Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:27 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Maybe we should. The social stigma on out of wedlock births was far from ideal but clearly the lesser evil compared to what we have today, whereby you have a large and growing underclass having kids out of wedlock, many of whom have little hope of ever getting off government subsidies & support into the middle class (which was all done by design, IMO).
Exactly, You hit a point made that not many want to state and that is the welfare system. The reality is most of these kids are being raised on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 02:28 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You're right - calling children bastards is much better than loving thy neighbor.

I wouldn't have children with out getting married but to each their own.
Ideally, no one would do that. But at the same time, sometimes love is harsh. It's not always a warm and squishy thing like some people think. The harshness of stigmatizing (the parents) serves a greater purpose...It prevents the so-called adults AND any potential kids from economic and emotional poverty.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
It's not calling the kids that but looking at the parents with disgust that they did it intentionally to their kids. I wouldn't call the kids that. I would tell the parents though they were wrong for doing it. If that sounds harsh, Taco Man is even worse and more judgmental about this and told this woman she was evil for doing that. I'm not as harsh but I do feel it is wrong.
Quote:
No we go around trying to help them. I offer to bring them to church and he offers to help them with what they need. We are being compassionate but some are lost and why hurt the kids more? Kids deserve a stable family like what both of us dealt with. Both of us were raised with married parents and were not raised on welfare. Kids deserve that.
So - which is it? Do you look at people with disgust, tell them they are wrong, tell them they are evil - or do you help them with what they need? Oh - and church isn't for everyone. If you want to help someone - help them.
Quote:
Ideally, no one would do that. But at the same time, sometimes love is harsh. It's not always a warm and squishy thing like some people think. The harshness of stigmatizing (the parents) serves a greater purpose...It prevents the so-called adults AND any potential kids from economic and emotional poverty.
I disagree completely. I think that having parents that are married is what is best for children and that if you can't make a legal commitment to someone - you shouldn't raise children with them. However, stigmatizing people and "harshness" serves no purpose expect for people to try to make themselves feel superior to others.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Well I wouldn't call the kids that but would be thinking it of the parents. It's not the kids fault their parents did it.
So you want other people to take up the important cause of stigmatizing children born out of wedlock. Gotcha.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe we should. The social stigma on out of wedlock births was far from ideal but clearly the lesser evil compared to what we have today, whereby you have a large and growing underclass having kids out of wedlock, many of whom have little hope of ever getting off government subsidies & support into the middle class (which was all done by design, IMO).
You too are invited to call my nephew a bastard within my earshot. I suspect, however, that you wouldn't have the stones either. Don't worry, though, I'm positive your pearl-clutching doesn't go unnoticed.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So - which is it? Do you look at people with disgust, tell them they are wrong, tell them they are evil - or do you help them with what they need? Oh - and church isn't for everyone. If you want to help someone - help them.
It depends. Some people I look at with disgust and others I try to help. When people refuse help then I tell them they are wrong. However they should be helping themselves.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
So you want other people to take up the important cause of stigmatizing children born out of wedlock. Gotcha.
No I do it and am quite open about it. Taco Man is far worse and he will tell people he won't talk to them as long as they sin.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
No I do it and am quite open about it. Taco Man is far worse and he will tell people he won't talk to them as long as they sin.
Make up your mind! A few posts ago you said you didn't. Please do not get me started on what I think of your boyfriend.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
It depends. Some people I look at with disgust and others I try to help. When people refuse help then I tell them they are wrong. However they should be helping themselves.
Quote:
You guys sound awesome! Making the world a better place one disgusted look at a time!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Vis a vis the social stigma of unmarried parents. Many of you may think that it is passe and "no big deal" but I can assure you that people of the upper class very much still look down on children born out of wedlock. They still consider such a situation unacceptable and vile. If your friends think that it's normal and perfectly ok, then you need to take a good look at the class of people you call friends.

I am not trying to be insulting, I am simply trying to point out that certain behavior that might be acceptable to one class of people is not necessarily acceptable to others. And if you want to elevate yourself in life, you want to make sure you don't do the things that make you look like a lower class person. That's all I am trying to say.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships