Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:39 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesEW View Post

I've been trying to avoid the issue because she knows my position regarding marriage better than anyone else but if she goes on acting like this I'll have to ask her what's going through her head.

Do you think I should talk with her or just ignore the issue and it'll go away on its own?
Yes.

[nothing of this magnitude really goes away on its own]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 11:40 AM

16 posts, read 15,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Wouldn't you rather find this out now? Or maybe it doesn't matter to you. I guess if you don't want to get married or have children, it might not matter to you if you break up now or 5 years from now - but if she does want to get married and have children - that might make a big difference to her. If you love her - don't you want the best for her whether that includes you or not?
Ok I'll speak with her.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:40 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
You definitely have some issues if you've been together that long and can't discuss it.

Maybe your relationship isn't that strong to begin with.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So it sounds like there's no sense in her discussing it with you then. No wonder she's not saying anything.
What do you mean exactly? I'm just saying she already knows my position regarding this.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Maybe not - but being able to talk to your partner when things are bothering you is a marker of maturity and growing up.
We've never really had that big of an issue that required a very serious talk. Things usually flow very naturally between us.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And yet he's HERE, asking US to read her mind.
He's not the one that's wants marriage. It's her responsibility to be direct with if she wants marriage so badly.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:43 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
What do you mean exactly? I'm just saying she already knows my position regarding this.
I added to my post:

Quote:
So it sounds like there's no sense in her discussing it with you then. No wonder she's not saying anything, because the only thing she would be telling you is that she's leaving. She hasn't made up her mind yet, that's all.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:47 AM

350 posts, read 477,366 times
I'm going to bet the GF was hoping that the relationship would evolve and, having invested 13 years into it, is still hoping it might. Women do this, even when all the flags say no.

As to the OP's position on marriage:

Quote:
It's an institution that might have made sense a few decades ago. It's completely outdated nowadays, totally rotten. It's certainly a good way to ruin a good relationship. There's stats to prove it and all.
Having a uncompromising position about something that could save a relationship you seem to value is going to get you the same result.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:57 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
He's not the one that's wants marriage. It's her responsibility to be direct with if she wants marriage so badly.

IF she does sure, I think she should talk to him. He has SUSPICIONS that she may want to get married and he should talk to her.

They both should be talking to one another. I'm not going to split hairs on which one of them ultimately should be the one to start, that's unproductive for couples.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-03-2014, 12:01 PM

309 posts, read 348,675 times
Quote:
My girlfriend and I have been together for 13 years. We get along very well and I like her not only because she's beautiful and intelligent but because she allows us to keep our own personal spaces. No nagging or trying to control every move. We frequently travel on our own or with friends and go out at night with our own friends. Of course we do that together as well but it doesn't have to be all the time.

We've always lived apart even though we obviously spend weekends and holidays together.

Lately, however, she has been mentioning marriage a lot. I don't know if it's because many of our friends have married in the past 2 years and she's fascinated with that. I've caught her looking at wedding dresses in magazines/the web and if we are guests at a wedding she'll say things like "Isn't that beautiful? Just imagine it was us there."

I've been trying to avoid the issue because she knows my position regarding marriage better than anyone else but if she goes on acting like this I'll have to ask her what's going through her head.

Do you think I should talk with her or just ignore the issue and it'll go away on its own?
Sheesh, if you don't know after 13 years, you never will. Give it up and her dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships