerves? Just seemed like an unusual way to describe an SO, that's all.
It's my blunt way of putting things. I don't sugar coat the truth.

Last edited by StutteringJohn; 04-29-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 12:41 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
My college roommate did this for her boyfriend of four years at the time despite my telling her the many reasons why she shouldn't do this. She didn't listen to me saying they were planning on getting married.

...She's been paying his student loans every month so her credit doesn't get dinged because he left her high and dry on them. She's also never been able to support herself without living with a man. Due to his loans, she has either lived with a boyfriend or lived with her parents. She just got married to another guy who is now paying off that other guy's film school.

Just say no.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:49 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
My college roommate did this for her boyfriend of four years at the time despite my telling her the many reasons why she shouldn't do this. She didn't listen to me saying they were planning on getting married.

...She's been paying his student loans every month so her credit doesn't get dinged because he left her high and dry on them. She's also never been able to support herself without living with a man. Due to his loans, she has either lived with a boyfriend or lived with her parents. She just got married to another guy who is now paying off that other guy's film school.

Just say no.
And thats a milder hit than if a guy cosigns. Alot easier for a woman to live with a man to take care of her. If a guy was paying out it could result in a total loss of sex life.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:52 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Just give her $10k now. How does that sound? If you don't feel good about that I don't even know why you took the effort to post.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
NEVER co-sign anything for anyone. Never.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
NEVER co-sign anything for anyone. Never.
OP, you sound like you're trying to see clear of your emotions for this woman, but it would def be like taping a sign to your back that says: "SUCKER".

Sorry, but it had to be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships