Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
And also not expect anything from them. Just because you worked up the nerve to approach doesn't mean you will get what you want, and you need to be okay with that going in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I, personally, think that is part of treating people like people... as in not treating them like something to acquire, conquer, or get something from. Golden rule stuff. But fair enough
But i also think we are subdividing a bit too much. Remember, the poise and confidence one has will enable that person to approach and retreat in a way that will take care many of the "after-effects" such as dwelling on it not be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Why not quit over analyzing every word, thought and motion and approach someone and introduce yourself. Chat a bit, ask them out and respond appropriately if they say no.
Dating is not that complicated and I cannot figure out why so many want to make it complicated and over dramatic.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
It's called poise.
Thanks. I was looking for that.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
But i also think we are subdividing a bit too much. Remember, the poise and confidence one has will enable that person to approach and retreat in a way that will take care many of the "after-effects" such as dwelling on it not be successful.
confidence is overrated.
I remember Michael Buble said in one of his interview that he still has troubles approaching women because every single time you try to show vulnerability to people, you basically taking a risk.

Some people can STILL do it (cold approach), but let's not pretending they are some kind of experts. Nobody is.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why not quit over analyzing every word, thought and motion and approach someone and introduce yourself. Chat a bit, ask them out and respond appropriately if they say no.
Dating is not that complicated and I cannot figure out why so many want to make it complicated and over dramatic.
Seriously, I don't get it.

If you're talking to someone and you like them.. ask them out. If you don't really like them... don't ask them out.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Because not every is as confident as you to express what you have. Some people would be afraid to offend the OP. And as the OP, he or she may not have the confidence to quote and respond to a poster like you with such confidence.

Which brings me to another element I may need to add- the understanding of how to relate and read people, and when to choose battles, or in the case of this thread- approaching, in order to avoid conflict or unnecessary negative atmosphere and rejection.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If you're talking to someone and you like them.. ask them out. If you don't really like them... don't ask them out.

Can you expand on that, please

Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Can you expand on that, please
If................you're................ talking................ to................ someone................ and ................you................ like................ them.. ask................ them out. ................If ................you don't................ really................ like ................them................... don't ................ask................ them ................out.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Seriously, I don't get it.

This is a random approach thread and that is why you don't get it. We haven't even gotten to the point where the two are having a conversation. That is a totally different area that comes with personality and other elements.

That is why you don't get it- you are too many steps ahead and not employing (poise as nila jones added). You are too emotionally involved and blurting out without thinking. This thread is the "you are on line and you see a stunner". Not, "as you are hitting it off". Not the same….

But now you get it. It happens

Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 AM

11,794 posts, read 12,027,255 times
Quote:
If................you're................ talking................ to................ someone................ and ................you................ like................ them.. ask................ them out. ................If ................you don't................ really................ like ................them................... don't ................ask................ them ................out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships