Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:23 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,152,376 times

Advertisements

Why not just get her pregnant and then get married?

To be quite truthful, I'm not quite sure you are ready for marriage. You take vows to be together in sickness and in health. People on here will tell you marriage is strictly for children, but I disagree with that. I think you can raise children in a healthy environment without marriage (I know actually quite a few people who raised their children to adulthood unmarried!), yet it is uncommon. Double edged sword. Marry because you love the woman, not because she is going to give you kids. That's a recipe for a divorce.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,001,096 times
So, um, if something happens to you or her after you get married that rendered either one of you infertile, will you get a divorce?

If her fertility test prior to marriage is normal yet you two can't manage to conceive after marriage (due to myriads of factors that can affect conception), will you consider it a breach of contract and leave her?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:38 AM

2,400 posts, read 3,626,893 times
What makes you think she's infertile?

I think you both should have the discussion about passion for having children. You'll find out then whether she wants any and how ready she is concerning any possible current use of birth control. I wouldn't ask her to take a test, but having biological children is important to you so I think it's more tactful to also ensure that the same thing is important to her by talking about it and start making babies, especially because you want to marry her anyway. If you don't already know whether she wants the same thing, maybe you should delay getting married to her.

But I wouldn't bug her about fertility if there's no reason to believe she can't conceive.

Last edited by Yiuppy; 05-17-2014 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 10:40 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,891,378 times
I still want to know what OP thinks the magical fertility test would be for a seemingly healthy woman with no known medical issues.

If someone else here has more knowledge...I wish they would post.

Blood tests, in my experience might point to something slightly out of range...but no guarantees. If I recall these were pricy.

Doing something like a hysterosalpingogram to detect possible structural issues like areas that are blocked within the reproductive tract would be very expensive. I can't see any doctor that would order something like this just for the heck of it....and if there was no reason to order it, it would be doubtful insurance could cover it.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 AM

288 posts, read 254,639 times
If that was your deciding factor for getting married, I would actually do what ever " fertility " test, when you proposed I would say a very big No. I'm not a broodmare, and if your basing your decision solely on that, I don't want to be married to you anyway.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
I wouldn't marry someone to whom my ability to bear biological children was a dealbreaker.

Both my husband and I want to be parents. When we were dating, and first started to talk about a future, I let him know that I have a congenital uterine issue that may cause complications in carrying a fetus to term. I don't know yet if that will be an issue, since I've never been pregnant, but research has shown there's a 50-50 chance. We are also slightly above the ideal age range for starting a family (upper thirties/lower forties), so there's that potential complication, as well. His take, like mine, was, "Well, we'll try, and if it doesn't happen, we'll foster and/or adopt." Had he said, "Sorry, I'm only interested in biological children, fostering/adoption isn't a consideration for me," we'd not have gotten married.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 AM

48,272 posts, read 34,402,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I still want to know what OP thinks the magical fertility test would be for a seemingly healthy woman with no known medical issues.

If someone else here has more knowledge...I wish they would post.

Blood tests, in my experience might point to something slightly out of range...but no guarantees. If I recall these were pricy.

Doing something like a hysterosalpingogram to detect possible structural issues like areas that are blocked within the reproductive tract would be very expensive. I can't see any doctor that would order something like this just for the heck of it....and if there was no reason to order it, it would be doubtful insurance could cover it.
I don't think there is anything. Blood work would determine if hormone levels were within normal range, but there could be problems associated with ovaries or uterus.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think there is anything. Blood work would determine if hormone levels were within normal range, but there could be problems associated with ovaries or uterus.
Yep. The issues that may contribute to my potential inability to sustain a pregnancy don't have anything to do with fertility, they have to do with the physical structure of my uterus.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 AM

2,400 posts, read 3,626,893 times
I think the OP is just being honest. Having biological children is important to many people, and many women are having fertility problems. He just wants to know whether he can have children with the woman he loves. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, considering some people don't find out until after years of marriage and trying and then feel a deal breaker and get divorced.

Although, I wouldn't take a test unless I wasn't getting pregnant after trying for a long time.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:54 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,927,996 times
SMH.. A fertility test? I can see a cooking test. Are you also considering a prenuptial? Once a child is born do you plan to do a DNA test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships