Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 14,395 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 and I decided to stay on my own forever when I was 16. I just lead my life the way I want, go to college, don't bother anyone nor get into other's peoples lives.

However, a few close friends who know this (especially females) say I'm missing out and yet they are always in trouble with their boyfriends/girlfriends. Always arguing and getting mad at each other, breaking up all the time and getting together again. Then we go out together as a group and they should up with a bad face and you know they fighted again and again.

So it's hard to understand what I'm exactly missing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Not everyone's relationships are like that. Some go pretty smoothly, and are full of love, mutual support and warm intimacy.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
If you don't think or feel like you are missing out, then why do you care what they think? Furthermore, why are you on the "relationship" board? asking us what we think? Are you having doubts about what you wanted seven years ago when you were just a kid? You do know that it's ok to change your mind about what your mindset was as a teen. In fact, we almost have to change the way we think. Otherwise, we'll never grow up . Most likely, your twenty, thirty or even forty year old self won't even remember how you thought back then, or why. Perhaps all of that was good for you at that time, but (and perhaps this is what your friends are thinking) people change what they want as they age. Maybe, you are realizing that your once young 16 year old self didn't or couldn't exactly know what was best for her in the future.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not everyone's relationships are like that. Some go pretty smoothly, and are full of love, mutual support and warm intimacy.
I hardly see that. And I'm not just referring to my generation.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I almost always order a chocolate based dessert, despite many people trying to convince to try other desserts.

I'm happy with chocolate, and I don't care what other people think. Because I'm happy, I don't feel I'm missing out, and therefore..... I'm not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-14-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaetonEL View Post

Don't judge what you might or should want by what you see from others in your life. Everything is not so black and white. Maybe you are just scared, and therefore, you are defending your observations to the fullest because it's better than realizing that some people actually might have good relationships. Something for whatever reason your mind just does not want to recognize/ accept. Because it goes against what "arguments" you are making.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
It's not a generational thing. It's about maturity vs. unresolved baggage, often.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
If you don't think or feel like you are missing out, then why do you care what they think? Furthermore, why are you on the "relationship" board? asking us what we think? Are you having doubts about what you wanted seven years ago when you were just a kid? You do know that it's ok to change your mind about what your mindset was as a teen. In fact, we almost have to change the way we think. Otherwise, we'll never grow up . Most likely, your twenty, thirty or even forty year old self won't even remember how you thought back then, or why. Perhaps all of that was good for you at that time, but (and perhaps this is what your friends are thinking) people change what they want as they age. Maybe, you are realizing that your once young 16 year old self didn't or couldn't exactly know what was best for her in the future.
It's just odd they would say something like this when they are living proof that I'm not. No, I haven't changed my mind and will never will. I was just wondering about it.

P.S. I'm a man.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:28 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
everyone doesnt fit in a single mold

people are a bunch of sheep that need to be lead and told what to do

women who use the phrase "your missing out" always end up a 40 yr old single mom with no options unless they. successfully gold dig a sucker

just do you, ultimately noone cares about these people

Old 05-14-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
It's just odd they would say something like this when they are living proof that I'm not. No, I haven't changed my mind and will never will. I was just wondering about it.

P.S. I'm a man.
Well, I've heard many people in my life say that they do not want a relationship. I've heard it all before. In their case, it was usually a reason to give to why they were alone. By saying that, you don't have to explain anything to anyone. I'll take your word for it that you are the exception and that you really don't want a relationship. If that's the case, hey go for whatever makes you happy. You don't miss what you have never had. That is very true. Just stay the course though. Because some day, you might run into a woman who will blow your socks off and you will want a relationship. Be wary, we don't always control our own fate. Sometimes that little rotten baby cupid just throws those arrows around like he or she is juggling. Watch for what you ask for. You might just get it and then what you thought you wanted just went out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships