Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:23 AM

639 posts, read 678,618 times

Advertisements

Hmm Yeah its really nice movie. I am just kidding..

Well yeah I believe in love at first site and love can happen again and again but true love can happen only one time and for me that's the one..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
I do believe in "the one", but I don't believe they're the same one most people settle down with. Romantic love is not a myth, it just doesn't bode well with the monotony & stress of frumpy domesticity & child rearing. That's my opinion; agree to disagree.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:31 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
"There can be only one!"

Okay, Highlander jokes aside, I don't believe in "the one" I think there is usually a combination of personality type and such that is a great match for someone and there can be hundreds (or even thousands) of people with that match. I also think there is something to be said about what Chow said earlier about loving the one you are with because while I believe there are several thousands of matches out there for any one person, I also think none of those matches are or could ever be "perfect." We are all just human after all. So when you find that good match, you have to work at the relationship, all the time in order to have that "he or she is the one" feeling.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:34 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
I do not.

Any kind of a match is very difficult. If we have things in common, see things the same (or close), and get along that is good enough for me as long as I sense it will be long term.

Not into short term relationships or ONS.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
"The one" as in a "twin soul/flame"? Yes. However, one can have multiple soul mates throughout their lifetime, and they're not always romantic partners.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
"There can be only one!"

Okay, Highlander jokes aside, I don't believe in "the one" I think there is usually a combination of personality type and such that is a great match for someone and there can be hundreds (or even thousands) of people with that match. I also think there is something to be said about what Chow said earlier about loving the one you are with because while I believe there are several thousands of matches out there for any one person, I also think none of those matches are or could ever be "perfect." We are all just human after all. So when you find that good match, you have to work at the relationship, all the time in order to have that "he or she is the one" feeling.

This.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:22 AM

87 posts, read 107,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I do not.

Any kind of a match is very difficult. If we have things in common, see things the same (or close), and get along that is good enough for me as long as I sense it will be long term.

Not into short term relationships or ONS.

This. "The One" is a myth, a productive of romantic love, which is short-lived. Once limerance wears off you see the person for who they truly are, warts and all. Hint: they're not perfect, nor perfect for you. They can be compatible, you can get along and you may be able to build a life with this person and be happy and content most days out of the week, also, it is possible to find a faithful and devoted partner, but they are not "the one."

This is as good as it gets, folks. Take after the people in the East who understand this stuff.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:43 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
It might have been said already, but I think that 'the one' gets to be that because of the time and effort you put into the relationship. Looking for mystical clues that it's meant to be, or thinking it needs to feel a certain way or function according to fate in order to be 'true' is only going to frustrate you.

But there definitely has to be sex and likemindedness before it can work.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
It might have been said already, but I think that 'the one' gets to be that because of the time and effort you put into the relationship. Looking for mystical clues that it's meant to be, or thinking it needs to feel a certain way or function according to fate in order to be 'true' is only going to frustrate you.

But there definitely has to be sex and likemindedness before it can work.
the thing is though, there has to be some chemistry there in the first place, or trying to develop a long term romantic relationship is not going to happen.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 AM

147 posts, read 215,519 times
I believe in "the one" that is suited for a person. I knew from the first few times I spent time with my husband that I had strong feelings for him and I was only 15 when I met him. We saw each other briefly for a couple of weeks when I was 15 and then he went away for a bit. He and I found each other again after some years had gone by and dated again. Again we broke up and went our own ways. Once more we met up a few years later and this time we have stayed together. Next month we have been married for 8 years, together as a couple for almost 10 years and have known each other for 17. I knew I loved him all those years ago and we kept coming back to each other until we were "the one" at that right point in time for us both. WE both had some growing and learning to do and I firmly believe that this is what makes us strong and truly in love with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships