Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 8,503 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm an American and I married a white woman from South Africa. I'm back in the states but I did live and work for a time on SA.

My soon to be ex-wife turned nasty almost overnight. Let me explain in short details:

I met her while she was visiting Texas back in early 2009. We hit it off and next thing, she visited me one more time and I visited South Africa twice last year before making the final move (sold the house, quit an excellent job, etc) to be with her. Americans get 90 days free visas in SA so it made sense at the time for me to make the move. We were madly in love with each other.

We got married this year in January and were in the process of getting her a green card.

However, several things has changed with her. Let me list them (things started going sour in October):

- She started getting snappy and sarcastic even in front of friends. She says it's stress due to her being in a crappy job.
- She calls me names and when I tell her that she is damaging our relationship, she just scoffs.
- Goes absolutely ballistic if I even look in the direction of another woman

What's strange is we were so madly in love..I mean it was insane. We couldn't eat, sleep or anything without each other. She changed over a period of two months and it started when I asked her to remove her ex-boyfriends on Facebook that she has been very intimate with (before you judge me, I did the very same thing prior to moving over there. I remove my exes. Personally, I don't think one should have ex-lovers on FB)

I have paid off her debts and a court case (all in all $41,184) not counting the thousands of dollars I spent on gifts (car, house, etc) and no, we do not have a joint bank account.

The arguments escalated and she got her brother and parents involved. It was one nasty scene. Of all the good times we spent together, the bad outweigh the good.

Since coming back, I have stopped the green card process and filed for divorce which to my surprise she signed.

Let me tell you, being in another country and having to go through what I did...it was terrible. Lesson learned. I'm just sticking to American woman now.

What are your stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:41 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Sorry about that.

Love is weird. Sometimes we will never understand it fully.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
One of my favorites --

I met a man at a friend's Christmas party. He gave me a false name. I decided to surprise him at his place of employment and asked for him by that name. He wasn't there--but had a picture of me on his desk--and his coworkers provided another name.

He was divorced from another state and was doing something 'funny' about paying child support/alimony.

Just about as low as anyone I have ever known.

I went out of town and my neighbors told me they saw him doing something to my phone wires.

I called the police. Not much could be done but he understood that there would be legal consequences and finally left me alone.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,309 times
Wow tough outcome. At least you could get away from her. I think your better off staying american =).

Im lucky enough that my relationship experiences have been relatively tame.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
American women can change after marriage too lol I don't think any 1 country holds the only title to that haha

Old 12-06-2010, 02:59 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
American women can change after marriage too lol I don't think any 1 country holds the only title to that haha
Yeah, maybe it's easier to get back out of it if you're dealing with an another American though.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:01 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
There have been other threads similar to this. My story? Six weeks before my wedding to the man I THOUGHT was the man of my dreams, two police detectives showed up at my office and asked to talk with me. They showed me a composite sketch of a suspect, and it looked a little like my fiance. Long story short, he had been doing some very, very bad things and was, indeed the man the detectives were looking for. Imagine my shock and sadness. I told the cops where they could find him. He was arrested a few hours later and spent the next 20 years in prison.

To make matters worse, I had already given notice at my job that I was leaving and was training my replacement. Boss would've liked to keep me, but it wouldn't have have been fair to the new person. Had also given notice that I was leaving my apartment, and the complex had already leased it. So I lost my fiance, my job and my home in one fell swoop. The date? September 11, 1986.

Good news is, I dodged a bullet, so to speak. Would've been way worse to find out who he really was AFTER the wedding!

Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensharmoota View Post
Hi,

I'm an American and I married a white woman from South Africa. I'm back in the states but I did live and work for a time on SA.

My soon to be ex-wife turned nasty almost overnight. Let me explain in short details:

I met her while she was visiting Texas back in early 2009. We hit it off and next thing, she visited me one more time and I visited South Africa twice last year before making the final move (sold the house, quit an excellent job, etc) to be with her. Americans get 90 days free visas in SA so it made sense at the time for me to make the move. We were madly in love with each other.

We got married this year in January and were in the process of getting her a green card.

However, several things has changed with her. Let me list them (things started going sour in October):

- She started getting snappy and sarcastic even in front of friends. She says it's stress due to her being in a crappy job.
- She calls me names and when I tell her that she is damaging our relationship, she just scoffs.
- Goes absolutely ballistic if I even look in the direction of another woman

What's strange is we were so madly in love..I mean it was insane. We couldn't eat, sleep or anything without each other. She changed over a period of two months and it started when I asked her to remove her ex-boyfriends on Facebook that she has been very intimate with (before you judge me, I did the very same thing prior to moving over there. I remove my exes. Personally, I don't think one should have ex-lovers on FB)

I have paid off her debts and a court case (all in all $41,184) not counting the thousands of dollars I spent on gifts (car, house, etc) and no, we do not have a joint bank account.

The arguments escalated and she got her brother and parents involved. It was one nasty scene. Of all the good times we spent together, the bad outweigh the good.

Since coming back, I have stopped the green card process and filed for divorce which to my surprise she signed.

Let me tell you, being in another country and having to go through what I did...it was terrible. Lesson learned. I'm just sticking to American woman now.

What are your stories?
Best to date legals... imho

Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 PM

346 posts, read 968,388 times
This isn't mine, but I know of two people who this has happened to. Both guys married foreign chicks that were on the University of ####### swimming team. One girl was from Canada, the other from South Africa.

In both cases, within weeks of the foreign girl getting her citizenship, she divorced the guy and was suddenly a lesbian.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:53 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,857 times
I was dating a guy for a few months when he had to leave the country to visit his family back home. Those few months were very intense and we shared a very strong bond. He never came back. He ignored my emails and all my messages. I was worried sick thinking maybe something had happened to him but one day, weeks later, he replied as if nothing had happened, saying he was ok, and that was pretty much it. Never heard from him again .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships