Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 AM

16 posts, read 9,304 times

Advertisements

My parents divorce was a long, painful process that included constant fighting, backstabbing and cheating. I didn't know people could be that miserable just by staying with someone else. My mother will be suffering the consequences of that guy's actions to her last day.

I decided to stay single forever when I was a teen and things between my parents started to deteriorate more and more.

I haven't ever been on a date and don't plan to do so.

I admire my brother for having a girlfriend even after what he has witnessed, I hope things go well for him but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,285,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJump View Post
My parents divorce was a long, painful process that included constant fighting, backstabbing and cheating. I didn't know people could be that miserable just by staying with someone else. My mother will be suffering the consequences of that guy's actions to her last day.

I decided to stay single forever when I was a teen and things between my parents started to deteriorate more and more.

I admire my brother for having a girlfriend even after what he has witnessed, I hope things go well for him but I doubt it.
I grew up surrounded by my family members getting divorced. My aunt was married 4 times, all ended in divorce. My mom was married 2 times, all ended in divorce. My uncles were married and they divorced. I witnessed this and when I am reminded of it, it makes me think "If their marriages failed, my relationships will probably fail someday as well." Staying single avoids all that pain. Do what you have to do, even if it means staying on your own forever.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,529,704 times
Serious question; Do you do the opposite of everything your parents did wrong?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:32 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
If you plan on following in their footsteps in regards to having the same type of dynamics in your marriage it is probably best you stay single.
If you choose to have an actual relationship based on what you have seen with your parents and not do what they did you have a chance of staying married.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,118,175 times
My dad's parents had a horrible marriage. My dad had a wonderful marriage. He chose to be different from his parents. My dad's dad was a horrible dad. My dad was a wonderful dad.

Your life, your choices.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Serious question; Do you do the opposite of everything your parents did wrong?
I don't know, I would have to be in the same circunstances and I've never been together with anyone.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:35 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post

Your life, your choices.
^^^ This.

It's your life, you can either learn from the negative things and learn how to change them, or take other options such as never putting yourself in a situation.

At the end of the day, you are in control of what direction your life takes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:

No, it's not a good reason to stay single. It IS a good reason to get therapy, though. Don't allow your parents to have such a big negative influence on your life.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Your life, your choices.
Still, a single step can ruin your life forever. My mother is divorced but like I said, will always suffer the consequences. She'll never get those years back.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,118,175 times
Quote:
Still, a single step can ruin your life forever. My mother is divorced but like I said, will always suffer the consequences. She'll never get those years back.
Getting married to the wrong person is not a "single step."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships