Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:38 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,290 times

Advertisements

I read in Mars and Venus on a Date, that its pretty common for guys to do this, the author states that it comes from the competiveness of the male 'mind'.
You know, wanting to sell himself-promote himself, and therefore eliminate competition from your selection process.
But, if a grown man hasn't figured out how to control himself and pay attention to other things such as the feelings and needs of another person, which your story seems to indicate, then I would say there is the true problem. Not that someone is not shutting up about themselves, but that they demonstrated a lack of emotional intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Oh, you mean a narcissist? One of those that has only managed to fall in love with himself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Ever been on a first date where the guy is talking and talking and talking about himself and asking NO questions about you and taking NO real interest in your life, treating you like you're there to be his therapist or sounding-board? And yet, at the end of the date, he proclaims how much he likes you and how "hot and awesome" you are? This was my date last night (who I obviously will not be seeing again).

How do you handle a guy who CANNOT SHUT UP about himself and acts like you're there to be his mother and give him accolades and praise? Is this a guy just wanting to boast and impress the girl, or is he trying to steal the spotlight FROM the girl?

Old 06-15-2014, 03:53 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Try this. Instead of saying "shut up, you.....", try "will you please stop talking about yourself and show some interest me."

Old 06-15-2014, 03:55 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
I read in Mars and Venus on a Date, that its pretty common for guys to do this, the author states that it comes from the competiveness of the male 'mind'.
You know, wanting to sell himself-promote himself, and therefore eliminate competition from your selection process.
But, if a grown man hasn't figured out how to control himself and pay attention to other things such as the feelings and needs of another person, which your story seems to indicate, then I would say there is the true problem. Not that someone is not shutting up about themselves, but that they demonstrated a lack of emotional intelligence.
I am all for a guy selling and promoting himself. I love knowing that I'm sitting across from a strong man who knows what he wants out of life. But if he can't seem to step out of his bubble to include ME in that vision, there's definitely something wrong.

Like you said, it seemed like he existed in his own little world and had no concept of the give-and-take that is required on a date! I felt like I was sitting across from someone who was still in high school, maybe even middle school. A boy. Just totally consumed in his own world, living in his head.

He actually did mention that he had a domineering mother and a passive, quiet father growing up. Maybe he never got to "step into" his masculinity. Either way, not for me.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:27 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,290 times
Yes, sounds like you've done yourself a favor by not taking part in this future dysfunctional relationship.
When I read this book, Mars and Venus on a date, I thought that this would have been an excellent time for a passive aggressive guy to find out what kind of woman he is dealing with?
The outspoken won't take crap from anyone type? Or the softie who is mothering?
Either way - I wouldn't want to be put into any 'category' by someone just getting to know me...its books like this that make me believe the whole thing is a horrible joke that only the crazies play. And then there are maybe one or two gems in the whole world. The rest...be afraid, be very afraid.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:56 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Ever been on a first date where the guy is talking and talking and talking about himself and asking NO questions about you and taking NO real interest in your life, treating you like you're there to be his therapist or sounding-board? And yet, at the end of the date, he proclaims how much he likes you and how "hot and awesome" you are? This was my date last night (who I obviously will not be seeing again).

How do you handle a guy who CANNOT SHUT UP about himself and acts like you're there to be his mother and give him accolades and praise? Is this a guy just wanting to boast and impress the girl, or is he trying to steal the spotlight FROM the girl?

One key phrase, delivered flippantly: "But enough about you." Follow this up with, "I [did whatever]..." huge emphasis on "I."

And make sure the idjut pays the tab. That's his punishment for being a self-absorbed douchecanoe.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:03 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:

Some guys who talk a lot think I'm so nice and sweet and assume that I want to be their therapist and help them with their life problems (even their woman problems!). They are wrong, I am not that nice. Plus, I don't like dudes who talk a lot anyway.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Some guys who talk a lot think I'm so nice and sweet and assume that I want to be their therapist and help them with their life problems (even their woman problems!). They are wrong, I am not that nice. Plus, I don't like dudes who talk a lot anyway.
I'm not that nice either. I used to be. But the over-compassionate niceness has since exited the building!

Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
I'm not that nice either. I used to be. But the over-compassionate niceness has since exited the building!
I should probably add that I would help my boyfriend or husband, but if you're not my guy, I really don't feel like being used like that.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:48 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,036 times
Quote:

It's a possibility that he thought he needed to keep you entertained and keep the conversation going. Moments of silence can be the death knell for guys.

Some women like the guy to take charge and impress them with what they have accomplished and done, show their wares.

Especially if you are the attractive type who easily gets dates, from what I remember, I think you are.

There's a lot of these types of 'catch 22's for guys in dating. If you do, you lose. If you don't you lose.

So, you just pick one and deal with the consequences. Obviously, this guy lost out. If he sticks with the same strategy, maybe he'll get the next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships