Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do looks matter ?
Looks matter more for men 29 46.03%
Looks matter more for women 12 19.05%
Equal for both 20 31.75%
Look do not matter at all 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think everything here would go better if each gender would answer for themselves, NOT how they think the other gender views the question.
I had an original opinion, but I like this suggestion. Instead on basing my responce off of my IRL IME, I provide the following:

Due to dealing with family and friends with various health problems, i have always prefered to try to date a woman who was healthy. This means someone who isnt big someone whos bmi isnt obese. The life style here was more important than 'the look'. In todays america, i am guessing at least 33% of people are obese. That is a large percentage of people.
However, i have wound up sometimes dating women who may not be big, but were not exactly fit or small either. I wound up falling for them as a person, their personality, moreso than their looks.
I myself am somewhere around fit to average, as if it matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
No looks dont matter. Whats inside the heart and mind matters more.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
No looks dont matter. Whats inside the heart and mind matters more.
Disney movies have their place.

Reality is much different.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I've been reading a lot of these threads and had to create this thread. What is the weighted significance of physical appearance/looks that you have experienced or do you prefer related to gender ?

I'm 29 yrs old male, and my personal experience has been:

Physical attractiveness (as an average) matters to men 80/20. So, 80% emphasis on looks, 20% related to attributes outside of physical attributes.

Physical attractiveness (as an average) matters to women 50/50. So, 50% emphasis on looks, 50% related to attributes outside of physical attributes.

Women examples:

Physical: Height. I read the 'no threads about height' so I'll just make this one point, I've noticed that women are willing to overlook a lot of men's physical flaws including hair loss, but one that they seem to not budge on is height. I have not experienced anything as significant of a deal breaker in terms of physical appearance. Women surprisingly are even willing to bend on a man being 'heavier set' even. Women don't seem to mind men getting older, grey hairs, wrinkles, etc...

Non-Physical: Employment. This is probably the #1 in non-physical, even if a man is attractive, if he is unemployed that will probably be a deal breaker for a lot of women (even if it's not his fault). Another is 'neediness' or 'clingy'. I've heard this so many times how a guy was so needy or clingy after just 1-2 dates and that was it at that point.

Men examples:

Physical attractiveness: Weight. This seems to be a big one, and is for myself included. This probably explains why a very attractive woman who has done nothing physically other than lose excess weight suddenly gets so much attention from men. Another would be face. At least for myself personally, an attractive face>nice body. These are pretty much the big 2. I don't really care about the brand of heels you are wearing, or what brand dress you are wearing even if it costs $1.00...........just how high are the heels and how tight/revealing is the dress...... I think I speak for most men here when I say this lol. Age seem to be another one along with physical attributes that come with it. That's why Demi Moore is 50 yet spending $$$$ trying to look younger.

Non-Physical: I've noticed most men will put up with a lot if the girl is really attractive even for awhile anyway. Employment and even clinginess don't seem to be an issue in the short-term. I would say for this probably constant nagging from the get-go, but judging from some of my friends, they put up with nearly anything...kinda pathetic actually lol.

So anyways, that's my observation. Men: 80/20, Women:50/50.....
Maybe cus I'm legally blind, I say your stats are correct for me.

Guy's gotta watch his health, that's pretty much what's most important on physical. All the rest? Idiosyncratic.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 PM

600 posts, read 824,374 times
I saw some guy at my gym injecting steroids yesterday. I think it's asinine that men risk their health over that. Most women actually don't find massive bodybuilder muscles attractive. I've heard that many times.

The slender male swimmers physique appeals more yet I see a lot of meat heads at my gym with excessive muscle.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
After being on this forum - I've learned to phrase things differently. It's not that looks don't matter at all to me - it's that the total package matters more to me than looks alone. Who a person is heavily influences how attractive I find them. Guys that are hot at first glance can become ordinary or even ugly - and guys that I wouldn't think twice about at first glance can become incredibly sexy to me. I mean - the opposite can happen as well - it's not like someone hot automatically becomes ugly and an ugly guy automatically becomes hot.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:08 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I

So anyways, that's my observation. Men: 80/20, Women:50/50.....
Why not do a quick search online to see if there's any data available about this?

Old 06-19-2014, 12:37 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,012 times
Yes, looks matter and we all have our own individual preferences.

But they still matter in the sense that someone we see as attractive captures out attention before the less attractive individual with the bombastic personality.

Looks are the very first thing we notice about a person because it's the first thing we see.

I do think often times, women in particular, who feel they don't fit some universal definition of attractive try to downplay the importance of looks and attraction within a relationship. They're the ones who claim to have no preferences or to not care about a mans height or whatever, therefore men shouldn't care about a woman appearance.

Doesn't matter whether looks matter more to men or women. Some people are obsessed with this blame game as if they're completely free of preferences or standards.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:32 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
It's like a job interview looks can get you in the door but to close the deal you need to have substance and personality.

Never figured out why 5 foot nothing woman only date 6 foot plus though.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Everyone wants someone they find attractive, but there is no universal definition of what a woman finds attractive. My top 20% guy is totally different than those of my friends.

For women, perceived attractiveness can change greatly as well. Based on additional traits or how the parter (or potential partner) makes her feel. Every woman has a story about someone they initially found unattractive that became sexy and appealing after she got to know him or interacted with him in a different environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships