Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times

Advertisements

^^^^I agree- If I work, he has to work....he has to have the same level of ambition, motivation & passion that I have to live a good life.
If not, he's just going nowhere real fast.
Who's got time for slackers??

Old 05-12-2014, 12:07 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
I've always thought that this type of thinking casts women as little more than highly selective prostitutes.
Social class is probably more important than finances for most.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I've always thought that this type of thinking casts women as little more than highly selective prostitutes.
Social class is probably more important than finances for most.
How does expecting your SO to earn as much as you prostitution? Don't you know what prostitution means? It means selling your body for sexual pleasure. A working woman isn't selling her body to anyone.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
I would agree it's true but it goes for both sexes. I don't think most people would want to date someone if they make a lot less than them. I personally never found the income of a woman sexy or appealing and could care less. Money isn't everything!!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
As a fairly middle class guy, I don't even think I'd want to marry into money. I mean, if I met someone I really liked and it was the same way then obviously that'd be different.. but I wouldn't necessarily look for a rich girl or someone outside of my social class. I'm not even sure I'd fit in with huge millionaires.

I'm sure someday I'll have a good amount of money, but I'd rather make that money with someone who also is middle class and get there by earning it instead of just marrying in.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
I think that is true.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
How does expecting your SO to earn as much as you prostitution? Don't you know what prostitution means? It means selling your body for sexual pleasure. A working woman isn't selling her body to anyone.
Yeah, I don't get it either.

Most women contribute financially to the marriage--just like the husband. In a marriage both the husband and wife work together as team on a future. You look after each other and support each other. You can (but don't have to) raise children together. You are companions for each other not only in good times and youth, but in bad times and old age. Due to biology, the man often supports his wife more when she's just given birth to their children and can't work. But also due to biology (and women living longer), most often it's the elderly wife who is the caregiver taking care of her dying elderly husband. It's not only love, but it's give and take for the betterment of the team... the family unit weather it's just the two of them or more.

A prostitute does love the man she's with. In fact she often hates him and he's just using her body. There is no future together. There is nothing other than sex. She does it to get money for herself and it's done--on to the next.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I would agree it's true but it goes for both sexes. I don't think most people would want to date someone if they make a lot less than them. I personally never found the income of a woman sexy or appealing and could care less. Money isn't everything!!
Money may not be everything, but the absence of money, quite simply, sucks.

Part of why I only date guys in a similar income bracket is that I find it greatly reduces the potential for a lot of arguments about how money is spent.

I have some expensive hobbies/interests -- I'm very much a "work hard, play hard" type of woman. Most of the guys I've dated have been the same. The only way I'm interested in sharing finances is to keep separate bank accounts with a shared 3rd account for household expenses. Negotiate how much each of us contribute to that 3rd account, which is used for all truly shared/household/living expenses and bills. (My preference is that we'd contribute enough for that month's anticipated expenses, plus an additional amount to be treated as reserves.)

If my best friend and I want to spend a long weekend at a luxury spa getting massages and soaking in dead sea salt scrubs, great, that comes out of my personal account and my SO has no right to complain about the cost because how much I'm spending has absolutely zero impact on him or on our relationship. If he wants to spend a weekend in Vegas with his brothers . . . same deal. If we want a new

The few times I've tried dating guys who made significantly less than I did, they were very uncomfortable with some of the ways I chose to spend/save my money. (Some of them were also uncomfortable in general with the idea that if we got married, I would be the primary breadwinner.) I remember taking one guy to a fairly nice restaurant for his birthday and he was really uncomfortable once he saw the prices and got upset . . . even though I was picking up the tab. Or criticizing me for "wasting" money on things like a weekly pedicure (which is my "me" time and a guaranteed hour every week when I get to unplug from my phone and just relax and think about nothing) or a cleaning service.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I guess the $250,000 question is:

If a prostitute sells her body to just one person over and over, is she still a prostitute?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
A prostitute does love the man she's with. In fact she often hates him and he's just using her body. There is no future together. There is nothing other than sex. She does it to get money for herself and it's done--on to the next.
That's a very narrow view of what prostitutes are like.
They can fall in love just like everyone else... assuming they feel worthy.

And most of their clients like to keep coming back to the same one... it's a paid-for relationship that can go on for months or years.
In some cases, they don't even have sex... they just talk without the fear of judgment or rejection.

Some men are basically paying the prostitute to not reject them... and so they can know that sex is definitely on the table. How is that so different from women only looking at how much money someone makes? It's all capitalism at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships