Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:37 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,276,179 times

Advertisements

Me.

Been proposed to twice.

Had to say no twice.

Weird thing when you don't want it, and are comfortable and chill, they want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:00 AM

19 posts, read 41,914 times
Nothing, for me.

I refuse to get married on principle, until they make divorce arrangements more fair for everyone.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,773,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
For those wondering ... I never came up with the relationship talk with any of these guys. However, they knew from the get go I was not a hook-up kind of girl. I never talk about the "relationship" aspect first. They're usually the ones who come up with the issue and tell me what I mentioned in my previous post.

I never forced anybody into anything. Chill people. I just asked a general question.

By the way - No point in sending me messages/rep comments to tell me "they don't want to commit to YOU". I got the point.
I don't have an answer for you, because I don't know (not a man after all). And I recently faced the same issue (man got along great with me, liked my company, seemed physically attracted to me... but didn't want to be in a relationship beyond casual dating). Could be a chemistry thing I suppose. But I just don't know.

But your use of the word "commit" has most of the people in this thread talking about marriage, and not just being in a committed relationship (like you are asking). I think they read the thread title and nothing else at times (and I've been guilty of that too in all honestly).

You might have to re-start with another thread because once these things get off track, they never seem to get back on the rails again. Maybe title it, "what makes a man want to be your boyfriend?"

Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 AM

10,932 posts, read 11,657,815 times
Younger, single men, God only knows what we Flower Children were thinking when we were young. Divorced men, simple: sex.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,541,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
They disagreed with me, but they basically agreed with each other.

Wow, you can never be clear enough for some people...
When it's a yes or no question, i.e. will a man commit to the "right woman," you'll end up with two camps. Given your thread about CD logic, I'd think you'd have better insight into your position. You don't speak for all men nor perhaps even for most men. Or are you insisting you do?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,730,702 times
This thread is not about marriage, I repeat!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,773,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
This thread is not about marriage, I repeat!
Like I mentioned above, a lot of people won't notice. It's like trying to stop a river of water with a kitchen sponge at this point... too many are off on the marriage tangent. You might be better off starting a new thread and title it something else like "what makes men want to be your boyfriend" since that's what you are really asking.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,462,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
When it's a yes or no question, i.e. will a man commit to the "right woman," you'll end up with two camps. Given your thread about CD logic, I'd think you'd have better insight into your position. You don't speak for all men nor perhaps even for most men. Or are you insisting you do?
I never said I spoke for all men, and there is no way you could reasonably infer I thought I did from what I have written on this thread. Again, clarity is apparently wasted on some people.

The OP's basic concern was if something about her was making the men in her life reluctant to commit. She got a number of responses that claimed most men would eagerly commit to the right woman. That implies that yes, she may well be the problem.

Given the huge number of men who prefer FWB arrangements to committed relationships, who see marriage as nothing but a trap, who say, "Let's not put a label us us" when pressed by the women they are sleeping with to define their relationships, I find the notion that she is the problem questionable. It is not my perception that most men are dying to get into committed, monogamous, LTR, but just haven't found the right woman yet. Frankly, I think that is a rather naive view.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,541,081 times
At this point, Roger, you seem really confused about what I said and what you said in return. I'm not interested in rehashing it.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,578,833 times
Stupidity in 99% of the cases.
Social Pressure for the remaining 1%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships