Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 02:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Try a different neighborhood too! I know my response rate (in terms of likes) varies based on where I am. It is pretty funny actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Exactly. If what you have to offer is especially non-physical, then you're better off pretty much anywhere but Tinder.
Totally agree. I joined it because I was curious. Let's just say I got way too many messages about blow jobs. I did go out with 2 Tinder peeps. One seemed like a stalker (which I guess means he wasn't only looking for hookups) the other was nice but looking for a hookups and I wasn't really hookup material for him. We had way too much in common! Which made for good dates, bad for hookups.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:44 PM

432 posts, read 491,686 times
I feel you, OP. I was on Tinder for six months or so, right swiped everything, and outside of the bots (which got so incessant towards the end and subsequently drove me to quit), I got nothing as well.

In the end I feel like I'm garbage to people, which makes feel like everyone out there are garbage themselves.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:54 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Honestly, it's not about your outward appearance that gets others interested. It's your attitude, how you treat people, and what type of person you are and the kind of life you live (with dignity, respect, etc.).

I had to re-read that about 8 times to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.

Anyways.

I love Tinder, but yeah, it doesn't work for everyone. And even if you got matches, that's just the first step. It can be harder to keep up communication if the other person is flaky.

OP, Might just be in your best interest to delete the app and try meetup groups, local sports leagues or young professional organizations. If you're at all good at any sport, join a league. You'll at the very least build friendships, hang out with their friends and expand your social circle and potentially find a S/O.

My roommate is dating a girl we've been playing flag football with for a over year. However, despite knowing each other for that long, she just told him a couple months ago she had been wanting to go out with him for a while and now they're dating.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:54 PM

600 posts, read 824,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Hold a wad of cash in your hand in a photo....might help if you are unattractive.

This man speaks the truth. Take note.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Totally agree. I joined it because I was curious. Let's just say I got way too many messages about blow jobs. I did go out with 2 Tinder peeps. One seemed like a stalker (which I guess means he wasn't only looking for hookups) the other was nice but looking for a hookups and I wasn't really hookup material for him. We had way too much in common! Which made for good dates, bad for hookups.
Oh really? I think I've only received one direct request for a bj so far, so I guess I shouldn't feel so bad. I've met seven Tinder guys in person so far and only one made it clear that he just wanted a hookup (he didn't get it).

Old 06-18-2014, 04:06 PM

600 posts, read 824,760 times
I've found that Tinder is pretty unproductive for a lot of men. In general, online dating is heavily skewed towards women because it's much easier for a guy to post pics online than go out and talk to women in person.

I've played around with Tinder for close to 8 months now. My experience is:

1. 95% of the women have no real intentions of meeting up. They are usually looking for attention or validation by submission of pics which is conviently on an app to the phone. Most of these women don't respond.

2. TK's (or as I call them tire kickers) will chat on the app a lot, but will likely never meet up with you unless you are a millionaire that looks like Brad Pitt. Also a waste of time. At least they put in an effort to talk, but also have no real intent of meeting up less you just won the $300 million lottery.

3. Interested (less than 1%) will be opening to meeting up. This happens maybe 1 in 100 women I match.

The most interesting was I met a female news reporter who worked in downtown Chicago when I was still living in the Midwest.

I'm a very goodlooking guy and I don't have any issue meeting women in real life. Even still on the app, I usually only get 4-5 matches a day which I hardly consider productive. I have better success in person. I cannot imagine if the guy is really unattractive.

It's fun, but I would, by no means, make this a form of primary dating lol.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:09 PM

432 posts, read 491,686 times
Quote:
I love Tinder, but yeah, it doesn't work for everyone.
I hate that platitude about things. It doesn't answer any questions... sort of an equivalent to the "God works in strange and mysterious ways" B.S.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I've found that Tinder is pretty unproductive for a lot of men. In general, online dating is heavily skewed towards women because it's much easier for a guy to post pics online than go out and talk to women in person.

I've played around with Tinder for close to 8 months now. My experience is:

1. 95% of the women have no real intentions of meeting up. They are usually looking for attention or validation by submission of pics which is conviently on an app to the phone. Most of these women don't respond.

2. TK's (or as I call them tire kickers) will chat on the app a lot, but will likely never meet up with you unless you are a millionaire that looks like Brad Pitt. Also a waste of time. At least they put in an effort to talk, but also have no real intent of meeting up less you just won the $300 million lottery.

3. Interested (less than 1%) will be opening to meeting up. This happens maybe 1 in 100 women I match.

The most interesting was I met a female news reporter who worked in downtown Chicago when I was still living in the Midwest.

I'm a very goodlooking guy and I don't have any issue meeting women in real life. Even still on the app, I usually only get 4-5 matches a day which I hardly consider productive. I have better success in person. I cannot imagine if the guy is really unattractive.

It's fun, but I would, by no means, make this a form of primary dating lol.
I would be open to meeting a lot of my matches, but they either don't ask to meet (i.e. never initiate communication at all) or they live too far away.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
I feel you, OP. I was on Tinder for six months or so, right swiped everything, and outside of the bots (which got so incessant towards the end and subsequently drove me to quit), I got nothing as well.

In the end I feel like I'm garbage to people, which makes feel like everyone out there are garbage themselves.
Based on the profile pic you posted, you look similar to Steve Perry. Journey's Steve Perry. I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news to you, but I hope you consider it a compliment. Steve Perry is awesome. Also, not sure if a compliment from a fellow guy matters and I don't blame you if it doesn't. You're not garbage. You are who you are and if others don't like it, that's on them.

PS: If you could sing like Steve Perry you'd have it made. Next time you're in the shower give it a try, my friend. See what your voice sounds like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships