Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 AM

336 posts, read 589,820 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I talk to friends who meet someone new that they would date, they tell me stuff like "I don't want to seem clingy or needy" but when it comes to hearing what other people think of them, they're like "I don't care what they think" and "I don't care what people are saying about me."

When they meet new people for the first time, they say stuff like "I didn't want to be rude" or "I didn't want to say anything weird" but they tell their friends "man, I don't give a crap what those people think!"

Don't we still care at least a little?

Everyone's always saying stuff like "don't care so much about what other people think."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
It's something I tell myself to make myself feel better, but I care very much about my image.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:03 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Humans are social creatures - what others think of us in situations ranging from business to our personal lives is important. Getting people to like you can lead to success in various stages of our lives. However, caring too much what others think can lead to negative consequences as well, especially in dating.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
However, caring too much what others think can lead to negative consequences as well, especially in dating.
That's very true in my case.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:25 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
Sometimes I talk to friends who meet someone new that they would date, they tell me stuff like "I don't want to seem clingy or needy" but when it comes to hearing what other people think of them, they're like "I don't care what they think" and "I don't care what people are saying about me."

When they meet new people for the first time, they say stuff like "I didn't want to be rude" or "I didn't want to say anything weird" but they tell their friends "man, I don't give a crap what those people think!"

Everyone's always saying stuff like "don't care so much about what other people think."
In most cases, yes.

Statements like, "I don't care what other people think of me" should be taken as assertions of independence, not as the literal truth.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:04 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post

I care to a certain extent, but not enough to change who I am or what I do.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:23 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times
The issue with some people isn't that they care about what others think. It's normal to be at least a little bit conscious about how you're perceived. There are situations where making the right impression (whatever "right" may be) is important. Aloofness can rub many people the wrong way.

The issue is that those people care too much about their image - how others potentially view them...that it affects their beliefs, values and how they live their day-to-day lives. In other words, they're insecure. It can manifest itself in the form of fear (e.g. don't want to do <insert fun activity here> because they think people will point and laugh...even though in reality most will be indifferent or at most mildly curious) or in a snobbish manner. For people in positions of high authority, those that care too much are often considered to be empty suits.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
It's one thing to not care what people think about you and another thing to just be an idiot.

I thought that would be a little obvious.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:19 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
It depends on who the other people are, and whether I admire them or respect their opinion. I care about what some people think about me, but not some others.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:21 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,969 times
There are times where I tend to be a little overly concerned about the opinions of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships