Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed12 View Post
Ok so my girlfreind of 18 months just broke up with me for smoking hookah.. Okay its a dealbreaker for her, but what I dont get is that she knew I smoked before we even first started dating. I only do it every once in a while, im not addicted or anything. And knowing that, she still dated me for a year and a half. 2 months ago we got in a big argument because of it, and i promised her ill stop. But recently I ended up doing it again, and I told her about it myself and she got hella mad and is like im not dating a smoker, you lied to me, you promised youll stop.

This is not about smoking. This is about making a committment and remaining committed.

[don't make promises you can't keep]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 01:23 AM

416 posts, read 871,206 times
If she broke up with you for smoking shisha, exclusively, when she knew it... she'd be a *****.

Considering she broke up with you because you lied to her... I can't necessarily blame her.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,193,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Smart girl. If you lied to her about that one thing what would you lie about next ? Trust is the cornerstone of every relationship, and you broke that trust. Plus, that habit is REALLY disgusting.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You like hookah more than your relationship. That's the problem.

Besides, if you're having trouble with this issue, I imagine there are several others you're not even aware of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
You made a promise and then betrayed it. Of course she's out. She was just dealing with it hoping you'd quit up until then, but the hookah smoking is more important to you than her obviously. Not sure why you're upset about it. You got what you wanted - you get to keep your hookah smoking habit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not liking you smoking... strike one.
You lying about it... strike two.

Apparently she did not to wait for the third strike; she just got you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
You promised her you would stop, You didn't.
You where well aware she had an issue with your smoking or you wouldn't have had to lie in the first place.

You created your own issue....enjoy your self made problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You knew it was a deal breaker for her...she gave you a chance and some time...and you still goofed up. She did the right thing.

Grow up and learn. Give up the smoking....she's right....it's very unattractive and disgusting. My husband and I have been married for over 20 years....and smoking has been a deal breaker since day one for both of us.
These threads and their reactions based on gender are always really interesting to me.

If the post is about a male and his lying, whether it be about his past, hookah, or a promise, the focus is always on his lying and why he's wrong and she should leave.

Now flip the script. If the post is about a woman and her lying (especially about her past), the focus again is on his issues. His insecurity or what he did to make her feel she had to lie. Rarely is the focus on the fact that she lied, or in this situation, that she is blowing something way out of proportion (if people actually took the time to understand what hookah is and not blow up with a negative reaction when they hear the buzz word "smoking").

Most threads I see where a woman lies about something small, the advice to the guy is to think about if he really loves her enough to forgive and move on. Here, it's "you messed up, you're done, cya."

Always interesting.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,193,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
You aren't a "smoker".

You use "drugs".

Big dif!!
Quote:
"Hookah" :

Herb
Blunt
Roach
MJ..Mary Jane
Weed
Pot
Dope
Refer
ZIG

Cigarette :

Smoke
Puffy
Coffin Nail
Cancer Stick

"Drugs"
Quote:
If indeed it was used for tobacco, the OP should have said so. Even E-cigs are nicotine......it may be misleading.

Even so, "those" kinds of pipes and devices are commonly considered "drug" paraphernalia and treated as such. Get stopped sometime and try explaining what that clear straw with the burnt residue is used for. You'll see why and what I am talking about.

IMO, the Ops girlfriend bailed because she didn't like being around unlawful substances.
Quote:
Smoke a big fatty for Matty. lol
Quote:
Kinda like all the people who just 'love' the smell of burning incense and candles all the time for which I enter their homes on short notice. Uh, yeah...ok....whatever you are into.

What's all these snacks and crap laying out on the counter and table for anyways?

Oh, you're VERY hungry....I understand that much!
Quote:
Old boy got dumped cuz he smokes dope, NOT tobacco....

End of thread! lol

Jefferson Airplane -White Rabbit- - YouTube
Dude. You are the only one ignorantly pressing the marijuana angle.

Smoking hookah is not unlawful, nor is it marijuana. When you smoke hookah, you are smoking flavored tobacco. It does not get you high, and is completely legal.

Most hookah smokers consider it a novelty, and partake once a month if one happens to be around.

Stop. You are dumbing down the entire thread with misinformation.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:13 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post

Smoking hookah is not unlawful, nor is it marijuana. When you smoke hookah, you are smoking flavored tobacco. It does not get you high, and is completely legal.

Most hookah smokers consider it a novelty, and partake once a month if one happens to be around.

True man, hookah bars, clubs, and lounges are common in my city.. It's a social thing. I don't smoke tobacco, though I have smoked weed in a hookah before lol. ...But I do agree w/ everyone who said the OP shouldn't have promised not to smoke if he wasn't going to stop.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
These threads and their reactions based on gender are always really interesting to me.

If the post is about a male and his lying, whether it be about his past, hookah, or a promise, the focus is always on his lying and why he's wrong and she should leave.

Now flip the script. If the post is about a woman and her lying (especially about her past), the focus again is on his issues. His insecurity or what he did to make her feel she had to lie. Rarely is the focus on the fact that she lied, or in this situation, that she is blowing something way out of proportion (if people actually took the time to understand what hookah is and not blow up with a negative reaction when they hear the buzz word "smoking").

Most threads I see where a woman lies about something small, the advice to the guy is to think about if he really loves her enough to forgive and move on. Here, it's "you messed up, you're done, cya."

Always interesting.

Feminist movement going strong.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:01 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Quote:

Thank you. I grew up in a muslim country where hanging out and smoking hookah (or shisha) was akin to going out to the bar with your mates and watching the game. You can put other drugs such as hashish in the pipe but the vast majority of the time it is nothing more than tobacco. Funnily enough, people get worked up over the idea of smoking weed but alcohol and tobacco are far more lethal drugs.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:34 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Hookah is just the pipe. Shisha is the flavored tobacco. Smoking weed/hash out of a hookah isn't uncommon, even if that isn't the intended use of the thing, so it shouldn't come as a huge surprise if some people are assuming the OP is talking about marijuana.

Back to the OP: if you're only an occasional smoker, you're not physically addicted. Which means you made a genuine choice to go smoke despite telling her you wouldn't. Which means you prioritized a brief pleasure over being honest and trustworthy. That's not the kind of person one wants to date long-term.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:35 PM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Thank you. I grew up in a muslim country where hanging out and smoking hookah (or shisha) was akin to going out to the bar with your mates and watching the game. You can put other drugs such as hashish in the pipe but the vast majority of the time it is nothing more than tobacco. Funnily enough, people get worked up over the idea of smoking weed but alcohol and tobacco are far more lethal drugs.
Rep for you.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:53 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
lame, I wouldn't deal with it.

I'd probably quit smoking because smoking isn't good.. but I wouldn't quit for a girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships