Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:12 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times

Advertisements

I'm a gamer (well, MMORPGs anyway... and to be fair, I haven't had time to play in over a year since I quit SWTOR. Too much else going on in my life right now).

Anyway, I used to hear a few guys complain about their wives and girlfriends complaining in game. Honestly, it was mainly the guys who spent a lot of time in the game... playing for hours on end, days on end. It's like those guys lived there and never spent time on their families or relationships. I think in those cases, it might be an addiction problem. In those cases, it's like any other hobby (golf widows come to mind... google it, same thing, different type of game).

But for the most part, the guys didn't complain much about wives and girlfriends and it seemed that most people do what adults do and reached a compromise/had balanced lives. A few hours a night a few nights a week, no biggie. It's no different than a guy retiring to a man cave or working on a car... or knitting (hey, some guys knit ). Some husband and wives played together! It seems to me that most guys who seem to think women will be upset over gaming either 1) have an addiction or 2) are speculating based on a stereotype or even 3) don't know any "girl gamers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There is a common thought that video games are just for kids which cannot be further from the truth. Provided that the player isnt addicted, people have no business judging gamers. I play GTA V avidly but also do other things like studying for a grad degree. I pay my own bills. How I spend my free time is no one's business far as I am concerned. If you are that person who judges me for playing Xbox, dont worry about us dating.
I agree. This is 2014 and society should stop judging gamers for playing video games .

Old 05-19-2014, 12:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
No one judges people for playing games, however if someone is a grown adult and their main hobby is gaming.. it's pretty lame. Gaming is for 16 year olds, if an adult want to play every once in a while in his spare time, that's great.. who cares?

I think it's just that most women don't want to date a guy who they can't relate to. Most normal adults do not play video games all the time. I'd be bored as hell if a girl I dated talked all the time about video games.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:56 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No one judges people for playing games, however if someone is a grown adult and their main hobby is gaming.. it's pretty lame. Gaming is for 16 year olds, if an adult want to play every once in a while in his spare time, that's great.. who cares?

I think it's just that most women don't want to date a guy who they can't relate to. Most normal adults do not play video games all the time. I'd be bored as hell if a girl I dated talked all the time about video games.
I'm almost 25 and I still play video games. You or anyone else think I'm lame, I do not care. What I do in my personal time is nobody's business.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:57 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
It seems to me that most guys who seem to think women will be upset over gaming either 1) have an addiction or 2) are speculating based on a stereotype or even 3) don't know any "girl gamers."
There's certainly plenty of relationships out there where both partners play. And if both people enjoy their time spent that way, why not?

Problems arise when there's a major difference in game-participation levels between partners. One person might feel neglected if the other's time is dominated by life in some virtual world.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:02 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,086 times
I don't care for video games anymore but I don't know why you'd date a gamer if the gaming is going to be a problem later. Of course, there's the possibility of someone becoming completely obsessed as mentioned earlier.

The main issue is that people get comfortable in relationships and don't put in as much effort. Two hours of gaming a night plus doing something together turns into six hours of gaming and little interaction, for example.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:19 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,111 times
Funny a lot folks bash video game playing yet they can sit in front of a TV and/or computer posting on forums for hours, Lol

Old 05-19-2014, 01:35 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,449,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
Funny a lot folks bash video game playing yet they can sit in front of a TV and/or computer posting on forums for hours, Lol
I wouldn't quite put the same level of involvement on posting in a forum or casually watching a program as I would a game. Most games required a dedicated attention to succeed in. This is also why some "don't notice" it's affects on their lives. They are too involved and focused on the activity to see the affects it has on other things outside of them.

How many time have people sat around playing a game thinking it's been an hour when two or three have actually passed?

If you are spending 5 hours a day doing nothing but dedicated gaming after a 9 to 5 the math tells it's own story

Again it's not the act of, it's how much importance and time you place in them that determines there benefit or detriment.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
I wouldn't quite put the same level of involvement on posting in a forum or casually watching a program as I would a game. Most games required a dedicated attention to succeed in. This is also why some "don't notice" it's affects on their lives. They are too involved and focused on the activity to see the affects it has on other things outside of them.

How many time have people sat around playing a game thinking it's been an hour when two or three have actually passed?

If you are spending 5 hours a day doing nothing but dedicated gaming after a 9 to 5 the math tells it's own story

Again it's not the act of, it's how much importance and time you place in them that determines there benefit or detriment.
Yeah, a buddy of mine spends his entire life gaming. Over the years it has even become a little difficult to interact with him because he's literally always talking about his game. Just about the only thing he does is play games, from the time he wakes up he's on the computer ready to either play, or talk on skype about video games or watch games of other competitive gamers.

This is what happens when adults get too obsessed with gaming.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post

Of course you wouldn't put it on the same level, because you don't play video games, lol

Detriment? Hahaha OK

I don't play video games but I'm in no position to judge anyone who does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships