Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:34 PM

16 posts, read 15,034 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time! Seems opinions on this one are splits down the middle. If anything there's a slight bias against males giving the card when his intentions are to pursue a relationship (of any sort).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,554,586 times
The thing I've seen being done, especially amongst 20-somethings where there is mutual interest in a date, is that they'll trade smartphones to enter each others contact info.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Why so so many first posts from socially awkward guys start with "I am 24 years old"?
Dunning–Kruger effect? I don't know and have no real answer. Maybe you should post a perfect, non socially awkward post within a Psychology and Mental health forum to find out?

Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 PM

11,380 posts, read 24,388,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyesoftheraven View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time! Seems opinions on this one are splits down the middle. If anything there's a slight bias against males giving the card when his intentions are to pursue a relationship (of any sort).
Ideally, you need to get her number.

Otherwise, business cards are good because it shows you have a real job and legitimate connections.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:47 PM

102,132 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Why so so many first posts from socially awkward guys start with "I am 24 years old"?
uh-oh. Keep your eye out for car salesmen.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:50 PM

205 posts, read 244,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyesoftheraven View Post
I'm 24 years old. A few days ago, I met a girl at a store who I was very attracted to. While I shopped, she and I engaged in casual chatting and flirting. I was certainly nervous but not so much that'd I feel it was glaring. Within our brief time talking, I learned she had taken the same college courses at the same school as me by coincidence! ~10 minutes later while purchasing my products I said, "Let me give you my card." I thought this felt perfectly appropriate as I now work in the field we were both pursuing. She seemed happy to take my card. Walking out, I looked back to see she was still looking my way, I smiled toward her.

That same day I was at a local theater, where I noticed a girl with her friend. I had recognized her and had a hint of from where, so I approached and explained where I knew her. My nerves were at a minimum -especially outwardly. Turns out it was who I thought and she did remember me. The last time we saw each other was ~7 years ago. She seemed quite happy to hear I'm doing fairly well for myself and to be reacquainted in general. She was however on her way into the theater room, so, I offered my card. She was happy to take it. I said I was really happy to have run into her and hope to talk more soon.

I've left out a lot of details to keep things short for now, feel free to ask for specifics and I'll detail them within reason. I'm concerned that I should have been more (I guess) traditional by simply asking to exchange numbers because it's been a few days and I haven't heard from either of them. I wasn't thinking too much about should I do this or that at the time, was just going with the flow. I felt the card was more convenient and less awkward for the context of these situations, the girl and myself. Note that my card is not a strict business card. I am a freelance camera operator, video editor and writer. It has my name, number, Vimeo and email on the face. It is a nice, artistic custom designed card with photos I took and edited on it. One image for the face (a pretty sunset above a mountain's silhouette) and second for the rear (a very stylized black/white tunnel graphic).

For the girl at the store, I could show stronger interest by visiting the store in a week or so and try again in a more forward, but unobtrusive non-creepy manner. But with the girl who I knew 7 years ago, I'd feel much more regret because If I don't hear from her it would feel more like I blew my one and only chance to pursue any sort of friendship or relationship. I'd appreciate some friendly, light handed opinions. Thanks!
I wouldn't do this. I mean, don't you have a cell phone? Couldn't you have just asked for her number? It looks more like a business deal than an actual normal conversation. I would just ask for their number and forget the card bs.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Ideally, you need to get her number.

Otherwise, business cards are good because it shows you have a real job and legitimate connections.
My (is it wishful?) thinking is as follows:

• We chat and flirt for as long as the situation comfortably allows, I give card while expressing interest.
• She contacts me (thus giving me her number and expressing interest in return)
• I reciprocate and take more control by asking her out at that point.
• First date/meetup, is the point where making more particular judgments about intentions and personality is appropriate.

Ignoring someone or not based on how they made initial contact, within reason, seems so petty. We met, there was chemistry on some level so we chatted and flirted and joked. If she likes me more than not at all, she'll text, call, email - something, right? Life could be so simple.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:07 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,607,421 times
I have had women ask me for my card in the past.

You did absolutely nothing wrong.

If they are interested in you they will call.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I have had women ask me for my card in the past.

You did absolutely nothing wrong.

If they are interested in you they will call.
Seems logical, doesn't it? Thank you.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:16 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,256 posts, read 4,301,681 times
I always liked to avoid giving a card to a potential dating interest, because to me it seemed pretentious. It's like, "Look at me and the cool job I have. Aren't you impressed?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships