Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times

Advertisements

Even the best blended families are a mess. Behind the smiles there's a lot of anguish, aggravation and hard feelings. Not saying people don't have the right to live their lives, but the things adults do because they feel like it, definitely affect the kids.

Our lives nowadays are strange. On the one hand, the kids are allowed to act crazy and get all kinds of material things. On the other hand, why not? After all, their parents are doing anything they want, breaking up families constantly, and introducing into the family people they fall into infatuation with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,652 times
I'm a single mom but wouldn't allow a man to have sleep overs with my child in the home. It's very inappropriate to me and pretty much speaks to the stereotype about single parents have a revolving door of suitors. That can mess with a kids mind. I also would never let a man meet my son unless it was very serious and I knew in my heart that he was marriage material and someone that would be a great role model for my son.

On the other hand just because one is a parent does not change that they are human and seek companionship, sex, fun, etc. The key is to do so in a way that does not have any impact on the child's life in anyway unless again that person is a keeper. I don't think that a single parent must opt out of dating until their child is 18. Just be cautious is all I say. I would remarry, and live with the new man I married, with my son, if I met the right man. However in any other situation it's a big no. You can have a sleepover with the man at his house when the kids aren't home.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:28 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
OK, one thing I have never done in all my years is have a man over while my kids were home. But here I am now officially divorced and living full time with my two kids, 19 and 12. I am thinking of having someone over(night), who they do know. Is that ok? Does it make a difference that they know him? Or is it just bad all around?
If it is okay for their dad, it is okay for you.

Too often, divorced dads get to go on with their lives and form new relationships, while divorced moms are expected to maintain the illusion that they are mothers and nothing else. Both your kids are old enough to understand that while you are their mother, you are also a human being with your own needs as desires for love, sex, companionship, etc. Don't give in to a double standard.

That said, it is probably better that your kids know the man first. I would give the same advice to your ex husband.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I'm a single mom but wouldn't allow a man to have sleep overs with my child in the home. It's very inappropriate to me and pretty much speaks to the stereotype about single parents have a revolving door of suitors. That can mess with a kids mind. I also would never let a man meet my son unless it was very serious and I knew in my heart that he was marriage material and someone that would be a great role model for my son.

On the other hand just because one is a parent does not change that they are human and seek companionship, sex, fun, etc. The key is to do so in a way that does not have any impact on the child's life in anyway unless again that person is a keeper. I don't think that a single parent must opt out of dating until their child is 18. Just be cautious is all I say. I would remarry, and live with the new man I married, with my son, if I met the right man. However in any other situation it's a big no. You can have a sleepover with the man at his house when the kids aren't home.
True, and the same applies to the father of the kids.

If the dad has the kids over, bringing in some woman to sleep with him is definitely a horrific idea.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
True, and the same applies to the father of the kids.

If the dad has the kids over, bringing in some woman to sleep with him is definitely a horrific idea.
Why is it "horrific?"

I agree that bringing over someone who the kids don't know, or having a revolving door of paramours, is a bad idea. But why should kids be unaware that their parents are normal human beings with normal human needs? Why should divorced parents create the illusion that they are celibate for their children?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Why is it "horrific?"

I agree that bringing over someone who the kids don't know, or having a revolving door of paramours, is a bad idea. But why should kids be unaware that their parents are normal human beings with normal human needs? Why should divorced parents create the illusion that they are celibate for their children?
Because it affects children. How would you have wanted your mom or dad to have brought strangers (non-family) to your home to have sex with? Not good at all. If you are a man and want children, you need to understand that your life will no longer be that of a single man, and accept it, or just not have kids. Nothing wrong with being a guy who has no offspring. Then you can bring all the women you want to your bed. Right?

Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,585 times
You know, I keep thinking, as I keep hearing how everything "will affect the kids." My parents were loving, upstanding, devout Catholics who stayed together faithfully for 53 years. And now I'm a screw up. Go figure.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,483,555 times
Although you are divorced, you are not really "single." The implication of singleness is that you have no one to answer to, and you can do whatever you want--especially in your own home. In your situation, your home is NOT yours alone. You share it with your children. You are their role model; everything you do has a big impact on them. You have to take their needs into consideration. I can assure you that having a man you're not married to stay overnight with you would be traumatic for them.

I don't think it's right to have a man stay overnight when your children are in the house. Your children will lose respect for you and resent the man. Wait until the kids are not around.

I think the only time your children should know there is a man in your bed is if you remarry.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Because it affects children. How would you have wanted your mom or dad to have brought strangers (non-family) to your home to have sex with? Not good at all. If you are a man and want children, you need to understand that your life will no longer be that of a single man, and accept it, or just not have kids. Nothing wrong with being a guy who has no offspring. Then you can bring all the women you want to your bed. Right?
I don't understand that at all.

My parents divorced when I was 6. Both had subsequent relationships of which I was fully aware. Both had long-term romantic partners who would spend the night. Growing up, that taught me my parents were more than just my mommy and daddy. It taught me they were full human beings, with their own wants, needs and desires. It taught me that I was not the center of the universe, that my parents didn't exist solely to cater to my every need. That was a valuable lesson.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,233 times
Quote:
They wouldn't be a stranger by the time they are coming over for the night though. Almost every single parent I know that has started dating again first waits until its serious, then introduces the new partner to the children in a slow manner for instance meeting on neutral ground first, like the park, and letting the kid(s) get to know the new partner before there are any overnights.
I think it would be much more traumatic to keep the relationship secret until you decide its marriage/moving in together time and then introduce them to the kid(s) and say hey here's your new stepdad/mum (I know someone who this has happened to, and although it worked out alright in the end it was still a horrible experience at the time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships