Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:24 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times

Advertisements

"If you have someone that you think is the one... don't just sort of think in your ordinary mind and think, OK let's make a date, let's plan this and make a party, we'll get married. Take that person and travel around the world. Buy a plane ticket for the two of you to travel all around the world and go to places that are hard to go to and hard to get out of. And if when you come back to JFK, when you land in JFK, and you're still in love with that person, get married at the airport." - Bill Murray.

I came across this article and a lot of it makes sense and sense for this forum....How do I meet women? Is He the One?...Is She the One?...on and on and on.

I liked the above quote because there is some truth to getting out of your element and put each other in situations that are tough and see how you each react and deal with each other and your thinking things through and out of a tricky situation.

Here's a link to the rest of the article: 8 Things Bill Murray Can Teach You About Living An Amazing Life

"I think romance basically starts with respect" - Bill Murray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
Further proof that Bill Murray is one of the coolest dudes on the planets.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:02 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times

Kingpin - Showdown - YouTube

Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Definitely an awesome article. Murray has some wisdom for sure and I wish I had been both exposed to it and receptive to it much younger.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:58 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I disagree with most of his list but I like #4 and #6.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

"If you have someone that you think is the one... don't just sort of think in your ordinary mind and think, OK let's make a date, let's plan this and make a party, we'll get married. Take that person and travel around the world. Buy a plane ticket for the two of you to travel all around the world and go to places that are hard to go to and hard to get out of. And if when you come back to JFK, when you land in JFK, and you're still in love with that person, get married at the airport." - Bill Murray.

I came across this article and a lot of it makes sense and sense for this forum....How do I meet women? Is He the One?...Is She the One?...on and on and on.

I liked the above quote because there is some truth to getting out of your element and put each other in situations that are tough and see how you each react and deal with each other and your thinking things through and out of a tricky situation.

Here's a link to the rest of the article: 8 Things Bill Murray Can Teach You About Living An Amazing Life

Travel can definitely test couples. I know of a couple of break-ups that happened after a couple travelled together to challenging destinations, and a relationship that got strained because of differing travel styles.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Travel can definitely test couples. I know of a couple of break-ups that happened after a couple travelled together to challenging destinations, and a relationship that got strained because of differing travel styles.
It was simply something specific pulled out of the air as an example as to what to really get to know about a person - it's not a love-daze, date, party and marry as he said.

Some strains on other couples are redoing a home together for others it's something else.

What I do believe he is saying, if you read between the lines and not read things so literal, is go through some tough experiences together - it doesn't mean it has to be travel.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Interesting read....

Any other advice about life and love, would've just breezed through my mind without me giving it a second thought.. These are things I already knew though. Everyone should know that. Life is just life. Live and let live. It is easier said than done, but it CAN be done.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:05 AM

104 posts, read 469,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

I understood your subtlety and agree. In fact I will personally state that until a difficulty present itself from life or of our choosing (traveled participation in an humanitarian effort) where time is sacrificed for others as well as ourselves, we cannot know each other's deeper truth as well as personality. If I am to love, it IS to that revealed deeper self of you and for you the reciprocal.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
I know nothing about Bill Murray's personal life, so I had to look it up. From Wikipedia:

"During the filming of Stripes, Murray married Margaret Kelly on Super Bowl Sunday in Las Vegas on January 25, 1981. Later, they re-married in Chicago for their families. Margaret gave birth to two sons, Homer (born 1982) and Luke (born 1985). Luke is an assistant basketball coach at the University of Rhode Island. Following Murray's affair with Jennifer Butler, the couple divorced in 1996. In 1997, he married Butler. Together, they have four sons: Caleb (born January 11, 1993), Jackson (born October 6, 1995), Cooper (born January 27, 1997), and Lincoln (born May 30, 2001). Butler filed for divorce on May 12, 2008, accusing Murray of domestic violence, infidelity, and addictions to sex, marijuana and alcohol.Their divorce was finalized on June 13, 2008."

Doesn't sound like someone I'd be taking love advice from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships