Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:28 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Overreaction alert.
You say that as if everyone has a mental illness therefore it's an unreasonable preference.

Has nothing to do with being flawless.

well in this country it's an epidemic but people like to act like it's not. It's not just about BigPharm, it's a real problem. Mass shootings anyone? (This is not to say everyone with a mental illness goes that way but mental health is out of control in this country).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Every guy I have dated has had a history of some sort of mental illness. A bout of depression or clinical depression or anxiety. I told one ex about my depression and anxiety on day two, I think. And that's when he opened up about his panic disorder.

The one before, it was also very early on. I was never one to shy away from it or "hide" it. There are many millions of Americans that deal with an illness. My current husband has a history of depression. He opened up about that early on, and is what lead him to pursue martial arts as his form of therapy.

I can't think of one guy I dated briefly or for a longer period of time that didn't have something. I even briefly dated a guy who dealt with PTSD in the past.

I prefer to get real, and I'm pretty much an open book with the right person. It hasn't ever backfired, and I've never been "turned down" because of it.
amen. personally if there is a mental or physical issue, then it should come out early. personally i believe that if someone cant handle it, they should be able to make that decision upfront and avoid wasting time. what good does it do to date someone, and hide the fact that you have say kidney disease, or heart disease, or ptsd, or what ever. if they think they can handle it, then let them try. if they cant handle it, you and they should know up front so that time and energy is not wasted.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
well in this country it's an epidemic but people like to act like it's not. It's not just about BigPharm, it's a real problem. Mass shootings anyone? (This is not to say everyone with a mental illness goes that way but mental health is out of control in this country).
Yes, it's a problem, but not everyone has a mental illness. And it's not an unreasonable preference.

Obesity is also an epidemic (which according many who suffer from laziness it's genetic), but that doesn't mean it's unreasonable to prefer someone who isn't overweight or obese.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Yes, it's a problem, but not everyone has a mental illness. And it's not an unreasonable preference.

Obesity is also an epidemic (which according many who suffer from laziness it's genetic), but that doesn't mean it's unreasonable to prefer someone who isn't overweight or obese.

you say it's not unreasonable I think it is. pish posh, whatever. People with mental illness didn't ask for it, not comparable to obesity. As long as the person is medicated and has it under control they shouldn't be put out to pasture for mentally ill but like I said whatever, nothing new.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
you say it's not unreasonable I think it is. pish posh, whatever. People with mental illness didn't ask for it, not comparable to obesity. As long as the person is medicated and has it under control they shouldn't be put out to pasture for mentally ill but like I said whatever, nothing new.
there again, the person dating the one with a mental illness should know about it. some people cannot handle things like that, others can. if you cant handle it, its not a crime, its just the way you are.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:37 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
You do know what they say a little cray in the head very crazy in bed.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
You do know what they say a little cray in the head very crazy in bed.
they also say never sleep with someone crazier than you.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:43 PM

130 posts, read 111,842 times
In my opinion as soon as possible and very naturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships