Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:42 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
For me, they only have to be good-looking enough. You know, handsome to me and so I don't cringe in the morning before coffee.

Jillabean, what was your family like growing up? I ask b/c I could have written your OP except that I broke off the last relationship b/c he was crazy. But my family was pretty dysfunctional, as in emotionally unavailable, and I sometimes wonder if that had anything to do with it.
I think so.

It is obvious when women who come from broken homes choose the bad guys. But often it is also women who come from a functioning household, parents are happily married, but they are a bit distant or cold. I know several women who pick bad guys (including me) who come from an intact family, no drama, no divorces, no abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Whatever is wrong with you must be wrong with me as well! I haven't been on a date in a year and a half. I've been focusing on some other things and like you, really trying to find the reasons why I keep picking guys that don't treat me how I want and/or aren't available for a real relationship. Looking back on all my failed dating attempts, it was always me making the most effort. It was always me trying to keep things moving forward. And the writing was usually on the wall from date one that these guys weren't good candidates for a serious relationship. And still I pushed on, and then got absolutely crushed when however long later things didn't work out and develop how I wanted. At which point I would feel absolutely terrible about myself and think there must be something wrong with me that these guys didn't want to be in a relationship with me. Then I would dust myself off, get back online, and repeat the cycle again with a different guy.

I'm sure I could go back and find out some deeply buried reasons why I am the way I am. I had a marriage that ended pretty horribly too - he left me to marry a coworker who was not a very desirable catch in my opinion. Perhaps it started there and it wasn't so buried after all, and perhaps for you being rejected by a husband who realized he was gay had to be pretty crushing to your self esteem as well. For me, I think I really wanted to feel validated and good enough, so once I latched onto someone I just couldn't let it go. Their aloofness just made me all the more crazy and determined that they would want me because I didn't want to be rejected again. I wanted to prove to myself that someone I set my sights on could want me back too.

I think you should continue your break. Do things just for you - take a trip, decorate your house or apartment, whatever. Take the time to learn how to be okay with being alone and reflect on why you've been choosing the wrong guys and why even after you know they're wrong you can't let them go. I really hope that when I choose to try dating again I'll be stronger and I'll know that if he doesn't initiate dates and I have to constantly wonder why I don't hear from him, that it's not a reflection of me, but that he's just not the right guy and I'll be able to move on and let it go without feeling crushed.

You sound really rational and well put together to me. You just need to re-evaluate how you are choosing guys and set some really firm boundaries for what you are willing to put up with. I decided I would rather be alone forever than deal with any more guys who go MIA, send mixed signals, don't follow through when they say they'll be in touch, and just in general don't make much effort to show me they are interested and care about dating me!
Often you wonder why well put together women, who might be very successful in their career or in all other aspects in their life, are completely incapable to see which guy is good for them and which isn't.

I had alot of conversations about that with some of my friends (who are all like that).

Old 04-30-2014, 03:49 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Oh OP I feel your pain.

I've figured it like this -

Like everyone, we want a healthy happy relationship.

The inescapable truth is that it starts with a healthy happy relationship with YOURSELF.

When (IF) you become a healthy happy whole individual, then you will attract same.

If you are a confused and disappointed mess (like me) then you will attract the same.

I'm going on the most important journey of my life right now - a love affair with myself.

The Universe can take care of the rest. In other words, STOP LOOKING. It's probably right in front of you anyway, you're just too confused to see it.

Stop with the men and start with the

career
higher education
volunteer work
writing that book
learning how to speak Mandarin

whatever else you've always wanted to "get around to". Now's the time.

Find and fall in love with yourself. I plan to.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:50 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
if you have a bad men picker you won't recognize the good ones. You are subconsicously drawn to the wrong ones.

I call BS.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:51 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
I think so.

It is obvious when women who come from broken homes choose the bad guys. But often it is also women who come from a functioning household, parents are happily married, but they are a bit distant or cold. I know several women who pick bad guys (including me) who come from an intact family, no drama, no divorces, no abuse.
My therapist told me I married my mother.

Scariest thing is, I remember yelling that at him during the marriage.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
My therapist told me I married my mother.

Scariest thing is, I remember yelling that at him during the marriage.

I am a little confused. Are you female?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:56 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Just give it time and date a lot! You might not even know exactly what you want yet. Maybe the actual type of person is one you have not yet came across yet? You may find a man with qualities you adore, that prior to meeting him you may never would have thought twice about.

Try meeting men outside of your norm. No expectations, just go on dates and go from there. I understand you do this already to an extent, just keep moving forward.

I am 25 and I can honestly say I have probably been on 1 on 1 type dates with 200+ women prior to meeting my current girlfriend of about 2 years. There are some things about her I just LOVE that I never would have really thought twice about with other women I have dated. I'm glad I dated as many women as I had just to see opposite ends of every spectrum (although I do somewhat regret sleeping with as many as I have)

Just stop over analyzing and let things play out. I hate to say it, but to an extent, date a few men. Not seriously like "omg boyfriend and girlfriend" but be going out on casual dates. This way, you will be far less obsessing over all the small details of the one guy you're seeing.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Just give it time and date a lot! You might not even know exactly what you want yet. Maybe the actual type of person is one you have not yet came across yet? You may find a man with qualities you adore, that prior to meeting him you may never would have thought twice about.

Try meeting men outside of your norm. No expectations, just go on dates and go from there. I understand you do this already to an extent, just keep moving forward.

I am 25 and I can honestly say I have probably been on 1 on 1 type dates with 200+ women prior to meeting my current girlfriend of about 2 years. There are some things about her I just LOVE that I never would have really thought twice about with other women I have dated. I'm glad I dated as many women as I had just to see opposite ends of every spectrum (although I do somewhat regret sleeping with as many as I have)

Just stop over analyzing and let things play out. I hate to say it, but to an extent, date a few men. Not seriously like "omg boyfriend and girlfriend" but be going out on casual dates. This way, you will be far less obsessing over all the small details of the one guy you're seeing.
wow. You met your current gf when you were 23 and before that dated 200+ women? Who has so much time??

Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
He was kidding
WHO SEZ????

Yes, (hehe) I was kidding.

Quote:
wow. You met your current gf when you were 23 and before that dated 200+ women? Who has so much time??
Around here, that's got to be a record that will never be broken.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Around here, that's got to be a record that will never be broken.
If it didn't only happen in his mind ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships