Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:17 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post
Generalities or anecdotal. Seems nothing has merit on the great CD forum......unless you agree with it lol
The only thing I will probably agree on is not applying generalities to individuals. It's the fall back position of a limited mind.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:21 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,193,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The only thing I will probably agree on is not applying generalities to individuals. It's the fall back position of a limited mind.
The problem with this forum is that it is completely sopolistic. Even if the topic is discussing a generality, 6 posters will chime in with their anecdotal personal one off experience and claim the generality isn't true. It's obnoxious.

Anecdotes do not trump generality

Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Generalities or anecdotal. Seems nothing has merit on the great CD forum......unless you agree with it lol
Ah yes. Attack the forum for daring to disagree with you instead of asking whether you might actually be wrong.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,363 times
Look, my post is addressing the modern day, strong, intelligent, self proclaimed feminists who DO struggle in the dating world.

They can't continuously sit back and blame men or their jobs for being the sole reason as to why they struggle with dating. Could it be their environment? Sure

But if they're going on dates with guys they deem "normal" and decent and those dates are never getting anywhere, one does have to do some reflecting and look back on themselves.

What else do you as a smart, intelligent, career driven woman have to offer other than walking around and trying to convince everyone around you that you are indeed these things.

Does a comedian have to tell people they're funny? No. So why do certain women feel the need to walk around advertising how they are supposedly smart, intelligent, career driven etc? It WILL show once people get to know you.
But a lot of those women do walk around with a chip on their shoulders and feel that it's necessary to constantly repeat (to themselves and the world ) how they're this way and that way.

I never once said all career driven feminists are single or struggle. But the post was speaking to those who do. In the first line it's rather obvious.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:35 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,363 times
Quote:
The problem with this forum is that it is completely sopolistic. Even if the topic is discussing a generality, 6 posters will chime in with their anecdotal personal one off experience and claim the generality isn't true. It's obnoxious.

Anecdotes do not trump generality
What you're saying is true. Folks on here only like generalizations when they agree with them. If they don't agree with the generalization, then it's all of a sudden incorrect.

Most posters on here have the opinion that "my opinion is more correct than your opinion"

No need to derail the thread over shenanigans. My post was only speaking to the career driven feminists who do struggle.

I take it we have some feminists on here who just cannot fathom that a woman could possibly be the obstacle keeping herself from being successful in any aspect of her life.

Of course, some folks are only in agreement with "positive" generalizations, which are no better than the negative ones. When you accept the positive, you're also accepting the negative.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Ah yes. Attack the forum for daring to disagree with you instead of asking whether you might actually be wrong.
That's weird, I didn't share an opinion on this post.

And we all know DC, nor the women he props up, are never wrong

Old 06-22-2014, 07:02 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Generalities blow your credibility. When I know it's false, I stop reading. It defeats the purpose of even posting.

Of course, personal attacks do the same thing.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Generalities blow your credibility. When I know it's false, I stop reading. It defeats the purpose of even posting.

Of course, personal attacks do the same thing.
Translation: if I don't agree with the point, I avoid reading the post to make sure the mental bubble I've built doesn't burst nor do I have to do any real work in counter pointing.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Translation: if I don't agree with the point, I avoid reading the post to make sure the mental bubble I've built doesn't burst nor do I have to do any real work in counter pointing.
Come on, you can do better than this.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
From my experience, A lot of them aren't really "successful" though. They simply have a degree with a decent to good job. I remember a goddamn social worker tried to argue that the reason men don't approach her is because they're intimidated by her success and I was like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships