Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:47 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

The OP needs to get honest with herself and do some soul searching and realize that maybe this dude isn't right for her, he sounds like a consolation prize and happens to fit her time line driven agenda and a to do box to check off

Do both of you guys a favor and give it a think.......

All I know is that if Mrs. Chow expressed the same sentiment and lack of reciprocal feelings that the OP has, I'd be heartbroken.............. just sayin.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 PM

35 posts, read 71,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The OP needs to get honest with herself and do some soul searching and realize that maybe this dude isn't right for her, he sounds like a consolation prize and happens to fit her time line driven agenda and a to do box to check off

Do both of you guys a favor and give it a think.......

All I know is that if Mrs. Chow expressed the same sentiment and lack of reciprocal feelings that the OP has, I'd be heartbroken.............. just sayin.....
"All I know is that if Mrs. Chow expressed the same sentiment and lack of reciprocal feelings that the OP has, I'd be heartbroken....." Thank you for sharing.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:10 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyhome85 View Post
Thank you for sharing that.
Sure, I wish you the best!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:21 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
You seem really uptight and scheduled. Did you share this schedule with him?

My cousin told me a couple weeks after he met his now-wife that he had met "the one." Now, I don't believe in that, but I think he met a woman who is right for him. They were together for at least 4 years before they married, possibly even 5 or 6 - I can't remember. But he ALWAYS knew he would marry her. And they still took that long.

If I were you, I'd be more keyed up about the fact that he thinks the two of you could break up at the flip of a coin. That's telling me he sees some problems, and you'd better work on that before you start demanding marriage.

You seem really ticked that he's not following your plan. Well, maybe you should find out a little more about what HIS plan is.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Man, the more you write, the more this sounds like a business deal or political negotiation.

Let him go.
Exactly.

She is no where CLOSE to being ready for marriage.

Boyfriend is a wise man.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
At this stage in your relationship based on my experience you should be "head over heals in love with this guy"...and yet it doesn't come across that way...I would move out to better gain some perspective on your situation...you don't have to break-up you just need time and space to re-evaluate your priorities...just think if your boyfriend is willing to let you go...he's not as much in love with you as you thought...which may be a very eye opening revelation...

Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I am hoping to get outside perspective on my situation.

I am a 28 year old female who is attractive, financially healthy, educated, loving, fun and kind.
I met my boyfriend 2 1/2 years ago while I was still in University. I didn't feel a spark at first but he was VERY attracted to me, was a good match (friends spoke highly of him, comes from a good family, has a great career, good with kids, etc...) and actively pursued me so I decided to give him a chance. I was very clear at the beginning that I didn't want to date for the sake of dating and I was looking for my future husband. I also expressed that I don't want to be a long term girlfriend because I have never found that attractive or desirable (I understand that it is what many people want and that's great, it's just not me.). Anyways, he understood and continued to pursue me.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years and we have progressed very well. We now live together (first time for both of us), have lots of good times and it's a comfy situation. However, I recently found out that he has NO PLANS to propose to me this year. Nothing. From a man who plans EVERYTHING and says he WANTS to marry me, this was very confusing. I brought it up and we got into a HUGE fight about it in which I almost moved out. His reason for postponing is that he wants the relationship to "stabilize", saying "A couple that's ready for marriage isn't one that will break up at the flip of a coin." However, I don't understand what else I can do but move out. I am very unhappy as a live in girlfriend (ESPECIALLY knowing he has no plans to propose this year). I don't think that I am rushing it because 3 1/2 years is a long time to date for me and I know that will be the MINIMUM.

I feel betrayed, confused and especially ... ANGRY. I keep trying to be fine with the situation and give him the time he needs but I feel angry ALL THE TIME. I only get married (hopefully) once and I don't want it to be after 4+ years of dating. I just don't and I couldn't have expressed my desire anymore clear from the beginning. So what is going on? How did this happen? If he didn't agree he should have said something! I don't want to throw away 2 1/2 years of what we've built but it is being eroded by my anger.
When you moved in... You messed up.

Had you said you will move in AFTER you're married, it may have worked out differently.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
It's social pressure. I wouldn't care if I lived in a vacuum, but I don't. There is social devaluation and disrespect that occurs because we've been dating 2 1/2 years and are not married. My parents are not happy and I've had to cut off an entire group of friends to date him this long. Which I was fine doing because I wanted to give him time but I don't think he is mutually reciprocating my sacrifices.
Then your parents and former friends are very shallow people. The best thing you can do for this guy is pack your stuff and walk out the door. He will thank you later and you can go find some guy who is desperate to get married.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 PM

89 posts, read 140,235 times
You sound like on domineering woman. If you are gunning hard for that ring you best be cooking for him and jumping on him every night. I wish you the best of luck in your husband hunt lots of woman do it as much as they don't like to admit it.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:24 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Most of these advices have come down pretty hard on the OP and I think they are unwarranted. Not everyone can find that one magical person to fall head over heels for and a lot of people do stay in relationships rationally instead of emotionally. It doesn't sound like the OP has mistreated her boyfriend during all this time. That being said, I do agree marrying this guy isn't going to work out on the long term so it's best to cut your losses and move on. Two and half years isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things. Marrying the wrong guy for a lifetime is a big mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships