Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of a few years back when I interviewed a woman for a therapist position. She kept mentioning during the interview that she's Jewish. It was weird, because it wasn't even relevant to the questions I was asking. I started making marks on my pad every time she mentioned being Jewish (not just alluding to it, but saying it) and I think it was close to 20-25 times. And the interview was under an hour.

At first I was thinking that she was trying to set me up for a lawsuit (if I didn't hire her, she could say it was because of her religion). But it was strange because this was Northeast Philly, where half the population, and probably half my staff, were Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:34 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Reminds me of a few years back when I interviewed a woman for a therapist position. She kept mentioning during the interview that she's Jewish. It was weird, because it wasn't even relevant to the questions I was asking. I started making marks on my pad every time she mentioned being Jewish (not just alluding to it, but saying it) and I think it was close to 20-25 times. And the interview was under an hour.

At first I was thinking that she was trying to set me up for a lawsuit (if I didn't hire her, she could say it was because of her religion). But it was strange because this was Northeast Philly, where half the population, and probably half my staff, were Jewish.
It sounds like she really wanted the job, and was making her sales pitch.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Perhaps, he was mesmerized by your beautiful, blue eye......

Old 05-16-2014, 09:47 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

Maybe as a way of indicating that she would be comfortable there and would have points of commonality with clients or an understanding of their culture. If you had a lot of Jewish clients, particularly if they were more of the conservative or Orthodox leaning, she might have played this up as a possible selling point. Some solutions or approaches might not work in a conservative or orthodox household that might go over just fine in a Gentile or less traditional Jewish household.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:50 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Maybe as a way of indicating that she would be comfortable there and would have points of commonality with clients or an understanding of their culture. If you had a lot of Jewish clients, particularly if they were more of the conservative or Orthodox leaning, she might have played this up as a possible selling point. Some solutions or approaches might not work in a conservative or orthodox household that might go over just fine in a Gentile or less traditional Jewish household.
Right. But she really overdid it. She didn't need to hit the interviewer over the head with it 25 times. That only conveys nervousness/anxiety, or some other problem. Like in the case the OP presented. It doesn't make a good impression. It's counterproductive.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:50 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
No, this was a place where half our staff were Jewish, but a minority of our clients were. Being Jewish would not hurt a person's chances of being hired, but it also would not make the person more likely to be hired. It's a neutral. However, talking constantly in a professional setting about your personal life (like your religion) is a red flag in a mental health setting. Not sure what field the OP is in, but if I had a candidate for a therapist position who couldn't stop talking about his lovely wife, that might also be a red flag.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
That's what I was thinking. Married people supposedly get ahead faster than single people. The OP said he was a "younger man", so maybe he thought mentioning his wife would make him seem more responsible or likeable.
Or adult/mature/responsible...something youthful-looking people sometimes have a hard time conveying.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:02 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Why is this in the relationship forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships