Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 AM

323 posts, read 308,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
If you find it fascinating, then surely you're aware of how a lot of OTHER people view it It doesn't go over well with many people.

I can confidently say that "you might be surprised". I did a study in college on the demographics of online dating websites (in fact, you just reminded me that I promised to forward this to someone) and I made a post of the results. I was paraphrasing then, and it'll be even worse now since that post was months ago, but a significant percentage of women had mathematically ruled out like 99% of men on their criteria alone, and a small percentage (something like 2-6%?) had actually mathematically eliminated ALL MEN ON EARTH.

The "average" woman actually requires quite a bit, to be sure. I'm not saying that people aren't entitled to hold out for what they want, but a lot of people are going to be waiting for a LONG time.
I can't rep you again just yet. I really dislike that "Share the rep before giving to this person again" BS.

But that post was spot-on, and the second part really nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Is a lack of hair really a negative thing? I never thought about it much. I met and dated a lot of men who completely shaved their head or buzzed it. My first husband has been shaving his for years, and it wasn't an uncommon thing in the Marine Corps.

My current husband keeps his buzzed pretty short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I thought old might be better for me since im pretty shy and have a hard time meeting new women and striking a conversation with people i dont know so i figured it would be easier for me to break the ice online but obviously not being attractive works against me with old
You've been presented with a very valuable lesson here.

Did you learn from it, and take it to heart?

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I find it fascinating in a good way. Boring, shallow men make me want to go home.
Right, and some other women do too. But the "majority" do not, and they especially don't consider "geeky" and "boring and shallow" to be opposites, either. In fact, many women liken the two.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Is a lack of hair really a negative thing? I never thought about it much. I met and dated a lot of men who completely shaved their head or buzzed it. My first husband has been shaving his for years, and it wasn't an uncommon thing in the Marine Corps.

For the vast majority of women, YES.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Meh, I just threw it out there because it's occasionally mentioned as something categorically unattractive. My original point wasn't to agree (I like it, personally), but rather that, despite the other elements of my OLD profile, I'm pretty much an average looking dude

Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
So what? Do you need to be wanted by the planet? Hopefully not.

Quote:
Right, and some other women do too. But the "majority" do not, and they especially don't consider "geeky" and "boring and shallow" to be opposites, either. In fact, many women liken the two.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
I prefer hair. I'd have to first know the guy and fall in love with him before my eyes would see a bald or shaved guy as yummy.

Quote:

Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of not being content with it. The complaint of many men is that there are many who are ONLY content with it, to the point where they're the only deciding factors.

In my profile, I geek out HARD about some really esoteric things...enough to turn off most women. Some might argue that there are many women who are, in fact, into the same things I'm into. Others would argue that women don't care and that because I meet the aforementioned criteria, I'm "eligible". My experience points towards the latter, but I can't make a definitive argument one way or another for reasons I typed out earlier.
Hehe. You said esoteric. I would gather you're correct about your assessment.

And geeking out hard to such things, or other niche things, was what often drew me to a profile. If these things weren't present then I never developed any interest. That is what made me picky.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
So what? Do you need to be wanted by the planet? Hopefully not.
Nope. As mentioned before, I'm doing just fine. My point in that post where I mentioned it, was that, despite having qualities that are considered unattractive, there is a possibility that my success in OLD stems from meeting the "preferred formula" aspects of a profile. The implied suggestion is that people may not care at all what's in the profile as long as you meet x, y, z criteria, just as women often lament that men don't read their profiles as long as the picture is hot. I never said anything about needed to be wanted by the planet. That's an odd conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships