Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,193,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This. It's a forum about personal relationships (=personal experiences) and personal opinions. It's not journalism or dissertation practice. People mainly link articles only when some seriously wacked statements or generalities or fantastical views on reality are being posted as fact. What gets me is when someone links a men's rant blog as authoritative.

It's the internet. You roll with the punches, and don't take it too seriously.
Please. I posted links to the CDC and other reputable sites in regards to the obesity problem in America and you replied with "welllll not where I liiiiive."

Anecdotes, people's own biases and world views trump reality and data at CD. Every. Single. Time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post
Please. I posted links to the CDC and other reputable sites in regards to the obesity problem in America and you replied with "welllll not where I liiiiive."

Anecdotes, people's own biases and world views trump reality and data at CD. Every. Single. Time.
Are you rehashing old conversations? As you might recall, that whole convo was precisely about regional differences in obesity.

Sheesh.

OK, back to topic...

Old 05-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you rehashing old conversations? As you might recall, that whole convo was precisely about regional differences in obesity.

Sheesh.

OK, back to topic...
That was on topic to illustrate how data from reputable sites doesn't matter on CD, you just wanted to take a shot across the bow.

But since you decided to go off topic, I'll bite, and wrangle it back in at the same time.

The whole convo was not just about regional differences, I conceded that point early on. Newbie here also tried to state that age skewed the numbers, to which I disproved with DATA, yet was still rebuffed. Further proving that the personal world view and bias trumps data on CD.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM

Is there a reason you assumed he had that exchange in mind when he posted on this thread? You sound almost as though you feel he'd made a personal attack against you, or something.

Everybody just chill out.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Is there a reason you assumed he had that exchange in mind when he posted on this thread? You sound almost as though you feel he'd made a personal attack against you, or something.

Ruthy, what are you talking about, I like this thread. Are you trying to paint me as upset to portray more posts coming from an emotional place? A very tried and true internet tactic, but I assure there is no emotion here.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:

But to your point. No. I did not, but it reminded me of that exchange. He referenced fanatical websites as sources. I reminded the forum that I used a very reputable source, yet was met with "you can't always go with the data dude, you have to go with your senses." Slightly paraphrased but quite close to the reaction I got after disproving his comments with data. Once again, showing that data means nothing here.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Ruthy, what are you talking about, I like this thread. Are you trying to paint me as upset to portray more posts coming from an emotional place? A very tried and true internet tactic, but I assure there is no emotion here.
And yet, you were defensive about a post that probably didn't pertain to you. It just seemed odd, that's all.

Oh well.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
And yet, you were defensive about a post that probably didn't pertain to you. It just seemed odd, that's all.

Oh well.
Defensive is a stretch.

He claimed that the reason data is often disregarded is because it comes from "fanatical sources." I reminded him that he also disregarded data from a quite reputable source, which furthered my overall point in relation to the OP.

You just took it as something it wasn't and ran with it.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:

He claimed that the reason data is often disregarded is because it comes from "fanatical sources."
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster;
People mainly link articles only when some seriously wacked statements or generalities or fantastical views on reality are being posted as fact. What gets me is when someone links a men's rant blog as authoritative.
It really doesn't say what you think it does.

*sighhhh*

Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
It really doesn't say what you think it does.

*sighhhh*
I'm done here, you're not trying to engage in discussion, rather do what you normally do, which isn't much of contribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships