Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

My parents were pretty exemplary parents, with a marriage ethic I really admire. They're affectionate and close, and genuinely like one another as people and have one another's backs. They've stuck together through tough times, including long-term illnesses and death of parents, and lean financial times while running a small business together. They've been married over 40 years. They've inspired me to hold relationships to a high standard.

I don't agree with everything in their marriage (I think my mom can be a grudge-holder, and my dad can be inconsiderate, and I try to be conscious of these behaviors cropping up in my own marriage), but overall, they have had a positive effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:53 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
My parents and family life were "far normal" (according to a friend of mine). I always liked that description. Both my parents worked, loved each other, stuck together, etc. My brother and I were both good kids, got good grades, etc, etc... seriously, it was like growing up in the Huxtable, Winslow, or the Cleaver House. My dad died of an aggressive cancer a few years back and I was very close to him. Although it took a bigger toll on my mom of course.

I find that I am attracted to men who are like the men in my family... similar values, humor, and interests. I used to worry that was creepy, but then I've come to learn that girls who grow up with good relationships with their fathers tend to do that when they look for love later on. It's a good blueprint on them. Kind of interesting, my ex-husband was nothing like the men in my family and never really fit in. Maybe that should have been a sign?
Ditto!

Finding somebody as genuine and down to earth as my dad (and my mom, for that matter) and who fits in with my family and shares their values and grew up with similar, as I did in my husband, has been the best thing ever. This wasn't the case with my ex, and that should have been a far bigger red flag to me than it was. Live and learn.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 AM

61 posts, read 64,470 times
Just reminding folks that everyone has a choice and your choices will dictate the rest of your life. One day you might meet a great guy/girl and your insecurities, self doubts can come in the way of things..BUT it's up to you to make a choice. You can either wallow in self-pity because your parents had a miserable marriage or choose to have a future and take a chance. I feel like my bf (who is an awesomely great guy) is already resigned to his insecurities and self-doubts due to his mom/dad and marriage scares him. That great girl/guy may only come once and if you let them go, you're to blame for it in the end.

Really contemplating a break up right now. Why must parents be so "evil" and wreck their kids' happiness and why can't kids just snap out of this stupidity? Such is life...

Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Same here. Except I'm not trying to protect myself. I just don't believe in marriage.
Well divorce scares me. I don't want to go through that and I have seen how it leaves men broke. Because of that marriage is not a thing I want....ever.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Marriage isn't for everyone. I plan on living a great life. I just don't want marriage or children. I have to protect myself..
Agree not all folks are up the the challenge of marriage and that it is not for everyone.

As far as needing to "protect" yourself, well, in time you could feel differently about the things that really need protection in your life

Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmydeals View Post
Just reminding folks that everyone has a choice and your choices will dictate the rest of your life. One day you might meet a great guy/girl and your insecurities, self doubts can come in the way of things..BUT it's up to you to make a choice. You can either wallow in self-pity because your parents had a miserable marriage or choose to have a future and take a chance. I feel like my bf (who is an awesomely great guy) is already resigned to his insecurities and self-doubts due to his mom/dad and marriage scares him. That great girl/guy may only come once and if you let them go, you're to blame for it in the end.

Really contemplating a break up right now. Why must parents be so "evil" and wreck their kids' happiness and why can't kids just snap out of this stupidity? Such is life...
It's not stupidity. It can scar a kid for life. Trust me, I know.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:00 PM

61 posts, read 64,470 times
Quote:
Trust me, I know too. My parents are so far removed form perfect parents, it's not even funny. Their marriage was arranged and there was absolutely no love (not even in the beginning) it seems. To me, it seems that they had many kids to take care of them in the end. Another strike.

Regardless, marriage is not for everyone. Agreed with that. You just need to find someone who is down with your choices. If you find someone who is cool with no commitments, then that's great. Win win for everyone.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmydeals View Post
Trust me, I know too. My parents are so far removed form perfect parents, it's not even funny. Their marriage was arranged and there was absolutely no love (not even in the beginning) it seems. To me, it seems that they had many kids to take care of them in the end. Another strike.

Regardless, marriage is not for everyone. Agreed with that. You just need to find someone who is down with your choices. If you find someone who is cool with no commitments, then that's great. Win win for everyone.
I agree. Maybe I will find her someday.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
And one day that kid has to grow up and realise they are not their parents and that they can change everything about their life and how they choose to have a relationship. Adults take responsibility for their actions and stop blaming their parents for everything wrong in their life.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
And one day that kid has to grow up and realise they are not their parents and that they can change everything about their life and how they choose to have a relationship. Adults take responsibility for their actions and stop blaming their parents for everything wrong in their life.
I won't go through what my aunt went through. You haven't gone through what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships