Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:39 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,849,307 times

Advertisements

Ever been on a first date where the guy is talking and talking and talking about himself and asking NO questions about you and taking NO real interest in your life, treating you like you're there to be his therapist or sounding-board? And yet, at the end of the date, he proclaims how much he likes you and how "hot and awesome" you are? This was my date last night (who I obviously will not be seeing again).

How do you handle a guy who CANNOT SHUT UP about himself and acts like you're there to be his mother and give him accolades and praise? Is this a guy just wanting to boast and impress the girl, or is he trying to steal the spotlight FROM the girl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,159,299 times
I'm sorry ... what did you say? I wasn't paying attention.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 AM

52,338 posts, read 52,791,864 times
You must be on the young side, cause there are lots and lots of those kinds of people out there in every setting, not just in the dating world.

I get your frustration, I do....

There are times I'd like to grab someone around their throat and squeeze til the life leaves their eyes because they won't shut the hell up.

LOl... boy... that sure came off psycho, didn't it......

Old 06-15-2014, 12:06 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,849,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You must be on the young side, cause there are lots and lots of those kinds of people out there in every setting, not just in the dating world.

I get your frustration, I do....

There are times I'd like to grab someone around their throat and squeeze til the life leaves their eyes because they won't shut the hell up.

LOl... boy... that sure came off psycho, didn't it......
Nope. Not psycho. I had the same urge last night with this guy.

He came across very immature and not self-confident (we were set up by a mutual friend so I hadn't met him before). Even though he was all about him, he didn't strike me as assertive or a go-getter at all. I literally felt like he expected me to be his mother or therapist. It disgusted me. I wanted to say to him, I am not here to pick up your slack or pat you on the head!! What are YOU bringing to this date??

He struck me as having the mentality of a little kid, thinking that you don't really have to TRY to get what you want, mommy will just come and give it to you.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:11 PM

19,740 posts, read 20,296,959 times
Verbal diarrhea is the worst!

Old 06-15-2014, 02:46 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
Self absorbed.I talk, you listen, I like you only if you agree with me.Yeeeeeep I know them well.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Nope. Not psycho. I had the same urge last night with this guy.

He came across very immature and not self-confident (we were set up by a mutual friend so I hadn't met him before). Even though he was all about him, he didn't strike me as assertive or a go-getter at all. I literally felt like he expected me to be his mother or therapist. It disgusted me. I wanted to say to him, I am not here to pick up your slack or pat you on the head!! What are YOU bringing to this date??

He struck me as having the mentality of a little kid, thinking that you don't really have to TRY to get what you want, mommy will just come and give it to you.
Well, he's in for a long long hard life, cause once you're out on your own, making your way in life, most people don't give a F about your wants and needs, especially in the workforce.... Old mom's will hold your hand and wet nurse you, but life certainly won't.....

Old 06-15-2014, 02:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
Quote:
Ever been on a first date where the guy is talking and talking and talking about himself and asking NO questions about you and taking NO real interest in your life, treating you like you're there to be his therapist or sounding-board? And yet, at the end of the date, he proclaims how much he likes you and how "hot and awesome" you are? This was my date last night (who I obviously will not be seeing again).

How do you handle a guy who CANNOT SHUT UP about himself and acts like you're there to be his mother and give him accolades and praise? Is this a guy just wanting to boast and impress the girl, or is he trying to steal the spotlight FROM the girl?

Why didn't you get up and leave? If you were that miserable there is no logical reason to stay and waste his time or yours.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:55 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,359,832 times
Quote:

Both. He's trying to compensate for something.

People who boast on and on about themselves and how great they are are often trying to compensate for something they feel is lacking.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvodene View Post
Long ago I was on one of those. The gal was prattling on how she thought being a mother would make her life complete. Being childfree, I was horrified.

I went to the waitress, pulled her aside, paid the tab to that point and split. Didn't look back, didn't return calls and the woman finally gave up.
Mod cut.

You go on a date with someone, you have dinner and when it's over politely excuse yourself and indicate somewhere before hand that you aren't interested in kids and wish her well in life blah blah blah...

These people that ditch someone in the middle of a date don't realize that by doing that and telling a public forum about it says much much more about them then it does about the verbal "diarrhea" person.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-15-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships