Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:56 AM

706 posts, read 1,205,245 times

Advertisements

Sounds like she was searching for a reason to end it and this was it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
I never heard of hookah.

Both dictionary.com and the Urban Dictionary have it listed as a Persian smoking untensil.

I'm not clear if this is a fake post (top choice), involves occasional marijuana smoking, or a full blown nicotine habit.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,203 times
It's not you smoking--that's just one of the many issues, just the feather that broke the camels back.

It's probably another guy.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:38 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I never heard of hookah.

Both dictionary.com and the Urban Dictionary have it listed as a Persian smoking untensil.

I'm not clear if this is a fake post (top choice), involves occasional marijuana smoking, or a full blown nicotine habit.

I was confused on that too. Are you smoking pot or tobacco in it ?

Don

Old 05-10-2014, 06:55 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
It's not you(r) smoking--that's just one of the many issues, just the feather that broke the camels back.

It's probably another guy.
Wrong.

Both tobacco and marijuana can be deal breakers.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I dated a sneak smoker who would always tell me he'd quit when he hadn't. Not only was the habit super gross, the lying and sneaking around was ultra unattractive and a big attraction killer.

It also sound like smoking is higher priority to you than that particular relationship. Maybe that's valid, but, really, if you are more into smoking hookah than you are having that girlfriend, I can't think why you'd be that broken up that it's over.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,946 times
You made a promise and then betrayed it. Of course she's out. She was just dealing with it hoping you'd quit up until then, but the hookah smoking is more important to you than her obviously. Not sure why you're upset about it. You got what you wanted - you get to keep your hookah smoking habit.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:58 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed12 View Post
Ok so my girlfreind of 18 months just broke up with me for smoking hookah.. Okay its a dealbreaker for her, but what I dont get is that she knew I smoked before we even first started dating. I only do it every once in a while, im not addicted or anything. And knowing that, she still dated me for a year and a half. 2 months ago we got in a big argument because of it, and i promised her ill stop. But recently I ended up doing it again, and I told her about it myself and she got hella mad and is like im not dating a smoker, you lied to me, you promised youll stop.

But I only do it every once in a while, like once a month, its not affecting my smell my mouth taste or nothing, I dont see why its such a big deal if she already knew I did it... She doesnt even apprecate that i barely do it now. Okay I lied, and she takes lieing seriously.. but shes breaking up with me cause Im a smoker, not because i lied. wev had our problems in the past, is she just fed up or what?
If it was that much of a dealbreaker for her, she shouldn't have gone out with you in the first place. I don't know why people partner up expecting to change the other person.

However, "okay, I lied, and she takes lying seriously," that's a pretty big deal. Lies destroy trust, and even though she's saying the break-up is about the smoking, I would hazard a guess it's more than a little bit about being lied to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed12 View Post
Shes like "You chose hookah over me, thats not love, why dont you go marry hookah" and like smoking is disgusting, and extremly unattractive, and she cant stand it.. but again, she dated me for 18 months, knowing from day one i did it.
Maybe this is my age and generation showing, but am I the only one here who read that, "You chose hookers over me. Why don't you marry a hooker?"

Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 AM

338 posts, read 384,790 times
You aren't a "smoker".

You use "drugs".

Big dif!!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:45 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Why are people who clearly have no idea what going to a hookah bar or smoking hookah is, even posting in here? Some of you are trying to talk about something you know nothing about and look like idiots.

Unless he is smoking marijuana, which he didn't state he is, he is smoking a flavored tobacco out of a hookah.

This isn't drugs, and it's not like cigarettes in which you can get addicted and do all day every day. It's not like people are bringing hookahs in their car or out in public.

I understand that she didn't want to date you because of it. Fine, that's her choice. I dated a smoker once and I gave her an ultimatum, me or cigarettes, she quit. I would not date a smoker, however if it was someone that goes to a hookah bar with friends once a month, that's not a big deal (to me).. I'd much rather date someone who smoked hookah once or twice a month, than someone who drank on a weekly basis.

Of course, by the responses by many in this thread, most of you have never done this so you are in no place to even respond, because you're obviously confused by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships