Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM

718 posts, read 598,855 times

Advertisements

My parents were married for close to 17 years. I was just entering my teen years when my father passed away unexpectedly. My experience growing up and seeing how they interacted is limited but I do recall that their relationship was not the best. He didn't treat her with much respect and the "woman" had her place in the house though he also expected her to work outside of the home too. He was overly sexual and she was clueless about sex and I mean clueless. They both grew up outside the U.S. and heritage played a huge role in how things panned out. I will add, my mother had 3 men to choose from to marry and picked my dad. The rest is history.

I think about my past relationships and of course hindsight is 20/20. I dealt with unhealthy relationships more often then I would like to admit as a teen and into my early 20's. Then as I got into my mid 20's and past, the good ones I found reason to leave, including my marriage. Fear of abandonment was a big factor that I can see now. I've been to therapy so I am much more aware of how I dealt with relationships in the past. On my Ex's behalf, his parents were married for 30+ years and had alcoholic tendencies and argued in the "normal" sense of what I have seen in relationships. Though that did cause my EX to avoid arguments at all costs which didn't work either and yes, he drank more then I care for. Those functional alcoholics are a hard bunch to handle.

I look at my current b/f and see how this affects him. His parents just celebrated 50 years of marriage. It is amazing that they are still married and neither is in jail or dead. They fight light cats and dogs and I am told what I have seen is nothing compared to what my b/f lived through growing up. He is not the marrying type of guy, doesn't think of it, never has, never will, ain't going to happen. I wonder if it's his upbringing that has caused him to think the way he has? He isn't changing his mind and I am not trying to change it. Just making an observation and I spend very little time with his family. Who needs that kind of drama? Not me.

One of my best friends is the youngest of ten kids. His parents were married for 65+ years and have since both passed. They had a typical old fashioned marriage, woman raised the kids, man worked and they were pretty close knit family with a faith based home. Out of the 10 kids, three divorced and not by their choosing, one never married (I think she is a lesbian but because of the religious beliefs, won't "come out") and the others are all in marriages that are happy and fulfilling.

Has your parents relationship hurt, helped, hindered your relationships? Are we predisposed to attract what is ingrained in our brains from childhood regardless of therapy, life experiences and so forth?

p.s. I will say that I do believe all families have some level of dysfunction to them, the extent is what causes the most damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:00 AM

589 posts, read 638,872 times
My case is a bit different. My parents didn't have a bad marriage, but they've scarred me through their actions. The biggest action being their treatment of my gay brother, who committed suicide in the summer of 2009. I haven't spoken to them since July 2009, nor have my grandparents. I actually felt like my relationships were more fulfilling prior to my brother's death.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
My parents relationship and divorce made me never want to get married.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
My case is a bit different. My parents didn't have a bad marriage, but they've scarred me through their actions. The biggest action being their treatment of my gay brother, who committed suicide in the summer of 2009. I haven't spoken to them since July 2009, nor have my grandparents. I actually felt like my relationships were more fulfilling prior to my brother's death.
J.P. that's so sad and my sympathies to you on the loss of your brother. Actions are words in motion and do damage.

It's a shame some people cannot accept others for who they are.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My parents relationship and divorce made me never want to get married.
From some of your replies on threads here, it's no surprise you aren't for marriage. It's also a shame that your parent's relationship influences how you live your life today.

Last edited by photogal9; 05-20-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-20-2014, 10:27 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,599 times
My parents were very argumentative.

Any little thing could set them off, and once an argument started it could go on for a very long time.

I've tried very hard to not be the same way in my marriage.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:30 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
My parents are good--or normal. But my father is a drunk, and that makes me not want to date men that drink, unless it's a social event, and even then, I will have low tolerance the 1st time he gets drunk. Drinking =/= drunk after all.

Otherwise, everything else, I just assume is the nature of their relationship. They aren't very lovey dovey, I don't think they have sex often, and possibly anymore for that matter, they don't celebrate an anniversary, go out on dates. They say they love, and it shows when serious things come up. But overall, they aren't love-birds.

I don't want the kind of relationship they have, as I do want more affection. BUT, everyone is different, and different people make for different relationships. So, their relationship hasn't soured me on relationships or marriage.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Probably, just not in anyway I am consciously aware.
Nothing very immediate strikes me anyways.

Both my parents are pretty awesome people, I don't really have any drastic issues stemming from them that would make me divert my life in a different direction.

I'm even a *gasp* child of divorce.

It wasn't bitter, it wasn't heated they just grew apart and dealt with life as it came.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
My parents were very argumentative.

Any little thing could set them off, and once an argument started it could go on for a very long time.

I've tried very hard to not be the same way in my marriage.
Larkspur-

That's commendable. You saw the issue, you've made a mental note and work on not continuing that behavior.

You also didn't allow their marriage to stop you from entering into one.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
My parents are good--or normal. But my father is a drunk, and that makes me not want to date men that drink, unless it's a social event, and even then, I will have low tolerance the 1st time he gets drunk. Drinking =/= drunk after all.

Otherwise, everything else, I just assume is the nature of their relationship. They aren't very lovey dovey, I don't think they have sex often, and possibly anymore for that matter, they don't celebrate an anniversary, go out on dates. They say they love, and it shows when serious things come up. But overall, they aren't love-birds.

I don't want the kind of relationship they have, as I do want more affection. BUT, everyone is different, and different people make for different relationships. So, their relationship hasn't soured me on relationships or marriage.
VC- I totally get it on the drinking thing. Totally! It's awful. Good to read that the rest of their relationship hasn't soured you and what you want out of a relationship for yourself. That's the point of this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships