Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:58 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Your friends must figure that the sex makes all the drama worth it.
Sometimes it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:59 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaetonEL View Post
I do but people always think they know what's best for you better than you do.
Another reason why you need new friends. Friends don't do that to each other. It's kind of condescending. Lots of people go through HS and college without having a relationship, and no one tells them they're missing out.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:16 PM

18 posts, read 14,401 times
Quote:
Another reason why you need new friends. Friends don't do that to each other. It's kind of condescending. Lots of people go through HS and college without having a relationship, and no one tells them they're missing out.
All friends do that, more or less, but they all do it in one way or another.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:22 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Dude, you posted a thread asking why your friends say you're missing out. Someone actually posts to that topic (instead of what others think your topic really is: your choice not to date), and gives you pretty decent advice, and you blow it off.

So, why did you post your topic? I agree, btw. Your friends sound like jerks and like losers who aren't able to have stable, mature relationships.

Not that you care about my opinion, either.

So should we just delete your thread? I can't figure out why you keep posting if you blow off relevant comments.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
All your friends do. You have limited experience.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
All your friends do. You have limited experience.
Perhaps they start doing it less or none at all as you get older but certainly not when you are my age. I think at this age people need other people going through the same drama, I don't know.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:58 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Because you are missing out.
You are activity avoiding situations.

You are doing so out of fear and the mindset that your life will be exsactly like your friends. you're taking all YOUR influence and judgment away (aka control of your life) and just sitting in the corner going "no no no no I don't want that"

A choice is one thing, avoidance based on fear and perception is a total other ball game.

Life is nothing but ups and downs. Even those of us with the best lives possible get hit with the unexpected or unwanted. It's not about avoiding things, it's about growing as an individual who is capable of understanding and dealing with what controls them or holds them back.

A life of fear is a life of complacency

Avoidance is not control.

Last edited by rego00123; 05-15-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 03:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
I do but people always think they know what's best for you better than you do.
Well, the way you solve that is not giving them a platform to speak in the first place. If they keep on the subject, reduce the amount of time you spend with them.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Well, the way you solve that is not giving them a platform to speak in the first place. If they keep on the subject, reduce the amount of time you spend with them.
Many of them go to the college as I do so it's hard to avoid them. Then I don't feel like I should avoid them, I enjoy their company apart from these topics.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:06 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
I'm 23 and I decided to stay on my own forever when I was 16. I just lead my life the way I want, go to college, don't bother anyone nor get into other's peoples lives.

However, a few close friends who know this (especially females) say I'm missing out and yet they are always in trouble with their boyfriends/girlfriends. Always arguing and getting mad at each other, breaking up all the time and getting together again. Then we go out together as a group and they should up with a bad face and you know they fighted again and again.

So it's hard to understand what I'm exactly missing out.
Logically, if you've never had it, you're not missing anything. But I know what they mean.

As a mid 40's woman with what feels like 2 lifetimes behind me, I can confidently say that I would have been silly to make a decision like that when I was 16, only because it is limiting. You can live life the way you want even with other people in it. That is the whole purpose of relationships; to connect with others who have similar interests and respect your goals and boundaries. But, if you truly feel no need to connect to others, that's fine too, as long as you are being authentic and not suppressing the need to connect because you're afraid of something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships