Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,534,867 times

Advertisements

Yes, we all know that looks aren't everything. Let's say you meet someone who's interested in you who has a lot of qualities that you find attractive. Let's say that the person is also physically attractive, but just not what you usually go for. If you've been obsessed with blondes all your life and always imagined yourself with a blonde, would it be fair to "settle" for a brunette if you know that your love for blondes is so deeply ingrained that you'll never EVER really stop lusting for blondes? (No, this isn't about Elliot Rodger.) I'm just asking whether it's possible to go against your type and truly be happy with that decision. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 AM

102,068 posts, read 107,003,261 times
I think the more flexible people are with their preferences, the more chances they have to find happiness. Kind of obvious.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:31 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,598,295 times
I would never get hung up on something as trivial as hair color. And I don't see it as settling if you go for someone who doesn't look quite like the people you're normally attracted to.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 AM

174 posts, read 229,542 times
How about asking her to dye her hair? It's a real quick fix.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,337,132 times
I'm not picky about complexion, hair and eye color. I preferred men around my height, so 5'9", but I went out with men who were 5'8" and it was no biggie.

There are certain things I don't or try not to budge on. Certain features. But it depends on the individual's features and how it all suits him.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,534,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated View Post
How about asking her to dye her hair? It's a real quick fix.
I'm just using hair as an example, but it could be any trait that you generally prefer.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:45 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,162,828 times
I THINK I could.

Now, the most guys I see are fiction. Tv/Books. Because where I live doesn't give much variety, or good options.

Now, usually I tend to the the gruff around the edges, but soft types. Alpha with the passionate/sensual/loving side.

But there was a film I watch, an old 70s film. The guy I liked was not classically handsome, nor was he a tough guy either. He was silly and goofy. But I found him attractive because he seemed fun. He seemed like a guy you may be able to go out and laugh and have a great time with. That made him cuter. He was a doctor, so he wasn't an idiot. But he didn't take himself too seriously. Least, that's the impression I got of him. And he did some weird stuff in the past, but was confident in who he was, and had no shame admitting to it.

So, if a guy doesn't seem completely submissive/wussy, then if I got to know him and he was fun and sweet, I may be able to date him. It really depends on the guy rather than me making a general statement for what I would do.

So, I go for the alpha type, and have a fantasy of getting that. But chances are, if I do get someone, he will not be what I pictured. But if so, it's because he may be better. There are times when you're attracted to something, and you want it, but sometimes you don't get what you want, and it turns out to work better.

My friend liked the tall, muscular, shaved, bad boy types. Her boyfriend sounds alpha--not taking crap. But he's fat, hairy, and she states he isn't cute. He's physically the opposite of everything she wanted in a man. And I told her that, and we both laughed about it. She agreed he was, but said she loved him and wouldn't trade him for anything.

So sometimes what you want, isn't as good as what you end up getting--even if it's different, provided you don't "just settle." And to me, settling is going with, and staying with, someone you don't like, can't see anything with, or know is bad for you, but you keep them for lack of other options--in your opinion. If you genuinely like the person, and they are just wonderful, then it's not settling just because it's not what you pictured.

And going on the traits I usually go for. Some guys I liked I thought were plain ugly at first. But they had personality traits I liked, then the whole package became sexy. Their personality, and their looks.

And the reverse. A good-looking guy, but he was a jerk and very spoiled and whiny. So, that killed his looks as well lol

Last edited by HappyRain; 06-22-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 09:47 AM

103 posts, read 128,535 times
I wouldn't really comprise on my desired personality traits, but if it's a physical trait I wouldn't usually go for but it works for them then yes, I would date them.

You could find that something you never thought you'd like ends up being something you can't live without

Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 AM

102,068 posts, read 107,003,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion Fruit View Post
I wouldn't really comprise on my desired personality traits, but if it's a physical trait I wouldn't usually go for but it works for them then yes, I would date them.

You could find that something you never thought you'd like ends up being something you can't live without
So well put! Love can surprise you, definitely.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,650,303 times
i dont focus in an any particular physical trait. for instance i love women with long luscious hair, but if the women prefers short hair, its not a deal breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships