Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I heard people say you can tell how the daughter will look later by how the mother looks

if the daughter is young and slim now and the mother is very heavy or obese , chances are the daughter is also going to look like that when she ages in 20 years

by obeservation I do notice when the parents are heavy or over weight the children usually end up the same way and already look heavy by the teen years, also eye glasses, if the parents wear glasses the kids usually need glasses too
No. It doesn't apply to weight. It applies to facial characteristics, and how well or poorly someone ages. But considering that 50% of her genetic material comes from her father, you really can't tell, unless she resembles her mother to some extent.

But many non-genetic factors influence how someone ages. If the mother smoked and used alcohol, and was a sun-worshipper, she could look "old" by 50, whereas if the daughter avoided all those things, ate healthfully, and got plenty of exercise, she could look young at 50.

Also, if the mother is obese at 50 or 60, all that may mean is that she's not using hormone replacement therapy. If the daughter does use it (if she even needs it) when the time comes, she could stay in good shape the rest of her life. There are many unpredictable factors involved.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-13-2014 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:09 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,203 times
It's like any other saying or stereotype. True in some cases, and untrue for others. My grandmother has 4 kids. My father and 3 aunts. None of my aunts look like her, when she was younger, or older.

My mother favors her mother a bit though, but also her father. Hard to tell whom she looks more like. Many say I look like my mother. But I don't see it lol and some guys don't. 1 guy that knew my mother says my mother is hot, but i'm not. lol

So, just depends on the genes and the people.

Both my parents are black, and wear glasses. So, I got a double dose of bad vision as I have albinism. So, I have no color in my skin at all, blonde hair, and green eyes-my parents have none of that, and neither does my brother. Majority don't know my ethnicity unless they see my parents, or ask. And even some that have seen my parents wondered if I was adopted. Very few seem to know about albinism. At least where I live. And having albinism, more than just pigment effects eyesight as well. So, my parents need glasses, which I may have taken after them, in combination with my albinism. My vision sits at 20/200. I am over 18 and never even learned to drive as my optometrist says with my less than great vision, I may not qualify for a license. So, I was never in a rush to learn. But I am gonna try now, as having no car in a small rural town is very limited.

And as for the albinism, that hasn't shown up in my family for a while. I was the first in a few generations. So genetics is totally wild. No telling whose genes you'll have.

Last edited by HappyRain; 05-13-2014 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Genetics obviously play a role, but I am built like the women on my paternal side, not my mom. She is short, muscular, and compact, where as I and all my dad's sisters are tall, wide-hipped, and broad shouldered. It just depends on how your cocktail of dominant/recessive genes shake out. You might take after one parent or the other, or somebody from a previous generation.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
I heard people say you can tell how the daughter will look later by how the mother looks

if the daughter is young and slim now and the mother is very heavy or obese , chances are the daughter is also going to look like that when she ages in 20 years

by obeservation I do notice when the parents are heavy or over weight the children usually end up the same way and already look heavy by the teen years, also eye glasses, if the parents wear glasses the kids usually need glasses too
I like your word games

Old 05-13-2014, 04:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

It would depend on which parent the kids take after. If both parents wear glasses, the chances are higher the kids will need glasses. Unless a kid happened to get a good eyesight gene from a grandparent, or something. But if one parent has vision problems and another doesn't, well, it's a crap shoot for the kid.

Don't they teach this stuff in HS biology anymore?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,768 times
Probably not if she looks just like her father.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Probably not if she looks just like her father.
Case in point: the daughter of Christie Brinkley and Billy Joel.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
I don't think you can draw and hard and fast conclusions when it come to what a daughter will look like. From my own experience I have known quite a few women who resemble their mothers, but by the same token, I've know women who do not resemble their mothers. My mother in law is stick thin and neither of her daughters are thin. My mother was thin, my sister gained weight after she got married and had three kids, she never did anything to take that weight off. She resembled the women on my father's side of the family, they were all heavy.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In my case I can only hope so
I can only say your Mom must have been a good lookin' woman too!!!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:

It would seem logical that the daughter (or the son, GASP!!) would have some of the physical characteristics of her biological mother (and maybe even her father).

[this may require further study...]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships