Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 02:12 PM

244 posts, read 709,156 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to get peoples' opinions and experiences on dating in your 20s, mostly your early 20s. How was dating for you? Did you get any important learning experiences from it? Did you enjoy it? Do you feel that dating in your 20s is important especially for growth socially and mentally?

In my experience I haven't dated for quite some time now, my mom and some of my friends have said that I should date casually. They say I should get some experience for when I do want to date in the near future. I do talk to girls on occasion through text or email at times or when I volunteer, in fact someone from my old high school texted me awhile back.

I definitely would like to hear peoples' opinions and experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,467,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
How was dating for you?
I definitely would like to hear peoples' opinions and experiences!
Mostly non-existent. Very similar to how it is now, actually.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,293,923 times
I was in a serious relationship for most of my 20s, and sometimes I feel like I missed out on some valuable experiences. Other times I think maybe it was good that I learned more about myself and what I wanted from a LTR through the experience I did have. I say do what makes you feel comfortable though. If you don't want to date casually, why should you? It's your life and only you know what's best for your situation.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:25 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,222,790 times
I am in my early 20s, and my dating life is non-existent. lol So, I have no hands-on experience. But I learn about relationships, what I looks for, and what to expect by observing other peoples'.

My parents relationship, plus the relationships questions on sites I go to. Seeing how the fail or work-out, what to avoid, etc. Sometimes observing can give you experience and answers, You don't always need to do it 1st hand.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,138,749 times
I think I was undateable in my 20's. I was a total failure at it till my 50's.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:33 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,455,175 times
Dating in your 20s, how was it?

nonexistent.

As to their opinion that you should date to gain experience. Eh. I was a 40 yr old virgin when I married and my husband said that's the best sex he had in a long time. So........ either, I'm just naturally awesome in bed or my husband has really been in loooooooong dry sex spell in his life! Which he did! LOL!

So don't worry about it. When you are ready, you're ready. Practice is not essential for relationship. At least not for me. All you need is common sense.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,990,532 times
I think the experience was something I've benefited from. I started off my 20s in a long term relationship, which I ended when I was 22 (he was the college party guy who seemed so great back in the dorms, but who I soon realized was pretty much still a kid and an alcoholic to boot). Then I did about a year of lots of dating. After spending most of college in a LTR, this was my time to get to know lots of guys and sift out what I liked and didn't like, and figure out what my needs and wants were regarding a relationship. Yes, I had a lot of fun, but I learned that I need committed monogamy, and that I could not "play the field."
Then I got into another LTR (well, not too long, just about 2 1/2 years) with a guy I figured fit all the criteria I had been discovering about myself. I thought he was the love of my life and that we'd get married. Then after we broke up (he dumped me, which crushed me), I got involved with a guy for about 3 months and I broke his heart. I learned that it was not good to get involved so soon after being dumped. I still feel bad about that guy, who I know really loved me. Then I avoided dating for about a year, then just started casually dating on and off for the rest of my 20s. I would go long period of time with no dating, then go on a few dates, then not dating for a while again. At 30, got into my latest LTR (now I'm in my 40s).

I think I learned a lot from the long term and short term relationships--a lot about myself, and a lot about relationships and how they work (and don't work). I also learned a lot about warning signs--warning signs of a guy's personality problems, warning signs of infidelity, warning signs that someone was being false or just putting on a good show, warning signs that I was picking the wrong guy, warning signs that I was going to stop feeling attraction for a guy some time soon so not to get too close.

By my later 20s I knew myself a lot better and I had much more confidence. Once I got to the point where I could honestly say I was happy being single, and if I found someone, that would be great, but if not, I'm still fine, THEN I was ready for the right relationship.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:39 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,847,912 times
I dated one guy my freshman year of college, didn't date my sophomore year (that I can recall), and met and dated the man who would be my husband my junior year. My senior year and a couple of years after graduation we were long distance and sort of "open" (age 20-24) and during that time I dated a couple of guys fairly regularly. And had many casual liaisons as well.

Hubby and I moved in together when we were 25 and married at 26. That was the end of my dating life for the next 20 years! I am glad I had fun when I could, and I was ready to settle down after that. No regrets.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:45 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,580,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Me too.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:49 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,830,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Ditto here (for my 20s anyway--didn't even have a single date from age 20-26). I am having better luck with men now that I am older (more dates and have dated more men). I really think that's the norm for a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think I learned a lot from the long term and short term relationships--a lot about myself, and a lot about relationships and how they work (and don't work). I also learned a lot about warning signs--warning signs of a guy's personality problems, warning signs of infidelity, warning signs that someone was being false or just putting on a good show, warning signs that I was picking the wrong guy, warning signs that I was going to stop feeling attraction for a guy some time soon so not to get too close.
And this is what I feel I missed out on. I don't have good relationship sense now--I didn't get that education then that you got (although I am getting it now). But not dating much in my 20s wasn't really a conscious choice so there wasn't much I could have really done about it. Just keep moving forward today is all I can do .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships